Nickel

scrantoncane

Sophomore
If the season started tomorrow, who is on the field in nickel formation? I have to think Bandy slides inside, and Dean plays outside.

We've had decent production from true frosh at the CB position over the last decade. But usually you don't see them until maybe October.

Is Quan at nickel even an option, or is he cemented at safety? Realistically, who will we see first - Carter/Knowles/Dean, or a true frosh?

Luckily we don't face any major QB threats early on. Gives us a chance to figure out the proper personnel.

Advertisement
Against LSU we’re gonna see more of the hybrid safety/LB striker than a nickel corner. And just based on what Rumph has said, he’s working Bandy at boundary in preparation that he is going to be playing there a lot.
Most people would feel more comfortable with him starting next year when you look at both players performance last year

Agreed with above comments. Unless we're playing a spread passing team without a running threat at QB, I expect to see mostly Smiffy at the "nickel" spot. Until further notice, our top two corners are the King of Pop and Muddy Badger. Bandy is obviously fantastic in the middle of the field, and I do expect Frierson and DJ Ivey to get a lot of snaps as well. I'd just as soon not hear Jhavonte Dean's name often, if ever again. Unfortunately, we're going to need to rely on him at some point.

Advertisement
Agreed with above comments. Unless we're playing a spread passing team without a running threat at QB, I expect to see mostly Smiffy at the "nickel" spot. Until further notice, our top two corners are the King of Pop and Muddy Badger. Bandy is obviously fantastic in the middle of the field, and I do expect Frierson and DJ Ivey to get a lot of snaps as well. I'd just as soon not hear Jhavonte Dean's name often, if ever again. Unfortunately, we're going to need to rely on him at some point.
Whoever is playing opposite the king is gonna see a lot of targets so I’m hoping they’ll be ready

I'd like to see one of Hall, Frierson, or Ivey as the 5th DB.

Bandy slides inside if its Frierson/Ivey.

Hall plays nickel (like Jaquan did in 2016) if its him on the field and Bandy stays outside.

Just as long as Knowles isn't on the field I'm good
Feel like so many times last year when we gave up a bonehead td I was looking at knowles or McCloud eating garbage

Advertisement

I remember when people said this about Jackson and Redwine lol

Lets just hope Mike Jackson doesn't get his hair caught on fire while shooting a pepsi commercial. Hee Hee.

Advertisement
I remember when people said this about Jackson and Redwine lol

You are absolutely right, and I was one of those who wrote off MJ, although I've always felt that Redwine was at least servicable. I'd love nothing more than for Dean to have a breakout season this year like MJ did last year. We basically NEED that to happen.

I will EXPECT that to happen, after I see it happen. Until then, I'm not holding my breath.

Feel like so many times last year when we gave up a bonehead td I was looking at knowles or McCloud eating garbage

Don’t forget Delaney and Perry last year.
Dee and Knowles were repeatedly targeted,
absolute liabilities out there.
The fresh are already an improvement.

Advertisement
Against LSU we’re gonna see more of the hybrid safety/LB striker than a nickel corner. And just based on what Rumph has said, he’s working Bandy at boundary in preparation that he is going to be playing there a lot.
The striker won't (shouldn't?) be used on obvious passing downs. I think that is more of a base defense - Manny refused to get out of 4-3 base against 3 wide last year, esp on 1st and 2nd down. We saw Bandy/nickel on obvious passing 3rd downs. Meaning, the striker package and the nickel won't have the same personnel.

The striker won't (shouldn't?) be used on obvious passing downs. I think that is more of a base defense - Manny refused to get out of 4-3 base against 3 wide last year, esp on 1st and 2nd down. We saw Bandy/nickel on obvious passing 3rd downs. Meaning, the striker package and the nickel won't have the same personnel.
I’m still optimistic to see what Dean can do. He’s fast and he has length, but he may get passed over if he don’t have a monster camp.

I fully expect Bandy to slide over to nickel once Frierson proves he can handle the boundary, and have Bandy back at boundary in base. I also expect, with the new RS rules, that we’ll get to see plenty of Ivey and Blades in the rotation.

Would prefer to have the best tacklers on the field, which would have to include Amari Carter.

CB MJ
CB Bandy
NB Jaquan
SS Carter
FS Redwine

I'm fine with those 5, but Jaquan has to be the deep safety. He's too valuable there and he's the best tackler on the team so you need him as the last guy.

It was ok for him to be the NB in 2016, because we had Rayshawn over the top. But neither Carter nor Redwine has that ability. Gurvan Hall likely does, but I doubt they'd trust a true frosh there

I'd like to see one of Hall, Frierson, or Ivey as the 5th DB.

Bandy slides inside if its Frierson/Ivey.

Hall plays nickel (like Jaquan did in 2016) if its him on the field and Bandy stays outside.

Just as long as Knowles isn't on the field I'm good

Why? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am most definitely wondering why you're so sure one of those guys should be on the field. No doubt they all look promising, but what makes you think they should be playing right now?

Advertisement
Back