Next HC- $$$$$ and SENSE

There are plenty of ways to "support" the HC public relations wise without being effusive in doing so... the fact he supported him publicly isn't what made me throw up in my mouth, its "how".

As to the other points about Blake James lap-dog demeanor as our AD, care to comment? I was simply pointing out the ineffectiveness of our ADs along with administration, and responding to the claim that Blake james didn't hire Golden-- which I never asserted. Next?

To me, he has seemed to do more than the two prior to him. There has been a lot of advancements in some of the facilities for the football team under his watch. I'd be able to judge him more effectively based up on who he hires to run any of the athletic teams. Now the administration is an absolute joke. Signing away the Orange Bowl is nearly unforgiveable. Never opening the pockets also hurts this team. All of those can't be pinned on an AD. Especially one who has been the AD for two years. Just my opinion.

Signing away the OB IS UNFORGIVEABLE and the Single Worst thing to ever happen to South Florida sports

I'll never understand why some fans continue to act as though UM had any choice in the matter. Shalala offered to cough up tens of millions of dollars for UM to contribute to renovations on the OB. Plans were drawn up. The corrupt city officials backed out of the deal and screwed UM. But yea, let's blame Shalala/UM and say that it's "UNFORGIVABLE" that she "signed over" the OB.

If you want to nitpick, fine. My particular point is more in regards to what the LOSS of the OB has done to the sports culture down here.

Honestly, I think that's a cop-out. We were on the down-slide before we ever left the OB. The OB didn't win us games.

It was a loud and angry environment---When we were winning and when we were playing top competition regularly.

But the truth is that Sun Life can be loud and daunting as well. We saw that in the Duke game just a couple weeks ago. The place only had 35k or so fans, but it sounded loud as **** on TV, so much so that Cutcliffe even remarked on how loud the crowd was.

If we can ever put a winning team together, I can guarantee you that the place would be rocking for a big-time game.

Advertisement
Winning cures everything-- but we're clearly not "trending-up" under this staff, and unfit for the tidy bowl under this administration.

Something's gotta give.

Unless you've donated money to the U (and I'm not talking about the 2 tix you bought in the top row, corner for one game), STFU.

The grant of rights coincides with the ACC's TV deal with ESPN through the 2026-27 season. That deal was worth $17 million per school per year, but sources told ESPN last year it is expected to increase to at least $20 million per school per year with the addition of Notre Dame.

20 million - 10 million (for all other sports) = 10 million.

10 million - 2.3 million (which is Folden annual salary through 2/1/20 and which should include a smaller buyout, and which could be further lowered especially if UM takes a position like it with Radio) = 7.7 million.

7.7 million - .7 million (for assistant corches buyouts, if any) = 7.0 million

7.0 million - 4.0 million (for Gary Patterson, which includes .5 million salary increase) = 3.0 million

3.0 million- 2.0 million (for both coordinators - highest paid coordinator is Chad Morris 1.30965 million) = 1.0 million

1.0 million (for the rest of the staff).

This is based only on the ESPN deal and doesn't include any other revenue streams, i.e. tickets, licensing, etc.

No doubt, UM has the money. The question is whether they want to spend it on football.

Last edited:
The grant of rights coincides with the ACC's TV deal with ESPN through the 2026-27 season. That deal was worth $17 million per school per year, but sources told ESPN last year it is expected to increase to at least $20 million per school per year with the addition of Notre Dame.

20 million - 10 million (for all other sports) = 10 million.

10 million - 2.3 million (which is Folden annual salary through 2/1/20 and which should include a smaller buyout, and which could be further lowered especially if UM takes a position like it with Radio) = 7.7 million.

7.7 million - .7 million (for assistant corches buyouts, if any) = 7.0 million

7.0 million - 4.0 million (for Gary Patterson, which includes .5 million salary increase) = 3.0 million

3.0 million- 2.0 million (for both coordinators - highest paid coordinator is Chad Morris 1.30965 million) = 1.0 million

1.0 million (for the rest of the staff).

This is based only on the ESPN deal and doesn't include any other revenue streams, i.e. tickets, licensing, etc.

No doubt, UM has the money. The question is whether they want to spend it on football.

Oh and you left out that prize we got from Maryland.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...08_1_exit-fee-conference-revenues-acc-members

Advertisement
To me, he has seemed to do more than the two prior to him. There has been a lot of advancements in some of the facilities for the football team under his watch. I'd be able to judge him more effectively based up on who he hires to run any of the athletic teams. Now the administration is an absolute joke. Signing away the Orange Bowl is nearly unforgiveable. Never opening the pockets also hurts this team. All of those can't be pinned on an AD. Especially one who has been the AD for two years. Just my opinion.

Signing away the OB IS UNFORGIVEABLE and the Single Worst thing to ever happen to South Florida sports

I'll never understand why some fans continue to act as though UM had any choice in the matter. Shalala offered to cough up tens of millions of dollars for UM to contribute to renovations on the OB. Plans were drawn up. The corrupt city officials backed out of the deal and screwed UM. But yea, let's blame Shalala/UM and say that it's "UNFORGIVABLE" that she "signed over" the OB.

If you want to nitpick, fine. My particular point is more in regards to what the LOSS of the OB has done to the sports culture down here.

Honestly, I think that's a cop-out. We were on the down-slide before we ever left the OB. The OB didn't win us games.

It was a loud and angry environment---When we were winning and when we were playing top competition regularly.

But the truth is that Sun Life can be loud and daunting as well. We saw that in the Duke game just a couple weeks ago. The place only had 35k or so fans, but it sounded loud as **** on TV, so much so that Cutcliffe even remarked on how loud the crowd was.

If we can ever put a winning team together, I can guarantee you that the place would be rocking for a big-time game.

Respectfully Disagree. Let me clarify my point further. As a region that is not that old and has very little in terms of historical landmarks in general- The OB was just that for the sports culture here. A couple generations of us grew up watching the Canes and Dolphins there and have fond memories of legendary games that took place there. Games the Dolphins and Canes made their names on. There was more history there than in all the other Sofla sporting stadiums combined. They don't call the Orange Bowl (the game) The Joe Robbie Bowl. The OB was a historically significant landmark and more than just a place to watch games. It was a big part of our sports identity as a community.

Last edited:

Respectfully Disagree. Let me clarify my point further. As a region that is not that old and has very little in terms of historical landmarks in general- The OB was just that for the sports culture here. A couple generations of us grew up watching the Canes and Dolphins there and have fond memories of legendary games that took place there. Games the Dolphins and Canes made their names on. There was more history there than in all the other Sofla sporting stadiums combined. They don't call the Orange Bowl (the game) The Joe Robbie Bowl. The OB was a historically significant landmark and more than just a place to watch games. It was a big part of our sports identity as a community.

I understand what you're saying, but the truth of the matter is that the mythology of the OB is more for the fans. Players didn't become magically better because they played in the OB versus Sun Life. UM coaches didn't become better tacticians because of the OB.

Point being that the history of the OB, while certainly a part of UM lore, didn't help win games. The crowd noise surely played a role, but the structure itself didn't help us in the pre-Schnellenberger years, and it didn't keep us from getting destroyed by UVA in our last game there.

It's nice for the few aging UM fans who were around to see the glory days of the 80s and 90s (I'm one of them, btw), and of course it would have been nice if the city would have lived up to its end of the bargain and renovated the old girl as negotiated. But it didn't make UM win games, and it's not the reason we're losing games now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back