Next Up

reg

Sophomore
With spring ball right around the corner, I wanted to take a look at who I think is primed for a great showing in 2019. For the sake off this thread, I only focused on players who had minimum to no impact last year (regardless of why). I didn't include any QB's on my list of 10 players, because Tate's waiver, if granted, will play a huge role regarding our QB's, whether he's the starter or not.

My top 10 (In order)

1. Will Mallory-
Enos, if history repeats itself, will play a lot of 12 personnel, and considering that we have two elite TE's, why not continue doing so at Miami. With so much attention and game planning likely being put towards Thomas and Jordan, I fully expect Mallory to have a breakout season. He is a mismatch nightmare because of his blend of size and speed.

2. Mark Pope- Five star talent, with great spread and elite route running skills. That's a scary combination. If the rumors were true about Dugans playing the "favorites" game, there is no more excuses for Pope, now that Dugans is no longer in the picture. It's time to step up young blood!

3. Gurvan Hall- Had a chance to learn the defense during his freshman year without being thrown to the wolves. Being able to learn/watch two NFL caliber safeties up close, is going to pay huge dividends for this monster. He was my favorite defensive recruit in his class.

4. Nesta Silvera- Similar to Hall, he was able to benefit by learning from Willis, without being heavily depended on as a freshman DT. Though expecting him to replicate Willis level of production is unrealistic, especially considering that Nesta will be a first year starter, I still believe he will be a dominant force this year.

5. Gregory Rousseau- The guy is a physical freak. We've heard the story's of how he was straight up "bodying" our offensive linemen last spring before he suffered a season ending injury. Assuming he makes a full recovery, he should play a major role in passing situations for us this year.

6. Lorenzo Lingard- He is the most talented running back on the roster. Considering how Enos likes to find creative ways to get the ball in his RB's in the passing game, I think Lo will benefit the most out of all the RB's. His one cut and scat running style makes him a nightmare in open space, both as a running and receiving threat. He will have a lot of ground to make up because of being limited in the upcoming spring practices, but I fully expect him to be in the two deep by the end of fall camp.

7. Cleveland Reed- I expect this guy to be in the two deep at one of the guard positions(probably LG). He has a powerful punch that keeps DT's off balance and he has solid footwork to hold up in the passing game as well.

8. John Campbell- He's a prototypical Offensive Tackle. Was able to benefit from a redshirt year and has added some good weight, according to reports. He was a very underrated prospect coming out of Dr. Phillips, but one of the few things that the last offensive coaching staff and the current staff have in common, is they are both very high on John Campbell.

9. Brian Hightower- Silky smooth, with great hands and deceptive speed. Though he started a couple of games at the beginning of the season, he was truly held back by scheme and Dugans. There is no doubt that he will make the two deep, and though he will be more than a possession receiver, I can see third downs being his money down.

10. D.J. Ivey- I almost went with Blades here, but considering Blades was a starter down the stretch last year, Ivey is more applicable for the purpose of this write up. You can't teach length and you can't teach instinct. Ivey has both! I've been sold on him every since I saw him lock up Jeff Thomas during 7 on 7 right before Jeff arrived to Miami. It will be a fun battle to watch between he and Blades to see who will lock up the #2 corner spot, opposite of Bandy.

Advertisement
With spring ball right around the corner, I wanted to take a look at who I think is primed for a great showing in 2019. For the sake off this thread, I only focused on players who had minimum to no impact last year (regardless of why). I didn't include any QB's on my list of 10 players, because Tate's waiver, if granted, will play a huge role regarding our QB's, whether he's the starter or not.

My top 10 (In order)

1. Will Mallory-
Enos, if history repeats itself, will play a lot of 12 personnel, and considering that we have two elite TE's, why not continue doing so at Miami. With so much attention and game planning likely being put towards Thomas and Jordan, I fully expect Mallory to have a breakout season. He is a mismatch nightmare because of his blend of size and speed.

2. Mark Pope- Five star talent, with great spread and elite route running skills. That's a scary combination. If the rumors were true about Dugans playing the "favorites" game, there is no more excuses for Pope, now that Dugans is no longer in the picture. It's time to step up young blood!

3. Gurvan Hall- Had a chance to learn the defense during his freshman year without being thrown to the wolves. Being able to learn/watch two NFL caliber safeties up close, is going to pay huge dividends for this monster. He was my favorite defensive recruit in his class.

4. Nesta Silvera- Similar to Hall, he was able to benefit by learning from Willis, without being heavily depended on as a freshman DT. Though expecting him to replicate Willis level of production is unrealistic, especially considering that Nesta will be a first year starter, I still believe he will be a dominant force this year.

5. Gregory Rousseau- The guy is a physical freak. We've heard the story's of how he was straight up "bodying" our offensive linemen last spring before he suffered a season ending injury. Assuming he makes a full recovery, he should play a major role in passing situations for us this year.

6. Lorenzo Lingard- He is the most talented running back on the roster. Considering how Enos likes to find creative ways to get the ball in his RB's in the passing game, I think Lo will benefit the most out of all the RB's. His one cut and scat running style makes him a nightmare in open space, both as a running and receiving threat. He will have a lot of ground to make up because of being limited in the upcoming spring practices, but I fully expect him to be in the two deep by the end of fall camp.

7. Cleveland Reed- I expect this guy to be in the two deep at one of the guard positions(probably LG). He has a powerful punch that keeps DT's off balance and he has solid footwork to hold up in the passing game as well.

8. John Campbell- He's a prototypical Offensive Tackle. Was able to benefit from a redshirt year and has added some good weight, according to reports. He was a very underrated prospect coming out of Dr. Phillips, but one of the few things that the last offensive coaching staff and the current staff have in common, is they are both very high on John Campbell.

9. Brian Hightower- Silky smooth, with great hands and deceptive speed. Though he started a couple of games at the beginning of the season, he was truly held back by scheme and Dugans. There is no doubt that he will make the two deep, and though he will be more than a possession receiver, I can see third downs being his money down.

10. D.J. Ivey- I almost went with Blades here, but considering Blades was a starter down the stretch last year, Ivey is more applicable for the purpose of this write up. You can't teach length and you can't teach instinct. Ivey has both! I've been sold on him every since I saw him lock up Jeff Thomas during 7 on 7 right before Jeff arrived to Miami. It will be a fun battle to watch between he and Blades to see who will lock up the #2 corner spot, opposite of Bandy.
Fantastic write up!

My top 10 (In order)

1. Will Mallory-

Hall should be 1st..Ivey should be 2nd should Those 2 will be heavily relied ..and don’t sleep on dee Wiggins. I honestly think his ceiling is much higher than Pope

Not to sidetrack this thread (and no, I don't think he'll be a breakout player in 2019), but whatever happened to Nigel Bethel? Is he just still too small to get out there? I haven't heard one mention of his name since he stepped foot on campus. Anyone know anything about his progress?

Advertisement
Man Pope and JT can be a lethal combo if they use them correctly. Easier said that done, but the possibilities can are endless

Excellent list @reg

It’s good to look at those players who could be on the verge of greatness.

Just a heads up regarding Lo, I would expect him to be brought along very slowly during spring practice, extending maybe even into the summer. He’s going to need plenty of time to get that knee back in 100% ship shape. They’re going to bring him along slowly.

Not to sidetrack this thread (and no, I don't think he'll be a breakout player in 2019), but whatever happened to Nigel Bethel? Is he just still too small to get out there? I haven't heard one mention of his name since he stepped foot on campus. Anyone know anything about his progress?

He was considered a project and took a RS last year. He’ll probably pop up on STs and get some time at CB in blowouts.

Man Pope and JT can be a lethal combo if they use them correctly. Easier said that done, but the possibilities can are endless
Agreed. And throw in KJ, Jeremiah and Hightower (and of course Wiggins, Harley and Njoku if they can contribute) and MAN this WR corps should be ridiculous!! Then again, I feel like I've been saying that every preseason for well over a half decade now and it hasn't panned out - mostly due to other factors (QB, OL, scheme), I know.

Advertisement
He was considered a project and took a RS last year. He’ll probably pop up on STs and get some time at CB in blowouts.
Gotcha, thanks. I knew he was going to need some serious time in the physical development department. I'll be honest, I had to go check and see if he was even still on the roster because I legit hadn't heard his name a single time since we signed him.

Excellent list @reg

It’s good to look at those players who could be on the verge of greatness.

Just a heads up regarding Lo, I would expect him to be brought along very slowly during spring practice, extending maybe even into the summer. He’s going to need plenty of time to get that knee back in 100% ship shape. They’re going to bring him along slowly.
Thanks, my friend.

I agree 100% regarding Pope. I mentioned that expected him to have some ground to make up because of him being limited in the spring. In fact, I'm not opposed to keeping him out until the summer, just to make sure he is 100% by fall camp.

Excellent list.

And I’m happy you put Mallory at #1 because at this time last year, when the always present “hot takes” or “bold predictions” threads started rolling, I said many times that I think Will Mallory will have a better career and be a better player than Brevin Jordan. Year 1 certainly didn’t prove that in the least. Brevin was actually even better than I thought, and I thought he’d be really good. But that’s only chapter 1. I’m beyond excited to see both kids really take that next step this year. And finally with a creative playcaller who can maximize these kids’ abilities. But I still believe Mallory can be an absolute weapon and IMO can approach double-digit TDs this year.

Advertisement
Good list. I’d put Campbell first though. Expecting him to be 1st string LT by end of spring

Advertisement

My top 10 (In order)

1. Will Mallory-

Sweet contribution. Thanks

Excellent list.

And I’m happy you put Mallory at #1 because at this time last year, when the always present “hot takes” or “bold predictions” threads started rolling, I said many times that I think Will Mallory will have a better career and be a better player than Brevin Jordan. Year 1 certainly didn’t prove that in the least. Brevin was actually even better than I thought, and I thought he’d be really good. But that’s only chapter 1. I’m beyond excited to see both kids really take that next step this year. And finally with a creative playcaller who can maximize these kids’ abilities. But I still believe Mallory can be an absolute weapon and IMO can approach double-digit TDs this year.
Could not agree more. Below is what I posted back on 07/21/18 in the thread titled "Will Mallory."
I said it before and I will say it again, though I believe Jordan had the better high school career, it would not shock me at all if Mallory ends up having the better college career. Either way, they are both going to have great careers at Miami. The only reason why Mallory wasn't considered one of the top 2 tight ends, was due to injury. It's truly astonishing that Hartley was able to convince the top 2 tight ends in the country to commit to the same school in the same class.

I can see him being a late bloomer, contributing heavily as a rs junior and rs senior

Advertisement
Back