NIL and One time transfer rule tabled

Advertisement
Advertisement
There’s no way kids will have to sit. None. NCAA already made it nearly a formality before covid. Even under the old system a kid like Tyrique would easily qualify for hardship after this mess.

Nah, I must have that wrong.

Maybe this season has the immediate waiver approved.

But the NCAA hasn't decided if the one time waiver will apply forever.

Nah, I must have that wrong.

Maybe this season has the immediate waiver approved.

But the NCAA hasn't decided if the one time waiver will apply forever.
Yes I think you are correct. A 1-time transfer rule is already in effect this year for all student-athletes who were on a roster this fall. So anyone currently in the portal should be fine as I understand it.

Advertisement
Miami: “The University of Miami has agreed to participate in the upcoming version of the EA Sports College Football video game, which currently means UM will be solely represented by our institutional brands and marks. When the NCAA and/or state laws allow for group licensing, we are in full support of those measures as it will benefit our student-athletes.”

Advertisement
Why are student athletes treated differently from regular students who decide to change schools..key word the NCAA loves “students”..nah this is a semi pro system..it’s been that. Now they want to renig on student athletes mobility..it’s ridiculous

Why are student athletes treated differently from regular students who decide to change schools..key word the NCAA loves “students”..nah this is a semi pro system..it’s been that. Now they want to renig on student athletes mobility..it’s ridiculous

They aren't.

However, the athletic scholarship IS treated differently. The LOI is also a contract.

I was on an academic scholarship at Miami. If I had transferred to another school, I would have lost my UM scholarship and probably not have received an equivalent scholarship at my new school.

Miami: “The University of Miami has agreed to participate in the upcoming version of the EA Sports College Football video game, which currently means UM will be solely represented by our institutional brands and marks. When the NCAA and/or state laws allow for group licensing, we are in full support of those measures as it will benefit our student-athletes.”

I thought the State Legislature had already passed the needed NIL bill?

Advertisement
They aren't.

However, the athletic scholarship IS treated differently. The LOI is also a contract.

I was on an academic scholarship at Miami. If I had transferred to another school, I would have lost my UM scholarship and probably not have received an equivalent scholarship at my new school.
If you had the grades you could’ve gotten another scolly at another institution that would’ve given u a scolly..and i doubt you’d have to sit out a semester

I thought the State Legislature had already passed the needed NIL bill?
from the same article:
Then, California proposed and passed state legislation that would allow its college athletes to profit off of their own names, images and likenesses. Other states rushed to do the same; the topic has gained widespread bipartisan support in recent years. Florida’s law, which is set to take effect on July 1, 2021, is the current pressure point. That’s a serious time crunch to figure out a federal solution to the problem to supersede state laws. Otherwise, Florida athletes will legally be allowed to receive compensation while athletes in other states can’t. This is why the NCAA is lobbying Congress for federal legislation and a national standard. Though it has had a working group looking at NCAA legislation itself, it’s almost not worth doing right now as it waits for the framework of what will be legal from Congress and/or the Supreme Court.

There are two main storylines to follow over the coming months. The first is the Supreme Court, which has agreed to hear the Alston case at the end of March. This is one of the lawsuits against the NCAA regarding how and how much athletes could be compensated while in college. Though the Supreme Court currently has a conservative majority, there’s really no telling what it might rule in this case. No one knows if the Court will choose to rule narrowly on the specific situation in the lawsuit or if it would rule more broadly on the idea of college athlete compensation.

Meanwhile, Congress will work through its legislative process. Right now, there are six proposed federal bills (sponsored by representatives on both sides of the aisle). At some point, Republicans and Democrats will have to start horse-trading and figure out which legislation will advance toward becoming federal law. For video game enthusiasts, the key provision is group licensing. That will allow EA Sports to negotiate with someone representing all current football players and then use actual current players’ likenesses in the game. Not all of the proposed federal bills include group licensing.

from the same article:

Hadn't noticed the hyperlink in your comment, thanks!

Edit: It seems like the Roberts' court is a fairly safe bet to rule rather narrowly almost to the point that I'm not sure if its worth working to hard to guess at where a "conservative" court would come down on such a niche, non-partisan issue.

It seems the second story line is more operative and ties into the NCAAs mindset. Have the Florida or other states laws already provided a bipartisan blue print, or worse, shaken loose any partisan lightning rods? I can't help but think the NCAAs resignation about not bothering to answer the questions themselves with the US Congress on the job might be overestimating their ability to pass .... anything.

Last edited:
The word "tabled" has two equally valid meanings. The first meaning is to bring something up for discussion.

The second is to put something off until later.

So when this reporter says the NCAA has voted to table the vote on the NIL and one-time transfer rule, what the **** does he mean? I hate it when supposedly professional writers suck at the English language. Buddy, you have ONE job...

Advertisement
Back