Next Year

Not to minimize the importance of this season, but I think next year could be Coach L's most talented to date. Assuming there isn't any any attrition, how do we feel about about a depth chart like this:

Newton - Lykes
Brown - DJ
Amp - Walker
Huell - Gak - Waarenburg
Ezundu - Miller

Considered flipping Amp and Walker but probably won't matter. I also think we see a lot of three guard action with Lykes, Newton and Brown. Thoughts?

Advertisement
I like this team a lot next year. I think it is key that Waarenburg is already on campus practicing with this team. If he can acclimate himself to the American game and the college game will get significant minutes. I think adding a grad transfer big is critical as well.

I'd be very surprised if Walker isn't starting from day 1. I'd be more surprised if Lykes isn't starting from day 1. The 2/3 position is very crowded with talent. Unless Amp improves dramatically from where he is now, he could be a transfer candidate. I think Newton could find himself back in the 6th man role next year with a starting 5 of:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Huell (hopefully figures things out)
Izundu

I'd be very surprised if Walker isn't starting from day 1. I'd be more surprised if Lykes isn't starting from day 1. The 2/3 position is very crowded with talent. Unless Amp improves dramatically from where he is now, he could be a transfer candidate. I think Newton could find himself back in the 6th man role next year with a starting 5 of:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Izundu

Amp is a good player. He isn't a stat sheet stuffer, but he leads the team in steals, is our 2nd best defender (next to Reed), can shoot and attack. Also, I'd be surprised to see Newton benched as a senior.

Advertisement

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Izundu

Amp is a good player. He isn't a stat sheet stuffer, but he leads the team in steals, is our 2nd best defender (next to Reed), can shoot and attack. Also, I'd be surprised to see Newton benched as a senior.

Amp is talented, but inconsistent. Newton is probably best served in the Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson role.

Amp is a **** good player. The staff is still trying to figure out how to use him best. He actually is a stat sheet stuffer. If he played the same minutes Quan or Bruce did you would see his numbers grow significantly. Transfer candidate? Seriously? He is and will continue to be a critical piece of the team until his eligibility expires.

Advertisement
A grad transfer is unnecessary. How many top programs take grad transfers? We are starting to recruit at an elite level. no need for a stop gap type of guy. A frontcourt of Huell, Izundu, Miller, Amp, Gak, and Waardenburg is more than capable. Do people not recognize that Larranaga is one of the best in the country, if not the best, at player development. Every single guy in our frontcourt next year is a top 150 player. They will be more than ready to produce.

Aren't we back to full scholarship level next year?

With Reed and Murphy graduating and assuming everyone else stays, my math puts us at 11 with the losses of RM and Gilmore.

A grad transfer is unnecessary. How many top programs take grad transfers? We are starting to recruit at an elite level. no need for a stop gap type of guy. A frontcourt of Huell, Izundu, Miller, Amp, Gak, and Waardenburg is more than capable. Do people not recognize that Larranaga is one of the best in the country, if not the best, at player development. Every single guy in our frontcourt next year is a top 150 player. They will be more than ready to produce.

You take a grad transfer if he's a very good one, not just to take one. Like, for example, I would have taken Barry this year. He's averarging 13 points per game for the team in Hogtown.

You take a grad transfer if he's a very good one, not just to take one. Like, for example, I would have taken Barry this year. He's averarging 13 points per game for the team in Hogtown.

or Andrew White.

Advertisement
How many top programs take grad transfers?

For this year...

Cuse took Andrew White
Gonzaga took Jordan Mathews

The prior year...

Zona took Mark Tollefsen
UL took Trey Lewis
UConn took Shonn Miller
Maryland took Rasheed Sulaimon
UL took Damion Lee

Aren't we back to full scholarship level next year?

With Reed and Murphy graduating and assuming everyone else stays, my math puts us at 11 with the losses of RM and Gilmore.

You're allowed 13 scholarship players, but L has rarely if ever filled the roster to the max. I highly doubt we use both open scholarships, but wouldn't be shocked if we added a grad transfer or regular transfer with one of the open slots.

Very exciting lineup. Feel like we need a little more shooting and a player who can post up and score inside to be an elite team. This team could easily make a run though and find there way in the final four.

Advertisement
Very exciting lineup. Feel like we need a little more shooting and a player who can post up and score inside to be an elite team. This team could easily make a run though and find there way in the final four.

Assuming Bruce Brown is still here next season....

Assuming Bruce Brown is still here next season....

I really think he stays one more year

I hope so. Saturday we play @Duke. I could absolutely see him blowing up nationally after that.

How many top programs take grad transfers?

For this year...

Cuse took Andrew White
Gonzaga took Jordan Mathews

The prior year...

Zona took Mark Tollefsen
UL took Trey Lewis
UConn took Shonn Miller
Maryland took Rasheed Sulaimon
UL took Damion Lee

All guards. And those guys were taken because each of those schools needed bodies in the backcourt at the time. Louisville had Snider and Mitchell last year at guard, that's it, until they brought in Lee and Lewis. We don't need bodies in our frontcourt. We need to let our talented, highly rates bigs develop.

And Bruce Brown leaving after this year? (for the post below). Brown isn't projected to be drafted in the 2017 or 2018 nba draft, according to nbadraft.net. He has so much to work on. He needs two years minimum.

Advertisement
Back