NFL Advisory Board

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I interpreted this as good news for us and the individual players:

A recent Herald article notes that, this year, the NFL Advisory board will only project if a player might go in the first or second record. Otherwise, the player is advised to return to school. Now, that doesn't mean players like Corn, Coley and AQM will listen to the Advisory board. However, I don't expect any of those players to get a 2nd round grade at this point and it is likely to add doubt to their decision.

I think each of them, especially Coley and AQM, stand to gain quite a bit from a season looking the way their underlying talent indicates they should look on the football field (and in a proper environment/scheme). Having a formal opinion saying "you should return to school" adds an element to their process. If they go against it and it doesn't work the way they expect, they're more likely to regret their decision.

If those 3 all come back, I really like what next year's roster looks like for Coach Richt.

Read more here: UM coach Mark Richt gets sneak peek of bowl practice, is joined by top prospect | Miami Herald

Last edited:
Advertisement
It would be a significantly bad decision for AQM to leave, moreso then Coley. AQM has a half season of decent play, and has only 2 college seasons under his belt. Coley has shown flashes, but he's likely a 4th-5th round pick. Given that Richt's calling offensive plays, Coley could launch himself into 1st-2nd round status after this upcoming season.

This is just my opinion, but the one who stands little to gain in coming back is Grace, even though he'd arguably be our best defensive player coming back. Size will be his downfall, similar to Perryman last year. He does everything pretty well, you just can't fix size though.

No question they all should stay for their senior seasons. But if they didn't, they would still have successful NFL careers IMO.

But if Richt is going to do what I think he is going to do next season, gee freaking whiz will this team be a load!!!

They are staying. Coley and aqm will be undrafted free agents if they go early

I'm all for kids declaring if they feel the need to however, getting that degree is more important and I hope people tell them that.

Advertisement
It would be a significantly bad decision for AQM to leave, moreso then Coley. AQM has a half season of decent play, and has only 2 college seasons under his belt. Coley has shown flashes, but he's likely a 4th-5th round pick. Given that Richt's calling offensive plays, Coley could launch himself into 1st-2nd round status after this upcoming season.

This is just my opinion, but the one who stands little to gain in coming back is Grace, even though he'd arguably be our best defensive player coming back. Size will be his downfall, similar to Perryman last year. He does everything pretty well, you just can't fix size though.

True except with Perryman it was height Grace is 6'1 and once he hits the NFL he can put on the weight needed and has 4.4 speed.

Doesnt Elder have a good chance to be a 2nd round pick?

I can count 6-8 CBs who are likely to be perceived as higher value than Elder. Doesn't mean i think they're all better. Just what they'll likely be seen as by NFL teams. 4-5 of them are also underclassmen.

Advertisement
Doesnt Elder have a good chance to be a 2nd round pick?

He isn't anywhere close to second round talent. He would be very lucky to go anywhere in the top five rounds.

The only person with the potential to go that high this year is Burns, our best corner.

All 3 kids need to get bigger and stronger. They are not ready for the NFL. All 3 kids have 1st round potential with big years next year. AQM in a 4/3 will pile up sacks. Coley could be an elite offensive threat, and Elder will be a Thorpe finalist. Burns is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick, so he should go.

Burns could grow into a top CB and his combine will help, but a year to mature with a much better DB and HC could significant improve his draft stock.
Honestly once they finish at UM, I mainly want to see these guys get some $$ before they get their bodies beaten up by the NFL.

There was a couple of running plays that Elder had to give up his body on and he kinda to the high road on... Albeit he's a good tackler, taking on a Bigger RB he needs work ...

JC

Advertisement
AQM should have a long chat with Chickillo and ask him if he thinks his draft status was maximized by Folden. Ask Chick if he thinks an extra year playing at his proper weight on the outside in a downhill defense getting after the QB would have been beneficial to his money.

The other dudes are equally ridiculous and pound foolish if they think their paper situation wouldn't improve playing a year under Richt.

The 3 round mock drafts i have seen do not include any Cane. All of them should stay and improve their draft stock.

Advertisement
Kids like J. Butt (Mich) come back for their Senior years. I really hope these 3 follow suit and come back for us.

Elder would probably be a 5th round pick if he entered the draft. The earliest Coley would go is the 6th round. AQM would probably be undrafted. I think if they all come back Elder and Coley could be 2nd round picks if they have really good years. AQM could probably get into the 4th round with a solid season.
They definitely should all stay. I don't think that any of them, even Artie, will be taken too high. Burns will probably be a 3rd round pick though.

Burns is the only that should go. He's going to test well, played well This season and has a family he has to help raise and take care of.

Advertisement
Back