Next Up

So Pope was held back because Dugans played favorites?

What happens if the new WR coach also plays favorites?

Advertisement
What about Frierson ?
I am a huge fan of Gilbert. He's all Cane! I personally think that the striker position could/will be a great position for him. His frame always suggested that he could grow into a linebacker role. Striker gives him the best of both worlds, LB and Safety.

Last year, I figured either he or Amari Carter, would be moved to striker. I'm glad it is Gilbert because I think Amari is going to be a monster at safety, and Gilbert will be groomed to take over for Finley at striker!

Advertisement
I am a huge fan of Gilbert. He's all Cane! I personally think that the striker position could/will be a great position for him. His frame always suggested that he could grow into a linebacker role. Striker gives him the best of both worlds, LB and Safety.

Last year, I figured either he or Amari Carter, would be moved to striker. I'm glad it is Gilbert because I think Amari is going to be a monster at safety, and Gilbert will be groomed to take over for Finley at striker!

Frierson seems like the kind a guy that lives to maim other human beings, so striker sounds right.

I wish him all the luck in achieving his goals of mutilation and frenzied dismemberment.

With spring ball right around the corner, I wanted to take a look at who I think is primed for a great showing in 2019. For the sake off this thread, I only focused on players who had minimum to no impact last year (regardless of why). I didn't include any QB's on my list of 10 players, because Tate's waiver, if granted, will play a huge role regarding our QB's, whether he's the starter or not.

My top 10 (In order)

1. Will Mallory-
Enos, if history repeats itself, will play a lot of 12 personnel, and considering that we have two elite TE's, why not continue doing so at Miami. With so much attention and game planning likely being put towards Thomas and Jordan, I fully expect Mallory to have a breakout season. He is a mismatch nightmare because of his blend of size and speed.

2. Mark Pope- Five star talent, with great spread and elite route running skills. That's a scary combination. If the rumors were true about Dugans playing the "favorites" game, there is no more excuses for Pope, now that Dugans is no longer in the picture. It's time to step up young blood!

3. Gurvan Hall- Had a chance to learn the defense during his freshman year without being thrown to the wolves. Being able to learn/watch two NFL caliber safeties up close, is going to pay huge dividends for this monster. He was my favorite defensive recruit in his class.

4. Nesta Silvera- Similar to Hall, he was able to benefit by learning from Willis, without being heavily depended on as a freshman DT. Though expecting him to replicate Willis level of production is unrealistic, especially considering that Nesta will be a first year starter, I still believe he will be a dominant force this year.

5. Gregory Rousseau- The guy is a physical freak. We've heard the story's of how he was straight up "bodying" our offensive linemen last spring before he suffered a season ending injury. Assuming he makes a full recovery, he should play a major role in passing situations for us this year.

6. Lorenzo Lingard- He is the most talented running back on the roster. Considering how Enos likes to find creative ways to get the ball in his RB's in the passing game, I think Lo will benefit the most out of all the RB's. His one cut and scat running style makes him a nightmare in open space, both as a running and receiving threat. He will have a lot of ground to make up because of being limited in the upcoming spring practices, but I fully expect him to be in the two deep by the end of fall camp.

7. Cleveland Reed- I expect this guy to be in the two deep at one of the guard positions(probably LG). He has a powerful punch that keeps DT's off balance and he has solid footwork to hold up in the passing game as well.

8. John Campbell- He's a prototypical Offensive Tackle. Was able to benefit from a redshirt year and has added some good weight, according to reports. He was a very underrated prospect coming out of Dr. Phillips, but one of the few things that the last offensive coaching staff and the current staff have in common, is they are both very high on John Campbell.

9. Brian Hightower- Silky smooth, with great hands and deceptive speed. Though he started a couple of games at the beginning of the season, he was truly held back by scheme and Dugans. There is no doubt that he will make the two deep, and though he will be more than a possession receiver, I can see third downs being his money down.

10. D.J. Ivey- I almost went with Blades here, but considering Blades was a starter down the stretch last year, Ivey is more applicable for the purpose of this write up. You can't teach length and you can't teach instinct. Ivey has both! I've been sold on him every since I saw him lock up Jeff Thomas during 7 on 7 right before Jeff arrived to Miami. It will be a fun battle to watch between he and Blades to see who will lock up the #2 corner spot, opposite of Bandy.

Appreciate your opinion...obviously, a very optimistic take but one I agree with. It’s going to be an interesting season.

Frierson seems like the kind a guy that lives to maim other human beings, so striker sounds right.

I wish him all the luck in achieving his goals of mutilation and frenzied dismemberment.
Between Gilbert, Hall, and Carter, an unfortunate imbecile from the opposition, is going to get decapitated running through the middle of the field. I just hope it takes place on 08/24/19.

Between Gilbert, Hall, and Carter, an unfortunate imbecile from the opposition, is going to get decapitated running through the middle of the field. I just hope it takes place on 08/24/19.

I will gladly give up a finger or two for that, and a humiliating (for them) win by us.

Advertisement
So Pope was held back because Dugans played favorites?

What happens if the new WR coach also plays favorites?

What did we see from Pope that makes it obvious he isn’t a question mark? We saw flashes with Lo and Mallory etc. Are there plays for Pope that are making people optimistic? Would love to see them. Seems like people are relying on high school.

I hope it was him coming in late and the trifecta of richt, rosier, and dugans that held him back.

What did we see from Pope that makes it obvious he isn’t a question mark? We saw flashes with Lo and Mallory etc. Are there plays for Pope that are making people optimistic? Would love to see them. Seems like people are relying on high school.

I hope it was him coming in late and the trifecta of richt, rosier, and dugans that held him back.

This.

Pope a "5 star talent with elite route running skills" is a joke. C'mon man. F*** his high school stars, no one cares anymore. And his route running was terrible. Blame Dugans if you want for not giving him more opportunities or whatever but with the snaps he had Pope looked downright bad. I cant remember a SINGLE play he made all season. Looked like a weak, undersized 3 star wannabe. I HOPE he proves me wrong and i eat mad crow but he needs to put in some serious work, not be blaming Dugans/Richt and whining about opportunities. GO GET IT

What did we see from Pope that makes it obvious he isn’t a question mark?
Just because he didn't produce as a True Freshman, doesn't mean that his ceiling is any less high! He is an elite talent, who projects as an elite producer at the college level.

Advertisement
Just because he didn't produce as a True Freshman, doesn't mean that his ceiling is any less high! He is an elite talent, who projects as an elite producer at the college level.

I’m not talking about production. Show me a play or two where we can project he will have a breakout year. I really am curious.

Seems like we are still talking about high school. Every four or five star is an elite talent but not everyone of them has success in college.

What I saw in his college games didn’t impress me. He’s small and looks like he plays small. He sucks in the run game which probably didn’t do him any favors with Dugans.

I hope the new staff activates his talent but I think the basis of his optimism is unfounded if you are basing it off last season.

G.I.L.B.E.R.T

Advertisement
Seems like we are still talking about high school. Every four or five star is an elite talent but not everyone of them has success in college.
Not to get into a back and forth with you, because it is not that serious, but your bolded statement above simply is not true. Larry Coker had the same mindset, which is why he recruited based off of the "star system" generated by the recruiting services. Look how that turned out.

Pope reaching his elite potential at Miami, remains to be seen. That's why it's called potential. If we are going by your philosophy, we currently do not have a player on our roster that can be considered "elite" based upon what they have done in college!

Not to get into a back and forth with you, because it is not that serious, but your bolded statement above simply is not true. Larry Coker had the same mindset, which is why he recruited based off of the "star system" generated by the recruiting services. Look how that turned out.

Pope reaching his elite potential at Miami, remains to be seen. That's why it's called potential. If we are going by your philosophy, we currently do not have a player on our roster that can be considered "elite" based upon what they have done in college!

Sigh. You are going off track and you rebut my argument that every four or five star has elite talent with Larry Coker? Almost two decades ago? Smh.

My point was I agreed with mostly everyone on the OP’s list regarding having a breakout year except Pope. My push back was where are we getting the optimism for Pope from?

You clearly overlooked what I said about Lingard and Mallory. I can see the optimism in those guys since there were clips in college of flashes of talent or postive comments about them in practice.

Where are the clips of Pope or news about him dominating in practice last year? That’s my only point.

People bring up Pope because he was highly rated but I haven’t seen a play. Just one play in college to make me high on him this season.

Sigh. You are going off track and you rebut my argument that every four or five star has elite talent with Larry Coker? Almost two decades ago? Smh.

My point was I agreed with mostly everyone on the OP’s list regarding having a breakout year except Pope. My push back was where are we getting the optimism for Pope from?

You clearly overlooked what I said about Lingard and Mallory. I can see the optimism in those guys since there were clips in college of flashes of talent or postive comments about them in practice.

Where are the clips of Pope or news about him dominating in practice last year? That’s my only point.

People bring up Pope because he was highly rated but I haven’t seen a play. Just one play in college to make me high on him this season.
It's not that serious, my man! Your opinion is warranted, regarding Pope. I just happen to be of opinion that he is primed to live up to his potential this year.

It's all good.

Advertisement
Back