NIL and College Baseball

TriStarCane

Coaching Carousel 2029
There is crazy money being thrown around right now. I am so intrigued but what this can do for college baseball. We just gave Pack an 800k deal over two years. You do $400k per year over the 3 years of a baseball player’s eligibility after HS and we are talking $1.2 million, which is a second round bonus slot.

Could you start enticing first rounders to skip the draft to match their bonus slot over 3-4 years? Could you use it to overcome scholarship limits? Could change the game, especially for us.

Advertisement
There is crazy money being thrown around right now. I am so intrigued but what this can do for college baseball. We just gave Pack an 800k deal over two years. You do $400k per year over the 3 years of a baseball player’s eligibility after HS and we are talking $1.2 million, which is a second round bonus slot.

Could you start enticing first rounders to skip the draft to match their bonus slot over 3-4 years? Could you use it to overcome scholarship limits? Could change the game, especially for us.

It's already happening somewhat. Last summer after winning the CWS Miss St announced they'd use NIL to make sure their whole team was on the equivalent of full scholarships.

In general though there's a lot less money/interest in college baseball and recruits already turn down $1 Millon+ to come here (Rosario, Mederos, Morales, Cecconi, Carrier, Eskew all had MLB interest in that range).

Plus baseball recruiting is far more inexact than football/basketball (again just look at Rosario/Mederos). So yeah NIL deals have their place (probably more for transfers), but I don't think it really compares to football/basketball

Like the NIL deals that would make the most sense for us and baseball would be to get our best draft-eligible players to come back for another year.

That be guys such as Walters and Burke (4th-6th rd projected) and Romero (8th-10th rd projected)

Like the NIL deals that would make the most sense for us and baseball would be to get our best draft-eligible players to come back for another year.

That be guys such as Walters and Burke (4th-6th rd projected) and Romero (8th-10th rd projected)
Definitely see some portal situations (like Pack) where some NIL deals could be done as you mentioned.

I agree about HS recruits. Not only is it inexact, you’re specifically offering and taking commits so early in HS compared to football and basketball, that I don’t think NIL is a plausible part of the process.

I guess I didn’t realize this was already happening like that. The idea of getting everyone at least their full tuition covered through an NIL alone would make college more attractive.

Advertisement
They talked about this during the broadcast last night. Since the draft slots have slotted salaries, they seemed to thing this might be a useful strategy for players on the margins of signing. they also pointed out that because you have to stay for three years once enrolled, that might be a complicating factor.

They talked about this during the broadcast last night. Since the draft slots have slotted salaries, they seemed to thing this might be a useful strategy for players on the margins of signing. they also pointed out that because you have to stay for three years once enrolled, that might be a complicating factor.
I missed that. And thats true on the multi-year thing. One place it might be a bigger factor is JUCO recruiting since there is already next level production and a shorter window on campus.

seems like it could essentially obliterate the 11.7 scholie restrictions that seem to hamstring a school like UM more than cheaper schools like UF or FSU. That is if all the players got a nice basic deal.

This is the best opportunity in baseball, especially since COVID (more 21 year-old draft eligible sophomores).

Advertisement
Definitely see some portal situations (like Pack) where some NIL deals could be done as you mentioned.

I agree about HS recruits. Not only is it inexact, you’re specifically offering and taking commits so early in HS compared to football and basketball, that I don’t think NIL is a plausible part of the process.
Yep you can use it best in the portal and around draft time. You can’t sign a 16 year old to a $200k a year deal and expect that to be sustainable. Half of them don’t pan out. Although it is different for pitchers. If the kid throws 95 at 16, barring injury, I think you can go ahead and pencil him in for 6 figures.

But it’ll be best for NIL to come in after final draft grades come out and even after the draft happens.

Where I see it helping is players drafted after the 10th round. Very few good seniors on any team as it is now. The good ones sign pro contracts after their Jr year even if not a high draft pick.NIL could entice them to come back for their senior season.

At the very least, every roster spot tuition on the team should be taken care of.

Question from a baseball recruiting newbie: how early do hs baseball players sign their NLOI? I know hs recruits commit very early but is it just a verbal? Is it plausible to re-engineer the classes once they are in their hs senior year (after seeing how they developed), and then come in with the NIL’s to the best developed?

Where I see it helping is players drafted after the 10th round. Very few good seniors on any team as it is now. The good ones sign pro contracts after their Jr year even if not a high draft pick.NIL could entice them to come back for their senior season.
I’ll be interested to see how many of the high schoolers who are 10-20th round picks you can keep. A lot of those guys just don’t want to go to school anymore. I wonder if money can change that.

Advertisement
That and there a fewer draft rounds now and far fewer minor league teams.

Maybe we can convince Elijah Greene to come to school.

If a school matches your projected slot, there is really no reason to go live the ****** life of the minors.

Come get paid roughly the same, get an education, live on a campus full of hot girls where you are the center of attention.

Advertisement
Back