NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryout notebook and videos

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0700.jpg

(Brieon Fuller)

The first annual NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryout took place at Doral Academy Prep last night and CanesInSight was in attendance. Here were some of the top performers and other names to watch from the event. Recruiting updates with some of these prospects will be posted this week as well.

Demetrius "D.J." Ivey - South Dade

Miami found a gem last summer in South Dade cornerback D.J. Ivey and he continues to prove them right for offering as early as they did. Ivey missed his entire junior campaign with a foot injury so the offers from elite program have not come yet, but look for that to change very soon. Ivey's length is his strongest asset to go along with extremely smooth hips for his size. At 6-1, 185, the Canes commitment has all the tools to blossom into a star -- Ivey has even picked up the moniker "Young Artie" as in Artie Burns, because of his physical resemblance to the former Miami corner and current Pittsburgh Steeler. He says his commitment is solid as well.

[TWEET]820124979287195648[/TWEET]

Divaad Wilson - Miami Northwestern

Wilson is a recent transfer from Pace to Northwestern who opened eyes at the South Florida Express tryouts last week and proved again last night that he is about to get flooded with offers. He played both sides the last two seasons, but Wilson said last night that he plans on focusing on just cornerback this spring. His size and makeup speed jump out at you. There was one play that Kalani Norris beat Wilson deep before the 6-foot, 185-pound athlete got back into the play and batted the pass attempt away. Wilson holds offers from Louisville and USF, but both Miami and Florida are tracking him hard. Mike Rumph and Ephraim Banda are leading his recruitment and are stopping by Northwestern next week, according to Wilson. He lit up when talking about Banda as a recruiter and Wilson added, "He was on Twitter bumping Kodak and I was like 'oh my gosh'. That was so funny."

[TWEET]820144162632794112[/TWEET]

Johnny Ford - Coral Gables

Arguably the most entertaining performer on the night, Johnny Ford is lightning in a bottle. His size (5-8, 170) is something that catches people by surprise, but Ford is a top notch running back with speed to burn when the pads come on. Last night in one-on-ones, there was not a defensive player who was consistently sticking with him -- it was unfair at times. With offers from FIU and FAU already in hand, there will be more on the horizon for the electric Ford, who will be an offensive weapon at the next level.

[TWEET]820133726663430145[/TWEET]

Billy Joseph - Edison

Joseph is a recent transfer from Northwestern to Edison. He was a commit to Al Golden and staff at Miami, but is currently committed to Lane Kiffin at FAU because the Canes have not been recruiting him. Prior to this past season, Joseph had primarily been used as a speed rusher off the edge, but Northwestern coaches played him at Mike linebacker this season with much success. Joseph looked good in coverage last night considering he is still making the transition to linebacker full-time.

[TWEET]820312142725476352[/TWEET]

Derrick Nicholson - Miami Northwestern

Nicholson was one of the most vocal players at the NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryouts and brought some physicality to the 1-on-1 portion of the night. He does not hold any offers right now, but I'm excited to track Nicholson this offseason. He played a key role in Northwestern's defense this year as a box safety/linebacker.

Brieon Fuller - Doral Academy Prep

"Manchild" is the word that multiple people used when talking about Fuller at the tryouts last night. He was the most physically dominant player in my opinion and he had the highlight of the night in 7-on-7 play with his leaping touchdown grab in the back of the end zone. It is no surprise that he holds offers from Miami and Georgia already with Canes WR coach Ron Dugans in communication, as well as UGA coach James Coley.

[TWEET]820137633963802624[/TWEET]

Kalani Norris - Christopher Columbus

Norris transferred from Westminster Christian to Columbus a few weeks ago and will certainly be a top player at his position for his class. The 5-11, 180- pound receiver is one of the best route runners in south Florida regardless of class and that was on display last night. The best word to describe him is "smooth" and the offers will continue rolling in for him as his body fills out.

Demetries Ford - Christopher Columbus

Dee Ford might not catch your attention at first glance (5-9, 170), but once the action starts there is no denying his talent. The younger brother of Johnny Ford, Dee is a twitchy athlete with a competitive edge that is reminiscent of a young Trajan Bandy. He did not allow a reception during the one-on-one portion of the tryouts and I'm excited to see how Columbus uses the Westminster Christian transfer

[TWEET]820130010702999552[/TWEET]

Jeramy Passmore - Christopher Columbus

"P-Moe" is already on Miami's radar as a pass rusher, but last night he was trying his hand at linebacker in pass coverage drills. It was evident in one-on-ones that he hasn't had any work in coverage over his first two seasons of HS football, but the 6-2, 235 defensive end is looking like a premier prospect with a ton of room to grow -- he turns 16 on January 22nd. Canes coaches invited him to work with the upperclassmen at Paradise Camp last year and he more than held his own. This will be a huge spring for him.

[TWEET]820303001755619329[/TWEET]

Other names to watch

2018 RB Trey Flowers - Miami Palmetto

2018 DB Sharod Oliver - Miami Northwestern

2018 CB Rachad Wildgoose - Coral Gables

2018 WR Quavon Beckford - Miami Northwestern

2018 WR Kiondae Wilson - South Dade

2018 QB Harrison Easton - Westminster Christian

2020 RB Shemar Paul - Doral Academy

IMG_0703.jpg

2020 DB Harry Henderson - Doral Academy

2020 QB Brandon "Moody" McDuffey - Christopher Columbus

Last edited:
Advertisement
Billy Joseph won't get many more offers throwing up gang signs in front of a camera. use your head kid.

Billy Joseph won't get many more offers throwing up gang signs in front of a camera. use your head kid.

I agree with your sentiment, but I don't think that's really a gang sign. I'm not from the area but I think he's throwing up the 305. It's a sign I've seen countless South Florida recruits throw up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
What's the vibe about Miami? Kiffin or Davis getting any traction outside of Joseph?

I've always wondered how HS Freshmen and Sophomores get offers from out of state universities. Do they have friends of their program at these events or is it purely off of hudl?

Doral Academy had a stack of young talent when i watch them play my alma mater int he playoffs. Of course Dominick Watt had his way but the guys listed really impressed me.

Pete, any UM reps there?

Not allowed at 7on7 events

How is that enforced?

How is anything enforced?

4 real,especially in S.FL- HAHAHA -I have never seen or heard of so many transfers from season to season ****, some of these kids go to 3 H.S's schools before they even graduate . I believe that last garbage that was here posing as CFB coaches was trying to pull 1 that was on his 4th school . How is that even possible ? Has S.FL turned into counties of Small Colleges, are they just recruiting kids during a season and summer to get them for the upcoming season ? Has the rules of living in zip codes just been abolished down there ? How exactly are schools getting away with this or is it just legal to do this now ?

And to your comment Pete, how is it monitored or enforced ? Are that many people in the school districts just turning a blind eye to this or is it just the norm now ?

Advertisement
Doral Academy had a stack of young talent when i watch them play my alma mater int he playoffs. Of course Dominick Watt had his way but the guys listed really impressed me.

Stewart and Co. were out all spring and the early summer getting kids in. Before they got there, Doral was a mess. Worked with D-Bo in the offseason last year learning his defense...great bunch of guys and turned Doral around in record time.

how the **** is Doral getting football talent? 10 years ago, I don't think the school even existed! and the area was just empty lots. There wasn't anything North of that K12 center.

Advertisement
Back