Nike deal

College football has changed a ton in the last 2 decades. Mario has changed how Oregon approaches things. That said, if Oregon is in the mindset of "We want to hold onto Mario", then they have the wherewithal to do so. That's what most of us are saying. Oregon lost Kelly and Brooks to the NFL, so they weren't going to win those battles. Belotti was a lifer that loved Oregon. Helfrich, had he won would have been in the same boat as Belotti, he spent a good amount of time at Oregon and felt comfortable there.

Cristobal is the only coach, outside of Taggart(Who left Oregon for his "Dream Job") who was even at risk of being poached by a college program. One could have asked the question in regards to WT "Is it worth getting into a bidding war for this guy". Mario, he's the kind of coach that Oregon may decide is worth paying extra, in order to keep him around. The powers that be at Oregon also know that there's a point in which Miami isn't willing to go, even with UHealth providing a cash infusion. Miami isn't going to pay 10 million plus for Mario Cristobal. Miami will just back away if it gets to a bidding war, and go after Lane or someone else.

I've seen some vague bullsh!te arguments before, but this one takes the cake.

"College football has changed a ton in the last 2 decades". Who gives a fvck. As I pointed out, Oregon/Nike have not overspent to ATTRACT OR RETAIN a coach in five decades, a period of time when Nike had plenty of money to do so. There's nothing special about "the last 2 decades" that hasn't been true for five decades. Again, if this was all about "money", and the "desire to spend money", then Oregon wouldn't keep promoting their OCs. Wake up.

"Mario has changed how Oregon approaches things". What a vague load of crap. You can't even explain what that means. No, Mario has not "changed how Oregon approaches things". Has he recruited well for 4 cycles? Sure. But Oregon is still doing what Oregon is going to do. Did Oregon give Mario a benchmark-setting raise/extension after 2 years like Michigan State did for Mel Tucker? Of course not. Because Oregon hasn't changed a **** thing. Mario won the Pac 12 and the Rose Bowl in his second full year, and Oregon didn't give him the Mel Tucker treatment.

"If Oregon is in the mindset...they have the wherewithal to do so..." Again, that has been true for 50 years, and yet Oregon hasn't put up a fight yet. Don't give me crap about "oh, they can't outbid an NFL team". I posted the salary that Brooks got, and Nike **** well could have matched it. Chip was going to the NFL no matter what any university offered. And that's the point anyhow, because dopey arguments like yours always posit the logic that money trumps everything, which is untrue. If a coach really wants to move on, then no money offer will win out. And Oregon has known that for five decades.

As for your bullcrap about what Miami "isn't going to pay", you are clueless. If Mel Tucker resets the market at $8.5 million, then we will **** sure pay Mario comparable (and higher) money. This is what causes so many pvssies to drop out of poker pots and auctions...suddenly, the price goes $5 above their limit, and they panic and fold. HAD HE STAYED, at this point, we'd be paying Richt nearly $7 million. If you think Miami (poised to add $30 million to the operating budget) is going to pvss out over $3 million, then you are entitled to your opinion. But with some of the people driving the train (the Mas brothers), I am not worried about them blanching over a couple million dollars. ****, they gambled (and lost) with Inter Miami's salary cap, so I really don't think the Mas brothers are going to whine about Mario's salary being a bit higher than we would like it to be.

More importantly, look at the jobs that are (or are likely to be) available. USC. LSU. Texas (?). Florida (?). If you don't think that those schools will drive up the price of head coaches (particularly when there is a striking scarcity of high-end coaches beyond Saban and Swinney), then you are just being intentionally hard-headed. Fortunately, none of those schools are Mario's dream-job (and no matter what Kiffin says about Miami, he would take any of those jobs if they offered more money).

"The powers that be at Oregon" also know that Mario loves Miami and UM is his dream job. They are fully aware that the overall considerations and priorities do not put "highest cash offer" at the top of Mario's list of needs. Oregon's not going to back up the truck if a truckful of money is not going to seal the deal.

Again, I ask you (and all the other people making this same dopey argument), why do you keep referring to some mythical and hypothetical "bidding war"? If this was really about money, Mario would already have a raise and extension, the way that Mel Tucker does. Michigan State aced out all the schools that wanted to talk to Mel Tucker by giving him big money to show their commitment to him. After less than 2 years. Mario has been head coach for 4 years (and at Oregon for 5 years), and yet Oregon hasn't given Mario the Mel Tucker treatment, nor has Mario asked for (or agreed to) any such long-term extension. Hmmmm...why?

But, sure, keep telling us about this scary mythical "bidding war" that isn't going to happen. I'm not saying Mario won't get a late offer to make things interesting. But Mario has won the PAC-12 for two years running, you'd think if "college football has changed" and "Mario has changed how Oregon approaches things" that Oregon would have been more pro-active to extend Mario and pay him what he is worth.

And yet...that hasn't happened...because Oregon has a 50 year history of paying their head coaches moderate salaries, elevating their own OCs instead of doing splashy national searches, and never going out of their way to retain a head coach looking to move on.

"Bidding war"...sorry, I just keep laughing about that...

Advertisement
So, Miami should take a garbage deal from Nike that is backloaded and hope it works out? Miami should tolerate that deal, knowing full well that schools, with no national relevance whatsoever, and no cache are getting better deals, despite being complete garbage dumps as well? Yes, Miami has to win for merch sales to happen(as is the case with a cheap fanbase), but Miami also has something Michigan, Tennessee and a lot of these large state schools don't have: THE CITY OF MIAMI, INTERNATIONAL APPEAL. Even when Miami is struggling, it's still a marketable brand.

Oh, and we should leave money on the table even though Adidas isn't some mealy mouthed company, they outfit some of the biggest sports entities on planet earth. But hey, anything for the swoosh, right? There's no rational reason why Miami should work with Nike, unless Nike steps up and pays Miami at minimum what Adidas is, with escalator clauses based on appearances in the NCAA Tournament, CFP, etc.

Your vague, unspecific arguments are infuriating.

A "garbage" deal? WTF are you talking about? You have no idea what you are talking about. And you have no idea what the difference between "backloaded" and "incentive-driven" is.

Feel free to name ANY of the "schools with no national relevance whatsoever" who are getting better deals than Miami. Name these "complete garbage dump" programs.

You have no idea what the differences between a "cheap fanbase" and a "small fanbase" and a "national fanbase that buys UM merch when UM wins" are. And, yes, there ARE differences. Miami's fanbase is not "cheap". In fact, we probably spend more money, per capita, on merch than most state school fans do. BUT UCF'S ENROLLMENT IS FOUR TO FIVE TIMES LARGER THAN OURS. UCF'S ALUMNI BASE IS FOUR TO FIVE TIMES LARGER THAN OURS. Unlike you, I don't ignore facts and reality, and I don't get petty and call people "cheap".

But you keep yapping and yapping about things that you clearly don't understand.

Look, in a perfect world, it would be GREAT if there were a couple of other shoe companies that posed a serious competitive threat to Nike, and there was a roster of good schools signed on with a couple of shoe companies NOT named Nike. But, yeah, that is NOT the current reality. ****, I'd love to have a TV network other than ABC-ESPN too, but nobody is exactly lining up to cut huge checks to the ACC. So, yes, it sucks when there is really only one choice. I wish there was more competition. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO IGNORE REALITY AND RATIONALIZE TAKING A CHECK FROM THE SECOND-BEST SHOE COMPANY JUST BECAUSE MY FEELINGS WERE HURT BY THE BEST SHOE COMPANY.

And for the record, I use words for a reason. I am calling Nike the best company because they are the largest, the most stable, with the largest roster of endorsing athletes, with the largest roster of universities, with the best marketing, with the strongest market share and market reach. Any given adidas shoe can be fine, any given adidas jersey can be fine, but as a COMPANY, adidas is firmly stuck in second place behind Nike.

That's just reality.

Money overcomes emotions in a lot of cases. This is Mario's career, and he knows that Oregon can give him things that Miami most likely never can. Even with the cash infusion, there's certain things I'm quite sure he can do at Oregon that he can't do at Miami. He can't run his program SEC style at Miami, because this isn't some small town, and the local media here isn't beholden to the program. Mario also realizes that if SC keeps shooting themselves in the foot, he can have a decade run of zero competition out west. Even if he got Miami on track, he will still be fighting wars out here, wars that he doesn't have to fight.

The ONLY tie we have is the emotional aspect. Will that be enough to overcome Oregon's positives? Who knows. I refuse to put all my eggs in the Mario basket, and I hope the powers that be are planning ahead too. Don't end up sitting there with nothing to show for it, because Mario chose not to heed the call. Have a backup plan and have them ready to go.

Again, with the vague, unspecific generalities.

"Money overcomes emotions in a lot of cases." AND? What about the "cases" in which "money" does not "overcome emotions"?

Be specific. Tell us about "things" that "Oregon can give him" that "Miami most likely never can"? Are you including a national championship? Because in the last 50 years that Oregon has not won a national championship, Miami has won five. So what are these "things"?

"Run his program SEC style"? Are you kidding me? So you are implying that Mario cheats, or wants to cheat, or needs to cheat? Or that he needs to set up a "Junction Boys" style program to succeed? And then you go on to imply that Mario would enjoy, need, want, and/or benefit from a LACK of competition (owing to USC being bad)? What massive competition would Mario face in the ACC that he couldn't possibly overcome? Powerhouse F$U? Unbeatable Clemson? Give me a ******* break, you act like one of the most competitive people I've ever met is just DESPERATE to stay in the PAC-12 due to (as you put it) "zero competition". I've never heard something so ridiculous.

So, Miami should take a garbage deal from Nike that is backloaded and hope it works out? Miami should tolerate that deal, knowing full well that schools, with no national relevance whatsoever, and no cache are getting better deals, despite being complete garbage dumps as well? Yes, Miami has to win for merch sales to happen(as is the case with a cheap fanbase), but Miami also has something Michigan, Tennessee and a lot of these large state schools don't have: THE CITY OF MIAMI, INTERNATIONAL APPEAL. Even when Miami is struggling, it's still a marketable brand.

Oh, and we should leave money on the table even though Adidas isn't some mealy mouthed company, they outfit some of the biggest sports entities on planet earth. But hey, anything for the swoosh, right? There's no rational reason why Miami should work with Nike, unless Nike steps up and pays Miami at minimum what Adidas is, with escalator clauses based on appearances in the NCAA Tournament, CFP, etc.

They are a soccer company 😂😂😂

The BILLLIONAIRES have decided they are going to take this **** serious. What’s a few million to them? If we need something they will write the checks.

Big time football schools wear Nike. We are committing to being big time and betting on ourselves. I can roll with that.

"Your guy". Hilarious. And you accuse others of having an agenda.

I've been a part of UM since 1986. In the year we played Ped State in the Fiasco Bowl, we STILL had old marked-down 1983 national championship gear at the UM bookstore (in HORRIBLE versions of green and orange). I have seen UM go from the outhouse to the penthouse.

Quite frankly, I don't give a ****e what "your guy" has to say about adidas. If "your guy" hasn't worked at UM for 20 years, if "your guy" hasn't worked at another Nike school like UCF, then he has NO CONTEXT to make his comments. Again, where did I say that adidas was treating Miami "poorly"? But we are **** sure not treated in a way that is commensurate with our being a flagship program with "most favored nation" status.

"Your guy" has no idea how other schools are being treated. "Your guy" might be treated well by adidas, but the overall treatment of UM is not nearly what it should be. If you need some context beyond "your guy", you need to talk to @Rellyrell , whose contacts within the industry (among multiple companies) dwarfs that of you or "your guy".

If you bothered to do any search of my posts on the subject, I have been very specific. I'm not going to rehash it all here. Outside of the original UM Ultraboosts and the current ones (along with the 4D), the Miami special edition shoes have been STRAIGHT GARBAGE. And I own them all (while owning exactly ONE pair of Nikes, the special edition orange/green shoes made for Super Bowl LIV, because I dumped all my Nike shoes when UM switched to adidas).

I don't care about "your guy". If the right people find the right reasons, the switch is going to happen, regardless of "your guy" and "his feels".
“What you are overlooking is that BOTH Nike AND adidas have treated Miami more poorly as we lost more and more games.”

Isn’t this you?

Like I said, this is not accurate info. I have no agenda but clearly you do reading that long winded post. My info is legit. Adidas and Miami have been very happy with each other, thus far.

Miami has attorneys at Oregon because of Mario. If Mario didn’t have a side deal with Nike then our attorneys wouldn’t be there. Perhaps, the rumors are accurate and they found a loophole to negotiate a way to jump ship from Adidas, although I doubt it. If they do, hopefully we jump on the MJ brand.

Now go and have a snickers bar, Karen.

Advertisement
So as you seem to be well versed in this world, what other options are there besides Nike? 'Cos they gave us awful uniforms the last time they were our apparel provider.

You evidently don't like Adidas. UA have screwed over a few teams and last time I checked they were in financial trouble. Who else is there?

People hate all the uniforms unless they are traditional 3 stripes or the 2001 championship unis( and a lot of older fans hate those too).

It’s ironic because we have never had a traditional uniform. Miami always changed uniforms every five years or so. Once we started winning, people got attached to the three stripes and hate any change or innovation.

Nikes last uniform for us were AWESOME. The orange and green helmets and smoke unis. I loved it. My only beef was them giving fsu a similar template and not having stripes on the pants.

We have always been on the cutting edge of uniform trends. Win a few titles and people want us to act like Alabama or Notre Dame. It’s crazy but nostalgia is what it is. I won’t front. I can’t stand we have had to wear off colors from a soccer company the last five years.

I like the 3 stripes though. I don’t mind keeping it as the base, but let’s not be afraid to break out something crazy a couple times a season. The uniforms right before the Broncos like 2000 unis are some of my favorites. I wouldn’t mind going back to something like that with smaller mesh if we re-sign with Nike.

“What you are overlooking is that BOTH Nike AND adidas have treated Miami more poorly as we lost more and more games.”

Isn’t this you?

Like I said, this is not accurate info. I have no agenda but clearly you do reading that long winded post. My info is legit. Adidas and Miami have been very happy with each other, thus far.

Miami has attorneys at Oregon because of Mario. If Mario didn’t have a side deal with Nike then our attorneys wouldn’t be there. Perhaps, the rumors are accurate and they found a loophole to negotiate a way to jump ship from Adidas, although I doubt it. If they do, hopefully we jump on the MJ brand.

Now go and have a snickers bar, Karen.

You clearly prove that you either don't understand, or don't care about, context.

I said "more poorly" to describe a decline. Would you have preferred "worse"? It is not about "poorly" as an actual state of being, but "more poorly" as a decline from "honeymoon phase" to "taking us for granted".

I had to laugh when you cite "your guy" (your ONE guy) as support for "adidas and Miami have been very happy with each other, thus far". Simply untrue. I could (though I won't) cite specific names of specific people that do more to constitute "Miami" than "your [one] guy", and there are plenty of people at Miami who want to switch back to Nike. But you keep riding "your guy", even as @Rellyrell tells us about how adidas feels, and many people can tell you about how many people at Miami feel.

If Miami was "very happy" with adidas, none of this would be happening. And it is NOT all about Mario. I have heard these sentiments expressed by multiple people before Mario was in the picture. The reason this has heated up is because Blake was fired, and Blake is the one who championed the adidas deal.

Keep believing "your guy", I don't care. "Your guy" doesn't know ****e.

So as you seem to be well versed in this world, what other options are there besides Nike? 'Cos they gave us awful uniforms the last time they were our apparel provider.

You evidently don't like Adidas. UA have screwed over a few teams and last time I checked they were in financial trouble. Who else is there?
OK my friend;

It’s not that I don’t like Adidas, Adidas does some good things, as well. They were attentive to our needs at first, like they changed our font immediately, then Richt had them change our unis to a traditional design. Even w/ the strawberry patterns, they at least tried.

My problem w/ them is their lack of marketing, national exposure, attention to detail, and their inability to keep their word b/c of their instability. They have an inferiority complex, and it’s widely known w/in the industry.

Honestly, I would want to go to Jordan Brand. But isn’t Jordan Brand Nike? Yes & No. Jordan Brand is an entity of Nike, but operates independently. Nike is the parent company, just like Nike is the parent company of Converse. The reason y I would prefer JB over Nike is b/c since they are smaller, they pay closer attention to their clients, provide better off & on field gear, and Jordan cares about his legacy. Nike designers try to be too innovative, & some of their designs r str8 out of the box trash (see the color rush NFL joints). What I’ve noticed from Jordan Brand Schools they stay w/in their simplistic unis w/ an occasional throwback, again from their archive.

Furthermore, it’s widely popular among youths & is a chip to be used as a recruiting strategy.

Last edited:
People hate all the uniforms unless they are traditional 3 stripes or the 2001 championship unis( and a lot of older fans hate those too).

It’s ironic because we have never had a traditional uniform. Miami always changed uniforms every five years or so. Once we started winning, people got attached to the three stripes and hate any change or innovation.

Nikes last uniform for us were AWESOME. The orange and green helmets and smoke unis. I loved it. My only beef was them giving fsu a similar template and not having stripes on the pants.

We have always been on the cutting edge of uniform trends. Win a few titles and people want us to act like Alabama or Notre Dame. It’s crazy but nostalgia is what it is. I won’t front. I can’t stand we have had to wear off colors from a soccer company the last five years.

I like the 3 stripes though. I don’t mind keeping it as the base, but let’s not be afraid to break out something crazy a couple times a season. The uniforms right before the Broncos like 2000 unis are some of my favorites. I wouldn’t mind going back to something like that with smaller mesh if we re-sign with Nike.
Yeah, those 2014 joints were str8 fire

Advertisement
You clearly prove that you either don't understand, or don't care about, context.

I said "more poorly" to describe a decline. Would you have preferred "worse"? It is not about "poorly" as an actual state of being, but "more poorly" as a decline from "honeymoon phase" to "taking us for granted".

I had to laugh when you cite "your guy" (your ONE guy) as support for "adidas and Miami have been very happy with each other, thus far". Simply untrue. I could (though I won't) cite specific names of specific people that do more to constitute "Miami" than "your [one] guy", and there are plenty of people at Miami who want to switch back to Nike. But you keep riding "your guy", even as @Rellyrell tells us about how adidas feels, and many people can tell you about how many people at Miami feel.

If Miami was "very happy" with adidas, none of this would be happening. And it is NOT all about Mario. I have heard these sentiments expressed by multiple people before Mario was in the picture. The reason this has heated up is because Blake was fired, and Blake is the one who championed the adidas deal.

Keep believing "your guy", I don't care. "Your guy" doesn't know ****e.
Are you are implying Miami would be traveling, this week, to Eugene and negotiating with Nike, without an Athletic Director, because other “multiple people” want out of our contract with Adidas (with 6-7 years left of the contract) if Mario wasn’t in the picture? If so, you’re out of your mind. They are there because of Mario.

Now, to your point, I wouldn’t be completely shocked if Miami took advantage on an opportunity to jump on MJ brand to get Mario but doubtful with so many years left of the Adidas contract. Plus, it’s bad business should Nike ***** us again, in the future, and we seek other brands to sign with. If it were a year or two left in the contract then that’s far more feasible. Time will tell. Frankly, I really don’t give a ****.

Are you are implying Miami would be traveling, this week, to Eugene and negotiating with Nike, without an Athletic Director, because other “multiple people” want out of our contract with Adidas (with 6-7 years left of the contract) if Mario wasn’t in the picture? If so, you’re out of your mind. They are there because of Mario.

Now, to your point, I wouldn’t be completely shocked if Miami took advantage on an opportunity to jump on MJ brand to get Mario but doubtful with so many years left of the Adidas contract. Plus, it’s bad business should Nike ***** us again, in the future, and we seek other brands to sign with. If it were a year or two left in the contract then that’s far more feasible. Time will tell. Frankly, I really don’t give a ****.
Question; how did Nike ***** us?

If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, our administration is stupid and deserves whatever misfortune happens. The old farts whining about Adidas vs. Nike are also the same people that barely bought merch when we were with Nike and not a top 5 team. Go to a Miami tailgate, you see more 2001 jerseys than anything else. People still have jerseys from 20 years ago, but won't buy a t-shirt now. Make that make sense.
I think it’s funny that you shi* on Miami fans in every single post you make. “They’re the cheapest”, “worst fanbase in the country”…why bother being on a message board full of Miami fans if you can’t stand them?

You literally bitc* and complain in every single post you make about Miami fans lmaoooo.

What proof do you have, honestly, of over 90% of what you claim in all your posts? Show us proof that Miami fans are the cheapest. Because it is widely known that Miami apparel is seen and worn by fans across the country. Me, being an alumnus, I’ve seen Miami apparel worn in every state I’ve visited, as well as it being recognized overseas when I travel. Do Miami fans ALWAYS buy the latest gear? No…and neither do many other fans of big time football schools. Depends on what’s out there. I honestly see a VAST majority of Canes fans still wearing their Nike gear…because adidas fan apparel…say it with me kids…FUQQIN SUCKS. It’s all trashy, cheap looking, horrible fitting, tacky *** designs. I can guarantee you that most Miami fans, including alumni, feel this way.

Your degrading posts about Miami fans are both hilarious and wholly inaccurate. Find another message board if you just despise this fanbase that much where it bothers you enough to spew that BS in literally every ****** *** post you make.

Last edited:
Oh and Rellyrell and TheOriginalCane ain’t ever lied in this thread. They’re spewing straight facts. Adidas fanboys and those that don’t understand company perception, the importance of linking up with industry leaders, and oh idk the importance of quality materials when it comes to player jerseys and fan apparel, are getting rustled whenever this subject is brought up.

We should switch to Jordan Brand, and we’d end the college apparel game on site. It would be over. Miami gear would be the hottest apparel in the country at that point, especially if this admin puts its money where it’s mouth is and really starts investing in this program. That starts and ends with a big time head coaching hire (I’m on the Lane train to be honest).

Lane x Jordan Brand x Miami…just call it a wrap at that point.

Advertisement
GUYMS you have to look at the big picture... We signing with

triple-b-3-initials-lettermark-260nw-1013401459.jpg

I'm not tied to a traditional uniform - just a traditional look. I like to turn on the TV and know which team is which based on the colours they're in.

Those last Nike uniforms had us looking like clowns - like Oregon do every week. Absolutely hated them.

As for Adidas being a 'soccer' company - I love how that's thrown around like an insult. Obviously they're not either.

Advertisement
OK my friend;

It’s not that I don’t like Adidas, Adidas does some good things, as well. They were attentive to our needs at first, like they changed our font immediately, then Richt had them change our unis to a traditional design. Even w/ the strawberry patterns, they at least tried.

My problem w/ them is their lack of marketing, national exposure, attention to detail, and their inability to keep their word b/c of their instability. They have an inferiority complex, and it’s widely known w/in the industry.

Honestly, I would want to go to Jordan Brand. But isn’t Jordan Brand Nike? Yes & No. Jordan Brand is an entity of Nike, but operates independently. Nike is the parent company, just like Nike is the parent company of Converse. The reason y I would prefer JB over Nike is b/c since they are smaller, they pay closer attention to their clients, provide better off & on field gear, and Jordan cares about his legacy. Nike designers try to be too innovative, & some of their designs r str8 out of the box trash (see the color rush NFL joints). What I’ve noticed from Jordan Brand Schools they stay w/in their simplistic unis w/ an occasional throwback, again from their archive.

Furthermore, it’s widely popular among youths & is a chip to be used as a recruiting strategy.

But, but, but, the Jumpman logo. It's a basketball logo for football. WAAAAAHHHH!

Kidding. Just wanted to be the first to cry about it.

Man, listen…guys can’t get a simple concept out of their heads, so let me break it down like this:

Here are Adidas branded schools P5:
-Boston College (Football): 6-5
-NC St: 8-3
-Nebraska: 3-8
-Indiana: 3-8
-TAMU: 8-3
-ASU: 7-3
-UDub: 4-6
-Miss St: 7-4
-KU: 2-8
-GT: 3-8
-UL: 6-5
-Rutgers: 5-6
-UMass: 1-10

Combined record: 63-87

These r the select few P5 teams sponsored by Adidas. These r the losers were now associated w/. We all have one thing in common, guess what it is.

Again, PERCEPTION is reality. But I’m not surprised by the responses here:

-We have a segment of ppl who hate Butch b/c he left.
-We have another segment who hates Mario b/c he left for Bama & say “he’s only doing well at Oregon b/c of Nike $. We should focus on what he did at FIU.”
-We have another segment dying on a hill for a SEMENHOLE b/c he took a lonely picture at UNC after a L b/c, he cares.

Like logic doesn’t bode well here, emotions do.
My man!!

Advertisement
Back