Newton puts Miami in top group, working on visit after offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the spring evaluation period opening up in full force lately, the Miami staff has been hitting the road and new offers have been flying out on a regular basis. Yesterday, UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker and DL coach Todd Stroud made their way to Clearwater Central Catholic to check in on 2020 3-star DE/DT Jerzhan Newton, and the pair extended an offer before leaving.

“Coach Baker and coach Stroud came to our practice yesterday and told me I got the offer,” Newton said. “I was really happy, and when I told my teammates, they were all filled with joy and it was a good moment. I’ve been waiting on this one.”

Why has he been waiting on an offer from Miami?

“Well, my head coach went there so he talks about them highly, and it’s not too far from home,” Newton said. “I like the program overall.”

His head coach? Former Hurricanes’ long snapper Chris Harvey, who played with the team from 1999-2003 and was the starting LS each of his 4 eligible seasons at UM. Harvey has spent the past 3 seasons leading Clearwater Central Catholic, amassing a 32-4 record in that time.

“Coach tells me how they were the greatest thing ever and that I’m going to be a future Cane,” Newton said.

Both Harvey and Newton helped lead the Marauders to an undefeated regular season in 2018, although Newton missed a chunk of the year with a broken leg before returning for the playoffs. The star defensive lineman was still able to make his presence felt in limited time, though, recording 38 tackles, 6 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries in 7 total games. Clearwater Central Catholic advanced to the third round before falling to the eventual champs in Chaminade-Madonna.

“I broke my leg in the preseason game, but I did alright for playing on a broken leg,” Newton said. “I came back and played in playoffs and scored a touchdown on offense too. So I think I did alright for playing with a broken leg. My team did good.”

In terms of recruiting, Newton is excited to have the opportunity to play for Miami and says he would already put Miami among his top choices. Newton (who lists himself at 6-2 250) is trying to set up a UM visit this month and is coming off recent visits to Georgia Tech and USF.

“My interest is very high and I’m trying to set up a visit for the 11th,” Newton said of Miami. “My top group is GT, USF, UCF, and now Miami.”

When he’s on his Miami visit, Newton plans to be sure to take note of a few factors he says are important to him when choosing a school

“Good academics for one,” Newton said. “I gotta see how the coaches are, if they care about you as a person or just a player. Those are the main factors.”

A decision could be coming up for Newton over the summer, but he’s in no rush to choose if the right school is still unclear.

“I’m either committing on my birthday (August 31) or on the signing day in December. I still gotta make my mind up.”

Advertisement
“I broke my leg in the preseason game, but I did alright for playing on a broken leg,” Newton said. “I came back and played in playoffs and scored a touchdown on offense too. So I think I did alright for playing with a broken leg. My team did good.”

SAVAGE

Advertisement
So he’s a DE DT prospect and also plays offense and makes plays? Do we think he will be big enough to play inside? Or will he be a DE at around 270?

Advertisement
If this guy has a real frame to add weight, then he will develop into an absolute monster on the interior

With the spring evaluation period opening up in full force lately, the Miami staff has been hitting the road and new offers have been flying out on a regular basis. Yesterday, UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker and DL coach Todd Stroud made their way to Clearwater Central Catholic to check in on 2020 3-star DE/DT Jerzhan Newton, and the pair extended an offer before leaving.

“Coach Baker and coach Stroud came to our practice yesterday and told me I got the offer,” Newton said. “I was really happy, and when I told my teammates, they were all filled with joy and it was a good moment. I’ve been waiting on this one.”

Why has he been waiting on an offer from Miami?

“Well, my head coach went there so he talks about them highly, and it’s not too far from home,” Newton said. “I like the program overall.”

His head coach? Former Hurricanes’ long snapper Chris Harvey, who played with the team from 1999-2003 and was the starting LS each of his 4 eligible seasons at UM. Harvey has spent the past 3 seasons leading Clearwater Central Catholic, amassing a 32-4 record in that time.

“Coach tells me how they were the greatest thing ever and that I’m going to be a future Cane,” Newton said.

Both Harvey and Newton helped lead the Marauders to an undefeated regular season in 2018, although Newton missed a chunk of the year with a broken leg before returning for the playoffs. The star defensive lineman was still able to make his presence felt in limited time, though, recording 38 tackles, 6 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries in 7 total games. Clearwater Central Catholic advanced to the third round before falling to the eventual champs in Chaminade-Madonna.

In terms of recruiting, Newton is excited to have the opportunity to play for Miami and says he would already put Miami among his top choices. Newton (who lists himself at 6-2 250) is trying to set up a UM visit this month and is coming off recent visits to Georgia Tech and USF.

“My interest is very high and I’m trying to set up a visit for the 11th,” Newton said of Miami. “My top group is GT, USF, UCF, and now Miami.”

When he’s on his Miami visit, Newton plans to be sure to take note of a few factors he says are important to him when choosing a school

“Good academics for one,” Newton said. “I gotta see how the coaches are, if they care about you as a person or just a player. Those are the main factors.”

A decision could be coming up for Newton over the summer, but he’s in no rush to choose if the right school is still unclear.

“I’m either committing on my birthday (August 31) or on the signing day in December. I still gotta make my mind up.”

Thank you for another excellent overview Stefan! I always look forward to your reports, in particular for their insightful details. Please keep them coming!

Advertisement
Advertisement
He is favoring that broke leg. Otherwise there is a hitch in his getti-up. Does have some promise.

Advertisement
Back