NIL and recruiting

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
I've been out of the loop for a while and came back to the NIL **** show. Every kid who isn't a jag is a free agent every year going to highest bidding billionaire. Seems like recruiting is finished. Just get your program's billionaire benefactor to set the roster each year with his own salary cap. If your program doesn't have a billionaire benefactor, you may as well go D3. This is so completely ridiculous, untenable and retarded.

P.S. Dewan Huell Hernandez lost his eligibility over taking $500. Smh.

Advertisement
I'm 100% with you. NIL has quickly, and predictably, ruined college sports. If kids want to get paid, they should skip college and just go pro. We all know that a good number of them aren't really getting the same college education as the non-athlete anyway, even if the diploma is the same.

And spare me the crap about student athletes being "slaves" or used by the University. They were already compensated well with scholarships, housing and meal plans. If the problem is that they were hungry still, the solution is to feed them better - not give them fancy new cars and wads of cash. If the problem is other Universities getting away with dropping bags to gain an unfair advantage, then enforce the existing amateur rules to actually punish them and stop that crap.

There is a very small piece of Miami native and UM alum pride that keeps me (barely) interested in the success of UM athletics. But between the b.s. kneeling, blm protesting and other woke crap embraced and promoted by the University, and now this NIL bidding on the best athletes garbage, I see a lot more Saturdays and Sundays spent in the woods and on the water than in front of a TV.

I'm 100% with you. NIL has quickly, and predictably, ruined college sports. If kids want to get paid, they should skip college and just go pro. We all know that a good number of them aren't really getting the same college education as the non-athlete anyway, even if the diploma is the same.

And spare me the crap about student athletes being "slaves" or used by the University. They were already compensated well with scholarships, housing and meal plans. If the problem is that they were hungry still, the solution is to feed them better - not give them fancy new cars and wads of cash. If the problem is other Universities getting away with dropping bags to gain an unfair advantage, then enforce the existing amateur rules to actually punish them and stop that crap.

There is a very small piece of Miami native and UM alum pride that keeps me (barely) interested in the success of UM athletics. But between the b.s. kneeling, blm protesting and other woke crap embraced and promoted by the University, and now this NIL bidding on the best athletes garbage, I see a lot more Saturdays and Sundays spent in the woods and on the water than in front of a TV.
I understand some of your points and I too don't like how quickly the NIL deals seem to be spiraling out of control. I think $400k a year for Pack or any other player is way too much money. I wouldn't have paid that, but who are we to put limitations on how much money an individual can make? Who are we to tell Ruiz how to spend his money? If we were to go back to the old rules, scholarship athletes wouldn't be allowed to work any jobs. They'd only be depending solely off the scholarship money they get monthly and whatever if any money their families could muster up for them. Again, for my taste I think too much money is being thrown around. However, I don't have a problem with student-athletes getting compensated and maximizing their opportunities. If a UM student on scholarship, majoring in computer science can go get a job while still in school for $100k+ a year, why can't a UM student majoring in football or basketball do the same? I think it's very hypocritical of us to encourage one but not the other.

Just say you never understood the problem without actually saying you never understood the problem. These kids would make no outside money at all based solely on the fact they would be working two full time jobs by being a scholar athlete with making scraps if they could even have time to have a part time job and having to watch what they earned for their next 2-3 years to risk being deemed ineligible by the corrupt NCAA. “bUt ThEy’Re GeTtInG FrEe EdUcAtIOn” that hardly covers all the exposure these athletes bring to their respective university. Ohio State Football is literally worth a 1 billion dollars if not more and before last year, those kids saw nothing of it. And let’s not get into the college stars that got injured and lost millions overnight. NIL is the best thing that could have happened to get players compensated. Are there regulations needed? Sure. The roof was gonna get blown open at some point and Miami fans are so glad to see Ruiz in their corner, otherwise this board would be singing a whole different tune

Problem is, this was NEVER going to happen. For a couple of reasons. 1)There is a protected class that was never going to get punished, even in the face of exposed blatant cheating. 2)Some of these schools had gotten so good at it, the burden of proof was incredibly difficult. I don’t necessarily love the direction this thing has gone, but at least everyone is playing by the same rules now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back