Nike deal

“ur logic in attempting to change my POV regarding this specific topic.”

Lol not everything is an attack/criticism. I wasn’t trying to change your opinion about anything. I read what you wrote and it made me curious what SVBs stock was before they crashed.

OK, I can see that. And my homegirl was greatly affected by SVB. That’s what happens when all ur clients r techies & start up companies, & then paranoia sets in due to the market. All these companies were pulling up their $$ ALL at the same time.

Advertisement
Strange Use of the word IDEAL there. Cause In an idea situation we have a guaranteed contract that pays us more than any other school in the country without having to sell as the #1 school lol. Yall keep preaching as if backend money is better than upfront money even if the up front money is higher. Would I rather have guaranteed #1 pay up front, or have to perform on the backend to hopefully get paid #1? hmm such a difficult question. I mean you said IDEAL right?... Simply put, The closer you get to up-front Guaranteed #1 payout, the less sense you make talking about back-end royalties being better. Would back-end focused deal be better than getting paid #20 up front? Yes. Better than top 5? No - especially if it scales with time. The entire discussion all yall have been making regarding MONEY between Nike and Adidas has been completely uncompelling. If the up front offer is high enough, I'd prefer that, period. And in this situation Nike would be heavily incentivized to sell as much of our **** as possible to make sure they profit. See how this is the "IDEAL" deal FOR US.

At the end of the day the reality of your argument is ONLY 2 pretty factual things: Nike will have better (and more) merch for fans and it will be better for recruiting. And some of you also hold the opinion that Nike Uniforms are better - which is completely subjective and I disagree with. Thats it. I really don't know why yall keep wanting to make it so much more than that as if the cash is ALSO one of the reason to switch from Adidas to Nike/JB when it so obviously isn't. Yall value Nike/JB as intrinsically worth a ~$2M/yr advantage over Adidas/UA/whoever else. The cherry on top of this debate is: Did I ever disagree with that? lol. Thats the funniest thing about all this. I prefer our current Adidas uniforms to anything we've had since 01. And I think we are making more money from them. So I've been fine with Adidas. The amount of recruits that are put-off by Adidas for recruiting likely isn't more valuable than $2M. How many quality player can an additional $2M in NIL buy? lol... If the money is similar, the uniforms don't get ****ed, and we switch to nike/Jordan will I be happy? Yes.

Lastly you saying the competition is between the schools, just obviously makes no sense whatsoever in relation to what I was saying. Sure the competition in merch sales and obviously on field performance is between the schools. And that may be the difference in one school selling as the #1 school and #10... But if Nike doesn't have quality competition, what is stopping them from lowering the royalties on those sales in future contracts leading to less TOTAL revenue. You can still be the #1 selling school, and making LESS total money in that case. Or are you going to argue that undeniable fact? Please don't, because I really don't want to read paragraphs from you making up reasons monopoly power would be good.

To make @Angry Ibis less angry, I will be (relatively) brief, in contrast to your dense nonsense.

First, I'm going to laugh at your appeal to laziness. Sure, we should take a bloated guarantee so that we can just be a fat blood-filled tick that doesn't have to win games or make an effort to sell our merchandise.

Second, I'm also laughing at your lack of real-world experience in such matters. While you CONTINUE to make your same one argument over and over again (guarantees > royalties), I've actually lived in the world of sports and royalties and I know how the math works. And while I'm not saying that adidas would ever default on a guarantee, I have witnessed a major merchandise company failing to make its guaranteed payments, and it's brutal.

Finally, I would point out that your inexperience and unawareness of how the industry works is evidenced in your final paragraph. You are so insanely obsessed with "textbook business school concepts" that you make idiotic conclusions. "What is stopping them from lowering the royalties on those sales in future contracts"? Give me a ******* break. Based on your moronic grasp of business, we should conclude that the REAL end game for Nike is to put everyone out of business, and the lower the royalties to zero. Suuuuure.

But that's not what happens. There are industry standards. And if you honestly believe that Nike is so rapacious and greedy and willing to shaft its business partners, then a NATURAL opportunity will arise for adidas and Under Armour to revitalize themselves simply by paying a higher royalty. It's not just "actual competition" that can be a force in business; "fear of increased competition" can also guide a dominant company to NOT **** over its business partners.

I realize that you will NEVER put your business textbooks down in order to observe how things work in the industry, and you will NEVER give up on the crazy idea that "guarantees are better than royalties".

And that's why you're wrong and people don't listen to your predictable ravings. We only respond to you so that less discerning posters don't assume you know something.

Silicon Valley Bank did a speedrun going from $267.83/share to $0.40/share in 20 days...

Yay, you can google!

Oh lord, now you are comparing a company that went bankrupt (duh, the stock becomes worthless) to a still-operating company that is an industry leader.

But thanks for the incomparable comparison citing Silicon Valley Bank...

Advertisement
"They have continued to plummet in their valuation at a rate I’ve not seen before."

I was giving an example of another significant plummet.

Holy ****, does someone need to cite every contextual limiter in order for you NOT to respond with a dumb example?

He's talking about companies that are still-existing, and for whom the decrease is due to their poor (but not fatal) business practices.

Do you want me to give you 100 OTHER examples of companies that had a significant plummet while going bankrupt or out of business?

But, hey, thanks for your significant contributions. You REEEEALLY advance the conversation with these great "examples"...

I’m both perplexed & vexed by this. U do understand context, don’t u?

This thread about apparel, so y would u use the financial market? This is not a general market discussion, & the financial industry has plummeted numerous times throughout American/World History. So I’m confused by ur logic in attempting to change my POV regarding this specific topic.

He does NOT understand context. He just wanted to score a point on you.

“ur logic in attempting to change my POV regarding this specific topic.”

Lol not everything is an attack/criticism. I wasn’t trying to change your opinion about anything. I read what you wrote and it made me curious what SVBs stock was before they crashed.

OK, so you satisfied your curiosity. You didn't have to post about it.

Advertisement
Sure, we should take a bloated guarantee so that we can just be a fat blood-filled tick that doesn't have to win games or make an effort to sell our merchandise.

To settle this, I'll ask this question:

Based on the performance of the athletic department under Blake James's (mis)management, the apparel sales numbers, merch availability (assuming it would have been similar under Nike...not sure if it's a valid assumption, but I do know there were lots of Nike collegiate releases like shoes and other gear for other schools that weren't available for Miami - likely due to decisions made with the previous regime) - and the way Blake ran things under his watch; When you take all those variables into account, which deal would have made the school more money before we started to make a real investment into building a sustainable winning program?

Based on the performance of the athletic department under Blake James's (mis)management, the apparel sales numbers, merch availability (assuming it would have been similar under Nike...not sure if it's a valid assumption, but I do know there were lots of Nike collegiate releases like shoes and other gear for other schools that weren't available for Miami - likely due to decisions made with the previous regime) - and the way Blake ran things under his watch; When you take all those variables into account, which deal would have made the school more money before we started to make a real investment into building a sustainable winning program?

I know this answer will **** off @calinative umstudent ...and depending on what the exact royalty amount was (but @Rellyrell has said it was good)...

I definitely think we would have made more money under Nike.

WHY? It's not just Nike-love.

1. "New coach optimism" - we would have had three separate "new football coach" windows for optimism, when people buy a lot of new merch. Remember "Fear the Tie" t-shirts? Remember "Manny Diaz County" t-shirts? With the Richt and Cristobal hires alone, you are bringing back UM alus as the head coach, and people get excited. And buy merch.

2. "Last 2 years of basketball" - come on, unprecedented Elite 8 and Final 4 runs? Come on, merch sales all day/all night.

3. The transformation of Fanatics and the rise of e-commerce - this has completely transformed the merch sale business and allowed a WIDE range of inventory to be carried year-round on a website, as opposed to "what can fit inside the 4 walls of AllCanes" (and nothing against AllCanes, I LOVE THOSE GUYS).

4. The UM Bookstore - if you showed me a picture of the 2023 UM Bookstore in 1986, I would never have believed it. When I was in school, you maybe had a couple of UM things, plus some of the AllCanes "trash-talk" t-shirts ("The Good/The Bad/The Ugly" and "You Could Learn a Lot from a Dummy"). Now, you can get everything under the sun with UM on it. And I KNOW that not all of that is adidas (or Nike) stuff, I'm just talking about how UM students are now EXPECTING to buy a bunch of UM merch from the age of 18 onward.

5. Customized stuff - Just look at how Nike can do customized stuff with the University logo, LIKE SHOES, unlike what they did in the 1990s and 2000s. And, sure, you can say "but adidas does that too", and that's correct...but who sells more shoes? I guarantee that a UM Pegasus would have outsold a UM Ultraboost. AND I LIKE ULTRABOOSTS.

So you combine 1-5 along with the "Nike increase/everyone else decrease" since 2015?

Yeah, I believe we would have made a lot more money with Nike. But @calinative umstudent will never admit that.

I know this answer will **** off @calinative umstudent ...and depending on what the exact royalty amount was (but @Rellyrell has said it was good)...

I definitely think we would have made more money under Nike.

WHY? It's not just Nike-love.

1. "New coach optimism" - we would have had three separate "new football coach" windows for optimism, when people buy a lot of new merch. Remember "Fear the Tie" t-shirts? Remember "Manny Diaz County" t-shirts? With the Richt and Cristobal hires alone, you are bringing back UM alus as the head coach, and people get excited. And buy merch.

2. "Last 2 years of basketball" - come on, unprecedented Elite 8 and Final 4 runs? Come on, merch sales all day/all night.

3. The transformation of Fanatics and the rise of e-commerce - this has completely transformed the merch sale business and allowed a WIDE range of inventory to be carried year-round on a website, as opposed to "what can fit inside the 4 walls of AllCanes" (and nothing against AllCanes, I LOVE THOSE GUYS).

4. The UM Bookstore - if you showed me a picture of the 2023 UM Bookstore in 1986, I would never have believed it. When I was in school, you maybe had a couple of UM things, plus some of the AllCanes "trash-talk" t-shirts ("The Good/The Bad/The Ugly" and "You Could Learn a Lot from a Dummy"). Now, you can get everything under the sun with UM on it. And I KNOW that not all of that is adidas (or Nike) stuff, I'm just talking about how UM students are now EXPECTING to buy a bunch of UM merch from the age of 18 onward.

5. Customized stuff - Just look at how Nike can do customized stuff with the University logo, LIKE SHOES, unlike what they did in the 1990s and 2000s. And, sure, you can say "but adidas does that too", and that's correct...but who sells more shoes? I guarantee that a UM Pegasus would have outsold a UM Ultraboost. AND I LIKE ULTRABOOSTS.

So you combine 1-5 along with the "Nike increase/everyone else decrease" since 2015?

Yeah, I believe we would have made a lot more money with Nike. But @calinative umstudent will never admit that.

That makes Blake's decision even more egregious.

Yay, you can google!

Oh lord, now you are comparing a company that went bankrupt (duh, the stock becomes worthless) to a still-operating company that is an industry leader.

But thanks for the incomparable comparison citing Silicon Valley Bank...
were calling life wallet an industry leader now? lol im kidding.

Advertisement
a lot of people go through canes wear now which wasn't around before (it was legit only bookstore or all canes to get canes merch). canes wear basically killed all canes imo. bookstore was always hit or miss. it had some good stuff some days and a whole lot of nothing other days when I was at UM (this was during the nike days not Adidas). I generally do actually get gear from Adidas.com if I buy bc they always send coupons and the shipping is fast (compare to that to caneswear and others where not so much). all canes I pretty much stopped going to for a while now other than stopping in when im at Miamis best.

Advertisement

I can "understand" why Beta Blake did what he did. On a cold, logical basis.

But this illustrates two things he failed to consider....

1. Locking into an exceptionally long (12-year) contract can ***** you over as the marketplace evolves.

2. Completely undervaluing the equity of a 25-year partnership and being blinded by "money" as a proxy for a desire to be a long-term partner.

The UM-Nike relationship deteriorated under successively-poorer ADs (Kirby, Shermanator, Beta Blake) and as Beta Blake wanted to make his "signature/legacy move". But even if there is shared blame, you can't put it all on Nike, which has had excellent relationships with dozens and dozens of universities IN THE SAME TIME FRAME.

But the math? It's not great. And then line up all the adidas schools. Is that the crowd we want to hang with? Come on, now.

Last edited:

I’ll try to be as concise as possible:

1. In the short term, The Adidas deal appeared to be the better deal, particularly for the 2015 season.

2. The 2016-18 seasons, in my honest opinion would’ve been a far and away better deal w/ Nike simply b/c of the reinvigoration of the program, & merchandise was selling…a lot of that merchandise was from 3 party retailers, too.

At the end of the day, Blake did what he “felt” was in the best interest of the school, but also what was in his best interest to make a statement as an AD. The problem is, & the issue I had w/ Blake, he was not qualified to be an AD here. His experience was ticket sales.

A lot of decisions he made were very short sighted, and not thoroughly vetted. When the scathing report came out how he didn’t understand language used in our contract w/ Adidas, that gave a glimpse into his qualifications. So it made all the sense in the world the lack of respect shown by Golden & Diaz towards him.

Here’s what’s crazy about the Adidas contract:
-We were told, promised that we would be the flagship program of the ACC, & neither a state school or ACC school would have a more lucrative contract than us.

Our contract is approx. 12 yr/$80

UL during this same period, signed a 10yr/$160m contract! A major part of this was nepotism as Tom Jurich’s daughter is an executive in their marketing dept. Not only does this violate Adidas’ own conflict of interest clause, but it also violates the stipulation that was found in our contract, being that UL is an ACC school.

Since our “marquee” contract in which Adidas was going to showcase & rebrand us:

KU: 14yr/$196m
UL: 10yr/$160m
UW: 10yr/$119m
Neb: 11yr/$128m
IU:$8yr/$54m

*TAMU haven’t released details of their new extension in 2022, but their previous contract was between $7.1 - $7.8m/yr.

I’m just saying, we low key got shafted on the deal & that’s b/c Blake overplayed his hand, while not sitting down & throughly vetting the complete picture.

I recall reading about why UTenn left Adidas, despite more $$, & the AD said, in part, that they had to look at the totality of the contract which included branding, brand recognition, apparel, global reach, finances, & it made sense to go w/ the “perceived” lower offer. So far, it appears UTenn is doing just fine financially. Ironically, Alabama, too, is perceived to have a low contract w/ Nike, yet they’re now reported to be 3rd in revenue despite Texas A&M’s contract “dwarfing” their Nike contract.

That’s the power of back end revenue.

Yet again you thinking youre more important than you are. You don't control what anyone posts.

I didn't say I controlled anyone's posts.

I was just pointing out what a bull**** excuse it was. You claimed you were satisfying your curiosity by googling Silicon Valley Bank, but the reality of why you posted about it was to nitpick @Rellyrell 's post, not because you were "curious".

Advertisement
Back