Nike deal

If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, we could do better
If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, our administration is stupid and deserves whatever misfortune happens. The old farts whining about Adidas vs. Nike are also the same people that barely bought merch when we were with Nike and not a top 5 team. Go to a Miami tailgate, you see more 2001 jerseys than anything else. People still have jerseys from 20 years ago, but won't buy a t-shirt now. Make that make sense.

Advertisement
Why are you bothering to reason with those that are unreasonable? A lot of these Nike cultists would tolerate Nike crapping on Miami on national TV, just because they love the swoosh so much. Honestly, I think a lot of these people love Nike more than they love the University of Miami. The student athletes and coaches were fed up with how Nike treated Miami before the contract ended. I know because I was on campus at the time and witnessed it first hand.

They treated EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM like crap, even the ones that were winning. When the star PG on a Top 5 ranked basketball team has to go down to Sole Fly to get kicks, because Nike won't bother to give players access to the good stuff(Getting a jersey that fit back then was a minor miracle), then that's a sign that said company doesn't give a **** about you.

Adidas put more marketing support into Miami in one year, than Nike had in two decades. Frankly, the only reason Nike started paying people fair market value was that they were afraid that Adidas was going to start poaching more teams after Miami left. At one point, Alabama, with all their winning and success was only getting 2.5 million in cash per year, plus merch. Nike had cornered the market and was suppressing revenue because they didn't have any legitimate competition. For a program like Alabama or Clemson, that isn't a problem, they can easily make that up just from ticket sales and donations from their huge and passionate donor bases. For a program like Miami, leaving money on the table is a death sentence. Adidas offered at MINIMUM double what Nike did, and some argue it was closer to triple if you include the sheer amount of merch.
Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

Oregon suddenly made the change when Mario arrived ? Or maybe he brought the plans to building the infrastructure. Oregon suddenly started playing different when he arrived , crazy timing.
Sure Mario is responsible for some of but there are plenty of mitigating factors that elevated those rankings. One could be a renewed importance placed on recruiting by the school. If I switched out UGA, FSU, Alabama, UF and LSU and ported Washington, Stanford, USC and UCLA and Cal to the southeast with all the issues they currently have and they were Miami's main competition how would our recruiting rankings look?

If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, we could do better
If that is a condition to try to elevate your program to get a desired HC then "we could do better" becomes a relative statement. If we are simply negotiating to change apparel I would agree that is not enough.

Oregon suddenly made the change when Mario arrived ? Or maybe he brought the plans to building the infrastructure. Oregon suddenly started playing different when he arrived , crazy timing.
I think that Mario brought the "SEC" way of doing things, and Oregon bought in. Oregon also has the money and resources to do things that way. That is something that worries me about Mario. I don't know if you can run that management model here and have a program at the end of the day. This is why I lean more towards Lane, because he can recruit well enough, but can beat you with scheme. That's what has worked for Miami before, be on the cutting edge schematically and team it up with good talent.

Kirby brought that model to UGA, I don't think Richt was willing to go all in like Alabama and other SEC schools were doing. I know Ohio State wasn't doing things to the level that they are now, but Urban came in and showed them the way. The SEC model is tough to replicate for most schools, and Miami is one of those schools.

Advertisement
If that is a condition to try to elevate your program to get a desired HC then "we could do better" becomes a relative statement. If we are simply negotiating to change apparel I would agree that is not enough.
The question is "Is Mario worth leaving millions on the table?" I don't think so. Nike has made it clear that they will not pay Miami fair market value, hence why Miami left in the first place. If Nike is willing to pay fair market value, or even match what Adidas is doing, then fine. That said, Miami shouldn't allow Nike to pimp them out at a discount, just because Mario likes the swoosh, or feels loyalty to the founder of the company.

The question is "Is Mario worth leaving millions on the table?" I don't think so. Nike has made it clear that they will not pay Miami fair market value, hence why Miami left in the first place. If Nike is willing to pay fair market value, or even match what Adidas is doing, then fine. That said, Miami shouldn't allow Nike to pimp them out at a discount, just because Mario likes the swoosh, or feels loyalty to the founder of the company.
Someone said it would be good to take a “prove it” deal… incentive based that keeps you in ball park money wise betting that Mario gets upu 10+ Win seasons chasing nattys. Then when the short prove it deal comes up you cash in

I think that Mario brought the "SEC" way of doing things, and Oregon bought in. Oregon also has the money and resources to do things that way. That is something that worries me about Mario. I don't know if you can run that management model here and have a program at the end of the day. This is why I lean more towards Lane, because he can recruit well enough, but can beat you with scheme. That's what has worked for Miami before, be on the cutting edge schematically and team it up with good talent.

Kirby brought that model to UGA, I don't think Richt was willing to go all in like Alabama and other SEC schools were doing. I know Ohio State wasn't doing things to the level that they are now, but Urban came in and showed them the way. The SEC model is tough to replicate for most schools, and Miami is one of those schools.
Mario needs to win for a year first

Someone said it would be good to take a “prove it” deal… incentive based that keeps you in ball park money wise betting that Mario gets upu 10+ Win seasons chasing nattys. Then when the short prove it deal comes up you cash in
Tennessee didn't have to take a Prove it deal, same with Michigan and they haven't done a **** thing in years. In fact, Miami hasn't been as bad as Tennessee. Again, why should Miami have to beg Nike for something that other schools, without the national cache, got without even asking? Thank God the powers that be aren't as blinded by the swoosh like a lot of our fans are.

Advertisement
Mario has a contract with Nike so has nothing to do with personal preferences.

Not going to rehash what has already been stated on this thread regarding our history with Nike and our contract with ADIDAS.

Yep and we have idiots here acting like Phil Knight is suddenly walking down the streets handing out Nike duffles. So Phil started caring when Mario arrived? Or maybe Mario is an actual beast recruiter. Beens that’s been his reputation since forever.

Exactly. There is ZERO history of Oregon, Nike, or Phil Knight "backing up the Brinks truck" to either HIRE a head coach or RETAIN a head coach.

1. Rich Brooks (hired 1977) - three prior stints at Oregon State, right before he was hired, he was a position coach at UCLA for 1 year. Year 1 salary was $32K. Coached at Oregon for 18 years. Definitely improved the program to good (not great). 4 total bowl games. 1 season ranked in the Top 25. Best season was his last season, only 1st place PAC-10 finish, Rose Bowl game (loss), 9 wins. Immediately parlayed that into an NFL job valued at $625K per year. Oregon did NOT open up the bank to retain Brooks after the 1994 season.

2. Mike Bellotti (hired 1995) - SIX-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 14 years as Oregon head coach. 12 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 seven times, including #2 overall in 2001 (UM was #1, in case people forgot). Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-10 twice. In his final season (a 10-win campaign), it was announced that his OC Chip Kelly would become head coach and Bellotti would become AD at Oregon.

3. Chip Kelly (hired 2009) - TWO-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 four times, including #2 overall in 2012 and a loss in the BCS championship game in 2010. Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-12 three times. Left to take a job in the NFL.

4. Mark Helfrich (hired 2013) - FOUR-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 3 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 three times, including #2 overall in 2014 that was due to a loss in the 2014 BCS Championship game. Won 10 or more games 2 times, won the PAC-12 once. If not for ONE bad year (going 4-8), he might still be coaching at Oregon. His final year, prior to being fired, was impacted by OC Scott Frost leaving for UCF and taking some other coaches with him.

5. Willie Taggart (hired 2017) - only Oregon coach hired via national search, coming from USF (hiring did not require a lot of money for buyouts or salary). Served 1 year as Oregon head coach. 1 bowl game (which Taggart did not coach, after taking the F$U job).

6. Mario Cristobal (hired 2018) - ONE-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Is serving in his 4th full year as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games coached thus far (one was Taggart's year, and assuming a 5th for this year). Finished in the Top 25 one time (assuming a 2nd for this year). Won 10 or more games once (assuming a 2nd for this year), won the PAC-12 twice (could be a 3rd this year).

In conclusion...for nearly 45 years...with all of the Phil Knight/Nike money...Oregon has not spent wildly to attract or retain a head coach...three head coaches have left (2 for the NFL, 1 for another P5 school)...the incumbent OC has been promoted four times out of the last six times that Oregon hired a new head coach...

Meaning...that it is just Miami fans (and/or Oregon fans) who are building up the myth of "Oregon has Nike money, Oregon will back up the Brinks truck to retain the head coach"...

Just being honest and looking at the history and the facts...

Last edited:
Exactly. There is ZERO history of Oregon, Nike, or Phil Knight "backing up the Brinks truck" to either HIRE a head coach or RETAIN a head coach.

1. Rich Brooks (hired 1977) - three prior stints at Oregon State, right before he was hired, he was a position coach at UCLA for 1 year. Year 1 salary was $32K. Coached at Oregon for 18 years. Definitely improved the program to good (not great). 4 total bowl games. 1 season ranked in the Top 25. Best season was his last season, only 1st place PAC-10 finish, Rose Bowl game (loss), 9 wins. Immediately parlayed that into an NFL job valued at $625K per year. Oregon did NOT open up the bank to retain Brooks after the 1994 season.

2. Mike Bellotti (hired 1995) - SIX-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 14 years as Oregon head coach. 12 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 seven times, including #2 overall in 2001 (UM was #1, in case people forgot). Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-10 twice. In his final season (a 10-win campaign), it was announced that his OC Chip Kelly would become head coach and Bellotti would become AD at Oregon.

3. Chip Kelly (hired 2009) - TWO-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 four times, including #2 overall in 2012 and a loss in the BCS championship game in 2010. Won 10 or more games 4 times, won the PAC-12 three times. Left to take a job in the NFL.

4. Mark Helfrich (hired 2013) - FOUR-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Served 4 years as Oregon head coach. 3 bowl games. Finished in the Top 25 three times, including #2 overall in 2014 that was due to a loss in the 2014 BCS Championship game. Won 10 or more games 2 times, won the PAC-12 once. If not for ONE bad year (going 4-8), he might still be coaching at Oregon. His final year, prior to being fired, was impacted by OC Scott Frost leaving for UCF and taking some other coaches with him.

5. Willie Taggart (hired 2017) - only Oregon coach hired via national search, coming from USF (hiring did not require a lot of money for buyouts or salary). Served 1 year as Oregon head coach. 1 bowl game (which Taggart did not coach, after taking the F$U job).

6. Mario Cristobal (hired 2018) - ONE-YEAR OC for Oregon prior to being promoted to Head Coach. Is serving in his 5th year as Oregon head coach. 4 bowl games thus far (assuming a 5th for this year). Finished in the Top 25 one time (assuming a 2nd for this year). Won 10 or more games once (assuming a 2nd for this year), won the PAC-12 twice (could be a 3rd this year).

In conclusion...for nearly 45 years...with all of the Phil Knight/Nike money...Oregon has not spent wildly to attract or retain a head coach...three head coaches have left (2 for the NFL, 1 for another P5 school)...the incumbent OC has been promoted four times out of the last six times that Oregon hired a new head coach...

Meaning...that it is just Miami fans (and/or Oregon fans) who are building up the myth of "Oregon has Nike money, Oregon will back up the Brinks truck to retain the head coach"...

Just being honest and looking at the history and the facts...
Only facts!!

Advertisement
You make many valid points and I never understood why Miami became Nike’s guinea pig for uniforms; however, Nike is guilty for treating us like crap, at the end. Players were not getting proper equipment and gear from Nike as promised legally. Hence, why the players and staff were loving Adidas when they came.

Our leaders failed us for not winning and building a demand for the brand but Nike is guilty, as well. They turned their backs on us, too. Clearly, you dismiss that because you have an agenda but whatever.

I don't have an agenda. I bought Nike when Nike was UM's supplier. I have purchased adidas since adidas has been UM's supplier.

What you are overlooking is that BOTH Nike AND adidas have treated Miami more poorly as we lost more and more games. Thus, if we are going to be treated like crap when we play like crap, it really doesn't matter if Nike does it or adidas does it. We are masters of our own destiny.

I'm not dismissing anything. Nike treats even its lower-profile schools (UCF, FAMU) pretty well. Maybe, just maybe they learned a lesson from the way things went down with UM (trust me, I'm not just speculating here). Nike has regrets, Miami has regrets. Has NOTHING to do with "agenda".

Hire a solid AD and staff who will not bend for any apparel supplier. No "clam" logos. No bra straps. No crazy color combos.

Time to get the band back together. I'm no Nike fanboy. I'll wear whatever. But nobody can deny that Nike is the stronger company with the larger reach.

If we are using the money to buy out an apparel deal, our administration is stupid and deserves whatever misfortune happens. The old farts whining about Adidas vs. Nike are also the same people that barely bought merch when we were with Nike and not a top 5 team. Go to a Miami tailgate, you see more 2001 jerseys than anything else. People still have jerseys from 20 years ago, but won't buy a t-shirt now. Make that make sense.

We won the national championship in 2001.

We haven't since that time.

Makes sense.

Advertisement
Tennessee didn't have to take a Prove it deal, same with Michigan and they haven't done a **** thing in years. In fact, Miami hasn't been as bad as Tennessee. Again, why should Miami have to beg Nike for something that other schools, without the national cache, got without even asking? Thank God the powers that be aren't as blinded by the swoosh like a lot of our fans are.

This is the same **** apples-to-oranges comparison nonsense that comes up every **** time.

Michigan and Tennessee are huge state schools that dominate their states. Outside of Michigan State, there are no other comparable programs in Michigan. There is NOTHING else in Tennessee. Meanwhile, UM is a small private school that depends on its nationwide appeal WHEN WE ARE WINNING GAMES to sell anywhere near a comparable level of merchandise that Michigan or Tennessee sell. If not for Catholicism, Notre Dame wouldn't sell any merch, they haven't won a title since the 1980s, they are BYU with a bigger religion.

Miami needs to win to sell, and we need to sell to get paid. It's really not complicated.

I don't have an agenda. I bought Nike when Nike was UM's supplier. I have purchased adidas since adidas has been UM's supplier.

What you are overlooking is that BOTH Nike AND adidas have treated Miami more poorly as we lost more and more games. Thus, if we are going to be treated like crap when we play like crap, it really doesn't matter if Nike does it or adidas does it. We are masters of our own destiny.

I'm not dismissing anything. Nike treats even its lower-profile schools (UCF, FAMU) pretty well. Maybe, just maybe they learned a lesson from the way things went down with UM (trust me, I'm not just speculating here). Nike has regrets, Miami has regrets. Has NOTHING to do with "agenda".

Hire a solid AD and staff who will not bend for any apparel supplier. No "clam" logos. No bra straps. No crazy color combos.

Time to get the band back together. I'm no Nike fanboy. I'll wear whatever. But nobody can deny that Nike is the stronger company with the larger reach.
My guy who works at the University of Miami and is very close to the situation with Adidas strongly disagrees with you about Adidas treating us poorly but carry on with that narrative. It’s not accurate.

My guy who works at the University of Miami and is very close to the situation with Adidas strongly disagrees with you about Adidas treating us poorly but carry on with that narrative. It’s not accurate.

"Your guy". Hilarious. And you accuse others of having an agenda.

I've been a part of UM since 1986. In the year we played Ped State in the Fiasco Bowl, we STILL had old marked-down 1983 national championship gear at the UM bookstore (in HORRIBLE versions of green and orange). I have seen UM go from the outhouse to the penthouse.

Quite frankly, I don't give a ****e what "your guy" has to say about adidas. If "your guy" hasn't worked at UM for 20 years, if "your guy" hasn't worked at another Nike school like UCF, then he has NO CONTEXT to make his comments. Again, where did I say that adidas was treating Miami "poorly"? But we are **** sure not treated in a way that is commensurate with our being a flagship program with "most favored nation" status.

"Your guy" has no idea how other schools are being treated. "Your guy" might be treated well by adidas, but the overall treatment of UM is not nearly what it should be. If you need some context beyond "your guy", you need to talk to @Rellyrell , whose contacts within the industry (among multiple companies) dwarfs that of you or "your guy".

If you bothered to do any search of my posts on the subject, I have been very specific. I'm not going to rehash it all here. Outside of the original UM Ultraboosts and the current ones (along with the 4D), the Miami special edition shoes have been STRAIGHT GARBAGE. And I own them all (while owning exactly ONE pair of Nikes, the special edition orange/green shoes made for Super Bowl LIV, because I dumped all my Nike shoes when UM switched to adidas).

I don't care about "your guy". If the right people find the right reasons, the switch is going to happen, regardless of "your guy" and "his feels".

Advertisement
Back