Next UM National Championship

mitchellorin

Freshman
In which sport do you think the University of Miami will most likely win its next championship and when? I'm talking all sports and I'd like to hear input from the lesser known sports because I only follow football, men's basketball, and baseball (even though I don't know much about college baseball).

Advertisement
Don't hold your breath. Unless we get a sports friendly president you're looking at decades and most likely never again.

as long as these bozo's are running the AD, no championships in any sport - EVER. Maybe if the new president cleans house in the AD, we will have a shot

I think we all want it to be basketball and we've got the talent to make a run in march (if we get there first) but I think there are too many elite ball schools out there for us to realistically expect a title to come.

Canes baseball is pre-ranked #15 this season so I think they're the best shot at a title. They've got a good combination of young and experienced talent with coaches that have been there before.

They just recently got knocked off in the championship tournament but girls volleyball has solid players and made some noise this year so who knows maybe the ladies bring us home our next ship!

Advertisement
great thread

I'm just trying to find some optimism here from someone who knows more about other sports than I do (ex: kirijax with tennis). Plus I want to see what people think about the future of the basketball team and whether or not people think we can take the next step and become a perennial tournament team under coach L.

MEN'S
Baseball 2017
Basketball Never
Cross Country Never
Diving 2016
Football Never
Tennis 2019
Track and Field 2017

WOMEN'S
Basketball Never
Cross Country Never
Golf Never
Rowing Never
Soccer Never
Swimming and Diving Never
Tennis Never
Track and Field Never
Volleyball Never

Advertisement
There are programs that perennially compete in any number of sports that have never won a National Title. It's quite plausible that Miami may never win one again. Don't think it's a sure thing, not while other schools are committed to winning and making the moves to prove it.

I'm going to go with never.

Our best chances are baseball and basketball.

Baseball is slowly losing its luster, and when/if Morris retires or gets fired, do you really trust Miami to bring in a good coach to continue the baseball team's traditions? Didn't think so.

Basketball is difficult because, even though Larrañaga has done an exceptional job, we'll never have a team that can consistently beat or compete with the best 67 teams in the tournament. We may become "frequent flyers" at the big dance, but we'll never be prom king.

Advertisement
I don't see any national titles for football in the near future (LOL at even thinking about that given our current state). baseball is feasible....basketball not impossible with Larranega.

Advertisement
we need one amazing Lottery pick type talent to pick us.

phony academic restrictions stopped us from signing such kids, but we should be able to sell a high school senior the values of playing in the most competitive basketball conference while enjoying Miami lifestyle.

Advertisement
Back