Nike deal

If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, our administration is stupid and deserves whatever misfortune happens. The old farts whining about Adidas vs. Nike are also the same people that barely bought merch when we were with Nike and not a top 5 team. Go to a Miami tailgate, you see more 2001 jerseys than anything else. People still have jerseys from 20 years ago, but won't buy a t-shirt now. Make that make sense.
We had Nike. We played Florida at noon. The team asked fans to wear white. Fans were still stuck wearing their lucky jersey from 2001 and would not comply…..

Nike. Adidas. —- just make them pay up.

Advertisement
If that is a condition to try to elevate your program to get a desired HC then "we could do better" becomes a relative statement. If we are simply negotiating to change apparel I would agree that is not enough.
If Nike wants Miami. They can pay for it.

That is my worry with Lane . He’d be late to the coaches meeting because he was invited to watch a **** shoot and stayed a little late.
My solution for this has always been firm. Gentlemen, if we hire Lane, he needs a Chief Analyst…

Attachments

• 81903CCA-4AEA-4EA9-8C11-C76B708F8953.jpeg
    81903CCA-4AEA-4EA9-8C11-C76B708F8953.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 14
Advertisement
I dont care about our kit sponsor. Just take the highest bidder and drive the price up. **** anything else.

U’re my boy, so I’m not coming at u just putting a blanket statement out there:

I’m in the business of risk management (going independent) and prior to getting involved in insurance & reinsurance, I was apart of the marketing team.

So let me break this down: our perception is we are a 2nd tier program, and to further that perception, right now we are repped by a 2nd tier apparel company. Adidas was looking to move away from that perception as well, which was a good thing initially for us ($$) but now since we haven’t helped them w/ that, well….(keep reading)

Furthermore, we have to stop looking at upfront $$, vs. overall $. As I explained, we are making more “upfront $” than Alabama’s Nike contract, but they are making more “overall $” on their apparel deal (which will be ridiculous come next contract) b/c of the stipulation of the $ they receive from apparel sales.

As an example, I’ve personally declined job offers w/ more upfront pay b/c after I calculated the bonuses, retention rate, reimbursement criterias, vacation pay, etc etc., well on the back end, I would be making way more $, overall. Furthermore, never did I align myself w/ a company that had a bad perception. Despite my strengths, I would lose clientele b/c of the rep or perceived notion of the company I worked for.

Now back to our relationship w/ Adidas:
Already, they have shown to be an untrustworthy partner from a contractural standpoint, let’s forget about the FBI probe, we’re talking about a language they used to lure us; and had someone not brought that to our attention, Adidas would’ve carried on. So we have that, PLUS it’s not a popular brand among youths. Go back, and look at our ACC Road-trip video of the guys getting together for golf. See how many were rocking Nike or Jordans. Go look at Blades Jr NIL moment w/ that condom brand (lol), go peep what he’s wearing.

Look, I’m very big on perception, b/c perception is reality. Perception is what got us killed via a national broadcast. $$$ is one thing, and it’s important, but perception is equally, if not more, important.

I posted an article in another thread about y LB Poly left Adidas for Nike. The quote was “we’re not a 2nd rate school so we’re not going to be repped by a 2nd rate company.” UCLA’s new AD, after the UA debacle, was urged to switch to Nike b/c of their strong brand + UCLA’s global brand which would heighten revenue & exposure. St John left Under Armour to go right back to Nike even though it wasn’t a significant deal. Why? B/c of the influence of youth basketball & AAU circuits. Kids were choosing Big East Competitors that were Nike. They legit said they didn’t want that to be a recruiting ploy against them.

Our entire perception needs to change, and if u don’t think who sponsors u is not apart of that, then u (not u, Jedd, but ppl in general) don’t understand how marketing works.

Last edited:
Again, go consult @Rellyrell . Bigger company, better marketing, provides schools (and student-athletes) with more merch, generally more desirable in the marketplace. Even the "special edition" Miami shoes end up at markdown prices. We just ARE NOT moving a lot of adidas merch. Sucks, but true.
Man, listen…guys can’t get a simple concept out of their heads, so let me break it down like this:

Here are Adidas branded schools P5:
-Boston College (Football): 6-5
-NC St: 8-3
-Nebraska: 3-8
-Indiana: 3-8
-TAMU: 8-3
-ASU: 7-3
-UDub: 4-6
-Miss St: 7-4
-KU: 2-8
-GT: 3-8
-UL: 6-5
-Rutgers: 5-6
-UMass: 1-10

Combined record: 63-87

These r the select few P5 teams sponsored by Adidas. These r the losers were now associated w/. We all have one thing in common, guess what it is.

Again, PERCEPTION is reality. But I’m not surprised by the responses here:

-We have a segment of ppl who hate Butch b/c he left.
-We have another segment who hates Mario b/c he left for Bama & say “he’s only doing well at Oregon b/c of Nike $. We should focus on what he did at FIU.”
-We have another segment dying on a hill for a SEMENHOLE b/c he took a lonely picture at UNC after a L b/c, he cares.

Like logic doesn’t bode well here, emotions do.

Advertisement
Exactly. There is ZERO history of Oregon, Nike, or Phil Knight "backing up the Brinks truck" to either HIRE a head coach or RETAIN a head coach.

1. Rich Brooks (hired 1977) - three prior stints at Oregon State, right before he was hired, he was a position coach at UCLA for 1 year. Year 1 salary was $32K. Coached at Oregon for 18 years. Definitely improved the program to good (not great). 4 total bowl games. 1 season ranked in the Top 25. Best season was his last season, only 1st place PAC-10 finish, Rose Bowl game (loss), 9 wins. Immediately parlayed that into an NFL job valued at $625K per year. Oregon did NOT open up the bank to retain Brooks after the 1994 season.

2. Mike Bellotti (hired 1995) - SIX-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 14 years as Oregon head coach. 12 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 seven times, including #2 overall in 2001 (UM was #1, in case people forgot). Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-10 twice. In his final season (a 10-win campaign), it was announced that his OC Chip Kelly would become head coach and Bellotti would become AD at Oregon.

3. Chip Kelly (hired 2009) - TWO-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 four times, including #2 overall in 2012 and a loss in the BCS championship game in 2010. Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-12 three times. Left to take a job in the NFL.

4. Mark Helfrich (hired 2013) - FOUR-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 3 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 three times, including #2 overall in 2014 that was due to a loss in the 2014 BCS Championship game. Won 10 or more games 2 times, won the PAC-12 once. If not for ONE bad year (going 4-8), he might still be coaching at Oregon. His final year, prior to being fired, was impacted by OC Scott Frost leaving for UCF and taking some other coaches with him.

5. Willie Taggart (hired 2017) - only Oregon coach hired via national search, coming from USF (hiring did not require a lot of money for buyouts or salary). Served 1 year as Oregon head coach. 1 bowl game (which Taggart did not coach, after taking the F$U job).

6. Mario Cristobal (hired 2018) - ONE-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Is serving in his 4th full year as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games coached thus far (one was Taggart's year, and assuming a 5th for this year). Finished in the Top 25 one time (assuming a 2nd for this year). Won 10 or more games once (assuming a 2nd for this year), won the PAC-12 twice (could be a 3rd this year).

In conclusion...for nearly 45 years...with all of the Phil Knight/Nike money...Oregon has not spent wildly to attract or retain a head coach...three head coaches have left (2 for the NFL, 1 for another P5 school)...the incumbent OC has been promoted four times out of the last six times that Oregon hired a new head coach...

Meaning...that it is just Miami fans (and/or Oregon fans) who are building up the myth of "Oregon has Nike money, Oregon will back up the Brinks truck to retain the head coach"...

Just being honest and looking at the history and the facts...
College football has changed a ton in the last 2 decades. Mario has changed how Oregon approaches things. That said, if Oregon is in the mindset of "We want to hold onto Mario", then they have the wherewithal to do so. That's what most of us are saying. Oregon lost Kelly and Brooks to the NFL, so they weren't going to win those battles. Belotti was a lifer that loved Oregon. Helfrich, had he won would have been in the same boat as Belotti, he spent a good amount of time at Oregon and felt comfortable there.

Cristobal is the only coach, outside of Taggart(Who left Oregon for his "Dream Job") who was even at risk of being poached by a college program. One could have asked the question in regards to WT "Is it worth getting into a bidding war for this guy". Mario, he's the kind of coach that Oregon may decide is worth paying extra, in order to keep him around. The powers that be at Oregon also know that there's a point in which Miami isn't willing to go, even with UHealth providing a cash infusion. Miami isn't going to pay 10 million plus for Mario Cristobal. Miami will just back away if it gets to a bidding war, and go after Lane or someone else.

U’re my boy, so I’m not coming at u just putting a blanket statement out there:

I’m in the business of risk management (going independent) and prior to getting involved in insurance & reinsurance, I was apart of the marketing team.

So let me break this down: our perception is we are a 2nd tier program, and to further that perception, right now we are repped by a 2nd tier apparel company. Adidas was looking to move away from that perception as well, which was a good thing initially for us ($$) but now since we haven’t helped them w/ that, well….(keep reading)

Furthermore, we have to stop looking at upfront $$, vs. overall $. As I explained, we are making more “upfront $” than Alabama’s Nike contract, but they are making more “overall $” on their apparel deal (which will be ridiculous come next contract) b/c of the stipulation of the $ they receive from apparel sales.

As an example, I’ve personally declined job offers w/ more upfront pay b/c after I calculated the bonuses, retention rate, reimbursement criterias, vacation pay, etc etc., well on the back end, I would be making way more $, overall. Furthermore, never did I align myself w/ a company that had a bad perception. Despite my strengths, I would lose clientele b/c of the rep or perceived notion of the company I worked for.

Now back to our relationship w/ Adidas:
Already, they have shown to be an untrustworthy partner from a contractural standpoint, let’s forget about the FBI probe, we’re talking about a language they used to lure us; and had someone not brought that to our attention, Adidas would’ve carried on. So we have that, PLUS it’s not a popular brand among youths. Go back, and look at our ACC Road-trip video of the guys getting together for golf. See how many were rocking Nike or Jordans. Go look at Blades Jr NIL moment w/ that condom brand (lol), go peep what he’s wearing.

Look, I’m very big on perception, b/c perception is reality. Perception is what got us killed via a national broadcast. $$$ is one thing, and it’s important, but perception is equally, if not more, important.

I posted an article in another thread about y LB Poly left Adidas for Nike. The quote was “we’re not a 2nd rate school so we’re not going to be repped by a 2nd rate company.” UCLA’s new AD, after the UA debacle, was urged to switch to Nike b/c of their strong brand + UCLA’s global brand which would heighten revenue & exposure. St John left Under Armour to go right back to Nike even though it wasn’t a significant deal. Why? B/c of the influence of youth basketball & AAU circuits. Kids were choosing Big East Competitors that were Nike. They legit said they didn’t want that to be a recruiting ploy against them.

Our entire perception needs to change, and if u don’t think who sponsors u is not apart of that, then u (not u, Jedd, but ppl in general) don’t understand how marketing works.
You make a pretty strong case here. I'm going to look into this issue.

Man, listen…guys can’t get a simple concept out of their heads, so let me break it down like this:

Here are Adidas branded schools P5:
-Boston College (Football): 6-5
-NC St: 8-3
-Nebraska: 3-8
-Indiana: 3-8
-TAMU: 8-3
-ASU: 7-3
-UDub: 4-6
-Miss St: 7-4
-KU: 2-8
-GT: 3-8
-UL: 6-5
-Rutgers: 5-6
-UMass: 1-10

Combined record: 63-87

These r the select few P5 teams sponsored by Adidas. These r the losers were now associated w/. We all have one thing in common, guess what it is.

Again, PERCEPTION is reality. But I’m not surprised by the responses here:

-We have a segment of ppl who hate Butch b/c he left.
-We have another segment who hates Mario b/c he left for Bama & say “he’s only doing well at Oregon b/c of Nike $. We should focus on what he did at FIU.”
-We have another segment dying on a hill for a SEMENHOLE b/c he took a lonely picture at UNC after a L b/c, he cares.

Like logic doesn’t bode well here, emotions do.
So as you seem to be well versed in this world, what other options are there besides Nike? 'Cos they gave us awful uniforms the last time they were our apparel provider.

You evidently don't like Adidas. UA have screwed over a few teams and last time I checked they were in financial trouble. Who else is there?

College football has changed a ton in the last 2 decades. Mario has changed how Oregon approaches things. That said, if Oregon is in the mindset of "We want to hold onto Mario", then they have the wherewithal to do so. That's what most of us are saying. Oregon lost Kelly and Brooks to the NFL, so they weren't going to win those battles. Belotti was a lifer that loved Oregon. Helfrich, had he won would have been in the same boat as Belotti, he spent a good amount of time at Oregon and felt comfortable there.

Cristobal is the only coach, outside of Taggart(Who left Oregon for his "Dream Job") who was even at risk of being poached by a college program. One could have asked the question in regards to WT "Is it worth getting into a bidding war for this guy". Mario, he's the kind of coach that Oregon may decide is worth paying extra, in order to keep him around. The powers that be at Oregon also know that there's a point in which Miami isn't willing to go, even with UHealth providing a cash infusion. Miami isn't going to pay 10 million plus for Mario Cristobal. Miami will just back away if it gets to a bidding war, and go after Lane or someone else.
It's never going to come down to money with Cristobal if we offer him a competitive contract and prove that we're serious about our commitment to football.

IF he comes it's because he wants to move home and coach at the U. It's an emotional decision, not a rational one - I say that not because our ceiling isn't much higher than Oregons, but because he's halfway through building something big there.

Advertisement
You make a pretty strong case here. I'm going to look into this issue.
The fact that someone is saying with a straight face that Adidas, outfitter of some of the world's most iconic sports properties is "Second Rate" is a joke. When the centerpiece of an argument is "Perception is Reality", you know we are in Bizarro World.

Miami cannot take a deal like Alabama, because as we've seen time and time again, our fans will not spend the same kind of money on apparel as a school like Bama, even when times are good. Classic case study is our basketball program when L had it as a consistent Top 25 team, with legit national buzz. Guess what didn't happen? Miami fans did not buy Hoops merch, go back and look at the film of the people at the game, you had a bunch of people walking around in old Nike football gear, old Nike hoops gear from the early 2000s. I'm not joking. I was there to witness it and I still can't make it make sense. I've had those conversations with people in the industry, and they've said to a man "Despite being a national brand, Miami doesn't move merch like they should, and I think it's because the fanbase is pathetically cheap". Even when a school like Alabama is crap, people buy merch, they at least pretend to care. Miami has to be elite for our fans to even consider doing so.

It is silly for a program like Miami, with a small donor base and a fanbase that is amongst the cheapest in major collegiate athletics to take a backloaded deal, and leave money on the table. You know how poor people stay poor? By caring more about perception, than about cold, hard reality. Guess what? Miami is fighting a war out there, against better funded schools that can easily afford to take these garbage deals Nike tosses out, and Miami can't win that war by refusing much needed revenue.

So as you seem to be well versed in this world, what other options are there besides Nike? 'Cos they gave us awful uniforms the last time they were our apparel provider.

You evidently don't like Adidas. UA have screwed over a few teams and last time I checked they were in financial trouble. Who else is there?
After the game, I’ll hit u on this.

The fact that someone is saying with a straight face that Adidas, outfitter of some of the world's most iconic sports properties is "Second Rate" is a joke. When the centerpiece of an argument is "Perception is Reality", you know we are in Bizarro World.

Miami cannot take a deal like Alabama, because as we've seen time and time again, our fans will not spend the same kind of money on apparel as a school like Bama, even when times are good. Classic case study is our basketball program when L had it as a consistent Top 25 team, with legit national buzz. Guess what didn't happen? Miami fans did not buy Hoops merch, go back and look at the film of the people at the game, you had a bunch of people walking around in old Nike football gear, old Nike hoops gear from the early 2000s. I'm not joking. I was there to witness it and I still can't make it make sense. I've had those conversations with people in the industry, and they've said to a man "Despite being a national brand, Miami doesn't move merch like they should, and I think it's because the fanbase is pathetically cheap". Even when a school like Alabama is crap, people buy merch, they at least pretend to care. Miami has to be elite for our fans to even consider doing so.

It is silly for a program like Miami, with a small donor base and a fanbase that is amongst the cheapest in major collegiate athletics to take a backloaded deal, and leave money on the table. You know how poor people stay poor? By caring more about perception, than about cold, hard reality. Guess what? Miami is fighting a war out there, against better funded schools that can easily afford to take these garbage deals Nike tosses out, and Miami can't win that war by refusing much needed revenue.
I've always been the type to just take the deal up front. I'm going to be looking into the sponsorship issue. I have a long background in the sponsorship deals in international soccer, and I need to look at what ours really entails.

I don't believe Nike or Adidas are "second rate companies," but I want to see what the best deal really is for this program. I've heard good and bad arguments for both, and it's time I actually figured it out with my own research.

Advertisement
It's never going to come down to money with Cristobal if we offer him a competitive contract and prove that we're serious about our commitment to football.

IF he comes it's because he wants to move home and coach at the U. It's an emotional decision, not a rational one - I say that not because our ceiling isn't much higher than Oregons, but because he's halfway through building something big there.
Money overcomes emotions in a lot of cases. This is Mario's career, and he knows that Oregon can give him things that Miami most likely never can. Even with the cash infusion, there's certain things I'm quite sure he can do at Oregon that he can't do at Miami. He can't run his program SEC style at Miami, because this isn't some small town, and the local media here isn't beholden to the program. Mario also realizes that if SC keeps shooting themselves in the foot, he can have a decade run of zero competition out west. Even if he got Miami on track, he will still be fighting wars out here, wars that he doesn't have to fight.

The ONLY tie we have is the emotional aspect. Will that be enough to overcome Oregon's positives? Who knows. I refuse to put all my eggs in the Mario basket, and I hope the powers that be are planning ahead too. Don't end up sitting there with nothing to show for it, because Mario chose not to heed the call. Have a backup plan and have them ready to go.

Tennessee didn't have to take a Prove it deal, same with Michigan and they haven't done a **** thing in years. In fact, Miami hasn't been as bad as Tennessee. Again, why should Miami have to beg Nike for something that other schools, without the national cache, got without even asking? Thank God the powers that be aren't as blinded by the swoosh like a lot of our fans are.

You comparing us to flagship state universities. They have 4 or 5 times the alumni and are literally the state’s school. Grandparents, cousins, neighbors etc. **** a big chunk of UM students are not even from the US or follow American football.

We have to win BECAUSE most of our fans have no actual connection to the school.

It’s the same as complaining we have to win to get recruits, but other schools don’t. Well we don’t offer the perks, pay, or game day atmosphere those schools do. Winning is what levels the playing field FOR US.

You comparing us to flagship state universities. They have 4 or 5 times the alumni and are literally the state’s school. Grandparents, cousins, neighbors etc. **** a big chunk of UM students are not even from the US or follow American football.

We have to win BECAUSE most of our fans have no actual connection to the school.

It’s the same as complaining we have to win to get recruits, but other schools don’t. Well we don’t offer the perks, pay, or game day atmosphere those schools do. Winning is what levels the playing field FOR US.
So, Miami should take a garbage deal from Nike that is backloaded and hope it works out? Miami should tolerate that deal, knowing full well that schools, with no national relevance whatsoever, and no cache are getting better deals, despite being complete garbage dumps as well? Yes, Miami has to win for merch sales to happen(as is the case with a cheap fanbase), but Miami also has something Michigan, Tennessee and a lot of these large state schools don't have: THE CITY OF MIAMI, INTERNATIONAL APPEAL. Even when Miami is struggling, it's still a marketable brand.

Oh, and we should leave money on the table even though Adidas isn't some mealy mouthed company, they outfit some of the biggest sports entities on planet earth. But hey, anything for the swoosh, right? There's no rational reason why Miami should work with Nike, unless Nike steps up and pays Miami at minimum what Adidas is, with escalator clauses based on appearances in the NCAA Tournament, CFP, etc.

‘Adidas, outfitter of some of the world's most iconic sports properties is "Second Rate" is a joke.’

Literally this made me laugh.

Listen, I could post stats, earnings, excuses made by CEOs for failed sells recently, convos w/ my home girl who’s on Adidas design team, etc etc but I’ve done that too many times on here. Lol. I wanna focus on the gist of what u said, my guy.

U’re right, Miami cannot afford a Bama type deal. That wasn’t the point; my point was language that can actually make money on the back end vs. solely focusing on upfront $.

Miami’s fan base is not cheap, as a matter of fact, I can tell u as someone who grow up on the West Coast, I constantly saw Miami gear. The reason u may see “old Nike gear” is maybe just maybe fans didn’t particularly care for Adidas’ fan gear. Last week I just ran into the parent of an alum out in L.A and he had on a classic Miami Nike Dri Fit hoodie.

I get it, I get it…how could Nike let us leave, and f them, Adidas is paying more. Listen, Richt just clowned us today, OK? We’re behind the times, when we used to be the trendsetters. I listed all of the P5 Adidas teams; they all suck, w/ the exception of TAMU who sucks sometimes. Lol. The school I root for, I don’t want them to be represented by an apparel company who sponsors far & wide sub standard P5 teams & a slew of G5 teams. I want to be repped by the best b/c we’re supposed to be the best. If the best was Puma, let’s go. If the best was Skechers, let’s go.

The Adidas signing, to a lot of ppl, signified the lost of us being The U. There’s swag & there’s fake swag. Lately, we’ve been fake swag, and our sponsor is full of fake swag which is why our players & fans r given orthopedic shoes vs. their top sellers. I told everyone when the signing happens, they will be all over us during the honeymoon period, but if we don’t deliver, I promise we’ll be another Michigan.

They’ve already tried to hoodwink our contractural agreement, bruh! They already almost got us sanctioned! Ppl say, but, but, but Nike gave us horrible jerseys towards the end…well, how bout them Parley joint in the beginning?! Not only were they crooked, but they weren’t even our colors! How bout those off white & forest green soccer jerseys? How bout our U being a V? How bout feathers & Miami scripted in two tone? How bout a f’ing plastic U shield w/ crooked patterns all around it? How bout giving a commuter school our theme when going back to our old home?
Yet, somehow, u guys logically say they treat us good b/c they at least gave us more $. Lol. Oh, and we had to call them out on that, too, but it’s still half of what Louisville is making who happens to be in the ACC!

Adidas is 2nd rate b/c it’s a foreign company trying to get into the American Sports biz, and they are not efficient in doing so. They r second rate b/c most of their designs are copycats & not original. In fact, the boost tech is one their original piece, and had Ye not added it to his first Adidas line, we still wouldn’t know ‘bout it although it’s been around since like 2011-12 b/c it was never marketed properly.

I can go on & on & on & on as to y a school like us should’ve never been married to a company like Adidas. If Blake was competent, he would’ve negotiated the stipulations of the incentive based contract, had for 5 yrs, & flipped it in 2020 when all the big, big money was coming through. But of course, here at Miami, we want the $, w/o putting in the work to earn the $….kinda like my ex wife. Lol.

Advertisement
Back