Newest QB offeree Del Rio speaks on Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Despite just finishing his freshman season of high school, 2021 McEachern (GA) QB Carlos Del Rio is already making noise on the recruiting scene. He’s picked up his first four offers just this month alone and all have been from Power 5 schools. After Michigan, NC State, and Florida extended scholarships, Del Rio made the long trek from Georgia to South Florida two weekends back to participate in the Mark Richt Summer Camp for Underclassmen in the hopes of earning an offer from the Miami Hurricanes.

“I actually drove 10 hours to go compete at the UM camp,” Del Rio said. “I think I did pretty good. A lot of great QB’s were there that day. I know I’m going to get much better, but I can compete right now with anyone.”

Apparently, that’s absolutely true. In what was his second trip to campus, Del Rio put his talent on display and impressed the UM coaching staff, receiving the news of his offer from QB coach Jon Richt himself.

“It was awesome to get an offer from them,” Del Rio said of the Canes. “My family is from Miami on my dad’s side. I came by another time to take a campus tour and I really liked it, so I knew I wanted to come back and compete for a spot.”

What is it about UM that attracts Del Rio to the program in Coral Gables?

“Miami has an awesome tradition. Also, the coaches are great and I think I would fit into the offense they run,” Del Rio said. “I think UM is going to be a top contender by the time I would get there. Also, what’s not to like about Miami? It’s Miami!”

Now with the offer in hand, Del Rio places the Canes at the forefront of his recruitment.

“Definitely one of my top schools,” Del Rio said on UM. “I know I’m still young and everybody tells me to take my time, but UM definitely has me excited.”

Miami isn’t the only on-campus camp Del Rio’s hit. Over the off-season, he’s taken visits to and competed at a host of southern schools such as Clemson, FSU, Alabama, and Auburn and soon he’ll be venturing farther north to see which other top programs will take an interest in his talents.

“I’ll be going to visit ND, UNC, Arkansas, and Ohio State soon,” Del Rio said.

Del Rio, who lists himself at 6’2.5” and 198 pounds, will have some time to rack up more offers and explore other programs, planning to make his choice by his junior season. As for what he’s eyeing in a college, it’s clear that early playing time and winning will be important factors in Del Rio’s final decision.

“Probably by the end of my junior year,” Del Rio said on his decision timetable. “Coaching, O-Line, receivers, depth chart… I want to play. I want a team going in the right direction and that I can help make a better team.”

Advertisement
I don’t know about anyone else but I’m very impressed. Kid is a baller, Great offer!

Let's hope Daddy shows more dedication to the U than these young locals. Kid seemed genuinely excited. A Del Rio at QB in Miami sounds nice.

I like the way he throws on the move.
Nice film for any year QB.
Very impressive for a 14/15 year old frosh.

Advertisement
Despite just finishing his freshman season of high school, 2021 McEachern (GA) QB Carlos Del Rio is already making noise on the recruiting scene. He’s picked up his first four offers just this month alone and all have been from Power 5 schools. After Michigan, NC State, and Florida extended scholarships, Del Rio made the long trek from Georgia to South Florida two weekends back to participate in the Mark Richt Summer Camp for Underclassmen in the hopes of earning an offer from the Miami Hurricanes.

“I actually drove 10 hours to go compete at the UM camp,” Del Rio said. “I think I did pretty good. A lot of great QB’s were there that day. I know I’m going to get much better, but I can compete right now with anyone.”

Apparently, that’s absolutely true. In what was his second trip to campus, Del Rio put his talent on display and impressed the UM coaching staff, receiving the news of his offer from QB coach Jon Richt himself.

“It was awesome to get an offer from them,” Del Rio said of the Canes. “My family is from Miami on my dad’s side. I came by another time to take a campus tour and I really liked it, so I knew I wanted to come back and compete for a spot.”

What is it about UM that attracts Del Rio to the program in Coral Gables?

“Miami has an awesome tradition. Also, the coaches are great and I think I would fit into the offense they run,” Del Rio said. “I think UM is going to be a top contender by the time I would get there. Also, what’s not to like about Miami? It’s Miami!”

Now with the offer in hand, Del Rio places the Canes at the forefront of his recruitment.

“Definitely one of my top schools,” Del Rio said on UM. “I know I’m still young and everybody tells me to take my time, but UM definitely has me excited.”

Miami isn’t the only on-campus camp Del Rio’s hit. Over the off-season, he’s taken visits to and competed at a host of southern schools such as Clemson, FSU, Alabama, and Auburn and soon he’ll be venturing farther north to see which other top programs will take an interest in his talents.

“I’ll be going to visit ND, UNC, Arkansas, and Ohio State soon,” Del Rio said.

Del Rio, who lists himself at 6’2.5” and 198 pounds, will have some time to rack up more offers and explore other programs, planning to make his choice by his junior season. As for what he’s eyeing in a college, it’s clear that early playing time and winning will be important factors in Del Rio’s final decision.

“Probably by the end of my junior year,” Del Rio said on his decision timetable. “Coaching, O-Line, receivers, depth chart… I want to play. I want a team going in the right direction and that I can help make a better team.”

Kids going to be a super star. He would be a game changer!

Fugg it. It’s the dead period. We got ice cream boy, and UT trolls. I’ll be fake insider and say that Del Rio was camper 186 and he’s a silent commit.
Call me the ladle TM.

Looked a lot like Jacory Harris to me some good some bad the throws off his back foot is what reminded me of jh also has a long load up but being he’s only a freshman he has a lot of time to work on his skills

Advertisement
Legal question: if you quote a trademarked post in a response, are you violating that trademark? Or, does that only apply to copyrighted posts?

I wouldn't want to have to pay some royalties or licensing fees just for innocently quoting somebody else's post.

This is getting complicated.

Advertisement
Just my opinion look at the first two throws how he threw of his back foot and lofted the ball in the air that’s what jh did. It worked in hs but not in college. Just my opinion who do you compare him to?

Nobody.

Kid’s a phenom. Did you miss the part about him being a freshman? What do you think Jacory looked like physically, how much do you think he weighed, and how well do you think he played as a freshman?

Are you getting my point? Nothing like him.

Nobody.

Kid’s a phenom. Did you miss the part about him being a freshman? What do you think Jacory looked like physically, how much do you think he weighed, and how well do you think he played as a freshman?

Are you getting my point? Nothing like him.
Not sure. I was comparing him to the hs footage I watched of jh I didn’t watch his freshman highlights. I did mention in my post that he’s still a freshman and has plenty of time to home in on his skills. I also thought jh would be a star here but he was too impatient and would loft passes off his back foot that would eventually be intercepted. Not sure if it was a bad habit he learned in his or he was just scared to get hit. I was one the fans calling for Morris. Hopefully this kid progresses and becomes a star at the U✋🏼🤚🏼

Looked a lot like Jacory Harris to me some good some bad the throws off his back foot is what reminded me of jh also has a long load up but being he’s only a freshman he has a lot of time to work on his skills

Yeah that segment of back foot throws did remind me a lot of J12 also.

Advertisement
LOL - so I guess any backfoot throw reminds you guys of Jacory.

Dumb.

This kid as 14 year old already puts more mustard on it than Jacory did as a college senior, but sure, he’s like Jacory because, you know

Last edited:
God I wish his oline could block just a little to let him step into some of those throws.

Yeah, but notice how well he throws them without even stepping in. On the run, off back foot, flat footed, doesn’t seem to matter. Kid got arm.

A co-worker's kids play with him at McEachern and he says the young man is all about the U!
Hopefully that will hold for the next couple years
and we get his signature on an LOI.

Yeah, but notice how well he throws them without even stepping in. On the run, off back foot, flat footed, doesn’t seem to matter. Kid got arm.

Exactly. He’s getting those throws off and getting distance without the benefit of his lower body. Shows he has a powerful arm for a very young kid.

Advertisement
Back