Nike deal

Different situation but Ucf has horrible uniforms and when Scott frost left Oregon to go there he brought Nike and a host of awesome uniforms. A relationship that still bears fruit two coaches later

Advertisement
Allegedly was leaked out of The Canes For Life roundtable the other night
I can't fathom that being true. Why would Mario even allow it and why would Miami jeopardize their relationship with him by doing so. There's nothing that would necessitate being there in person at this stage. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Advertisement
Allegedly was leaked out of The Canes For Life roundtable the other night
Yeah Right Showtime GIF by Desus & Mero

It is a pretty common practice for Nike to have separate PERSONAL SERVICES CONTRACTS with coaches. Those contracts stipulate things like a set number of personal appearances during a year for a coach at a Nike promotional event etc. Also stipulates details of coaches dress and use of the brand. Was able to track down online a list of the actual contracts that Nike had at UNC with Roy Williams and other coaches that season. He was paid $250,000 a year (with seasonal increases) and a series of contractual details were listed. One clause stipulated that the contract automatically terminated when the coach was no longer employed by the university.

I can't fathom that being true. Why would Mario even allow it and why would Miami jeopardize their relationship with him by doing so. There's nothing that would necessitate being there in person at this stage. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Why would Mario allow it? Because maybe there is serious interest on his end? And this doesn't need to involve him at all. This is all agents and lawyers behind scenes.

It is a pretty common practice for Nike to have separate PERSONAL SERVICES CONTRACTS with coaches. Those contracts stipulate things like a set number of personal appearances during a year for a coach at a Nike promotional event etc. Also stipulates details of coaches dress and use of the brand. Was able to track down online a list of the actual contracts that Nike had at UNC with Roy Williams and other coaches that season. He was paid $250,000 a year (with seasonal increases) and a series of contractual details were listed. One clause stipulated that the contract automatically terminated when the coach was no longer employed by the university.
I asked about this the other day. I didn't know if the NCAA had shut that down. Numerous basketball coaches had separate contracts with apparel companies. I wasn't sure if that happened in football, or happened at all anymore.

Advertisement
Which came first? Chicken or egg?

Ha! From a contractual standpoint, I think we need to resolve the personal services/non-compete first, then the breach, then the remarriage, then the head coach. Cancel Thanksgiving!

EDIT: for the record, I am not saying that all of those things happen, just that would be the ordering of steps I could see working.

Lawyers were there on shoe business, not Mario business. Though there is some synchronicity.

What shoe business? These are the guys that own intercity Miami which is an Adidas franchise. I’m just not following what’s going on. But whatever it is, it doesn’t sound like it’s official Miami business. Unless you know something that you’re not saying.

Advertisement
I assume there is a reason wealthy people tend to stay wealthy.
Dude he’s worth over 60 billion dollars.
Let’s assume Mario’s contract is 10 million.
10 million is 1 percent of a billion. And knight is worth 60 times that.
These multi billionaires live in another reality.

Why would Mario allow it? Because maybe there is serious interest on his end? And this doesn't need to involve him at all. This is all agents and lawyers behind scenes.
Tell me you’ve never worked a business deal without telling me you’ve never worked a business deal.

Dude he’s worth over 60 billion dollars.
Let’s assume Mario’s contract is 10 million.
10 million is 1 percent of a billion. And knight is worth 60 times that.
These multi billionaires live in another reality.
They are greedy. No knock on that. You usually don't make millions just giving it away. They are not in the business of getting nothing for something.

Advertisement
What shoe business? These are the guys that own intercity Miami which is an Adidas franchise. I’m just not following what’s going on. But whatever it is, it doesn’t sound like it’s official Miami business. Unless you know something that you’re not saying.
Mario to be next Intercity Futbol coach?

Ha! From a contractual standpoint, I think we need to resolve the personal services/non-compete first, then the breach, then the remarriage, then the head coach. Cancel Thanksgiving!

EDIT: for the record, I am not saying that all of those things happen, just that would be the ordering of steps I could see working.
Definitely not cancelling Thanksgiving.

It was out before that meeting but in a very obscure way

According to Streeter's latest podcast, as of last night, what he hears it's a two horse race with Mario 1 and Lane 2.

The Nike issue is apparently Mario's side contract with Nike and how that will work if he leaves to an Adidas school. So it is a bit of a different twist than what I thought was going on.

All things considered, if Mario doesn't work, Lane not a bad fall back.
So does this mean we would have to buyout two contracts to get Cristobal? The contract with Oregon and a separate contract with Nike?

Advertisement
Back