NFL Draft Profile: K Michael Badgley

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes’ all-time leader in points will try to bring both his leg and his mullet to the NFL this season in the hopes he can find a home somewhere in the league.

Michael Badgley earned his way into a scholarship after starting his career as a walk-on, and ever since, has been a rock for the Canes as a 4 year starter with one of the most reliable legs of any kicker in the country. Badgley went 17-for-23 with a long of 50 yards in 2017, knocking home a game-winner in the pouring rain against Georgia Tech as well. For his efforts last season, Jersey Mike was named a First Team All-ACC member and actually finished as a part of the All-ACC team in each of his final three seasons at UM. In an era where you’re never quite sure what you’ll get out of the average college kicker, the consistency he brought to the kicking game will be sorely missed.

Finishing with 77 made field goals in his career, Badgley surpassed Carlos Huerta’s school record of 73 made field goals. After scoring six points in the Orange Bowl against Wisconsin, Badgley became the all-time leader in points in UM history.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 183 pounds

Arms: 29”

Hands: 8 ¾”

Strengths

Consistency on Intermediate Kicks

Badgley was Mr. Consistent and showed elite career accuracy from 40-49 yards, nailing 24-26 career attempts (92.3%) in that range. It was the success in this area of the field that really allowed him to take over UM’s school record for field goals made, as just not that many college kickers can boast that type of percentage.

Mental Fortitude

Badgley was a four year starter at Miami and has had tough misses in the past, including the blocked XP against FSU that would have tied the game late in the 4th quarter in 2016. Mentally and emotionally tough enough to deal with the strain of a bad miss, Badgley is known for his confidence and bravado in the locker room, and shows the resiliency to not let one miss snowball into multiple misses. Badgley also converted his only FG attempt with the game on the line, hitting a 24 yarder in a downpour to defeat Georgia Tech in 2017. You’re getting a guy that has the experience of being in those moments and taking those tough kicks.

Weaknesses

Consistency on Long Kicks

For all his success from 49 yards and in, Badgley was a completely different kicker from over 50 yards. The kicker from Summit, NJ made just 3-of-11 attempts from 50-plus yards in his career and a lot of those kicks weren’t even close to being converted. That’s troubling to say the least and a kicker without elite leg strength must have pinpoint accuracy to make it in the NFL.

Hangtime/Touchbacks

Badgley had the seventh highest touchback percentage of any ACC kicker in 2017 at 42.6%, not exactly the best number for a special teamer trying to convince a team he’s worth a draft pick. Throughout his career at Miami, it was rare to see Badgley really hammer a kickoff through the endzone, and his hangtimes were below average as well.

Draft Projection: 7th Round-UDFA

Badgley was reliable most of the time, but simply reliable isn’t quite good enough to hold down a job in the NFL and he will need to become even more automatic. According to WalterFootball.com, he is the #3 overall kicker available in the draft, although the site only projects two kickers to for sure be drafted. Badgley should become a priority free agent signing after the draft and get a shot to compete for a job somewhere this preseason; he even has an outside chance of sneaking into the last round if a team falls in love with him, something that’s very possible due to his top-notch interview skills.

Advertisement
His game vs. Wisconsin was tough to watch, especially considering it was his last game

Best of luck in the league

Advertisement
Didn't know that Badgley was a walk-on at first.

Amazing accuracy from 40-49.

Hopefully he gets a shot in the league.

He was more accurate from 45 than he was from 25. In a day and age when every single kicker booms kickoffs through the endzone, Badgley's kickoffs were being caught at the five and easily returned. Guy was a good college kicker regardless of some bad misses but he's got no NFL shot.

He needs to hook up with the Jets or Giants and get a deal endorsing Jersey Mike's subs.

Advertisement
He was usually good for one to two whiffs a year, usually during a rival game or bowl game. And I'm just talking about extra points here.

field goals....he was ok. Middle of the pack IMO.

No lie, won't miss him. I cringed every time he took a kick. He missed critical and crucial momentum fg (look no further than Wisc and Clem last year and the blocked extra point against FSU two years ago). There were others, but those stand out in my mind.

Annnnnnnnd the only reason why he's the leader in points is b/c our RZ offense and 3rd down offense has been atrocious lately. He's a product of poor offense. I'm not ranking him in my top anything. I'm not one to bash our own, and I hope he balls out in the NFL, but many nights I wanted to punch him in the groin for missing crucial fg's in big time moments.

Advertisement
Carlos Huerta.

Another walk-on kicker who ended up being an AA here.

Big-time kicker.

Annnnnnnnd the only reason why he's the leader in points is b/c our RZ offense and 3rd down offense has been atrocious lately. He's a product of poor offense. I'm not ranking him in my top anything. I'm not one to bash our own, and I hope he balls out in the NFL, but many nights I wanted to punch him in the groin for missing crucial fg's in big time moments.

Advertisement
He will be better than that kicker we took in the 2nd round. Im sure of that. Hopefully we dont double down and take that safety from the same school with our 1st....

Advertisement
Back