Newberg: Sony, Yearby, Cook article

Coley basically moved into Cook's house, to the point that his grandma was complaining. Does that mean Coley doesn't appreciate Yearby?

This is the University of Miami. Home of Edgerrin James, Ottis Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee and Frank Gore.

Don't give me two 180-pound backs and tell me I'm spoiled. I want a 200+ pound horse that can run, catch and break games open. Somebody that looks like a future Pro Bowler. There have been three prospects with that profile the past two years. We need at least one of them.

Exactly. We need some bucks. We have the jitterbugs. Now we need some bucks. Since when did it become a crime around here to sign more than 1 great RB?

Advertisement
I understand that you can't force a kid to sign. And I'm pretty sure that fsu (if that's where Cook winds up) won't have a gun to his head when he signs with them and neither will UGA with Michel. Recruiting is sales.

Sometimes, a salesman gets outsold by another salesman. Urb did it with Johnnie ****face. Walked into Al's backyard and took a guy who practically lived on UM's campus he was here so often. And it seems like others might do it with Cook and Michel. Key is not allowing that to happen too often with too many of the super blue-chip guys in your backyard, or else you wind up with UM fans claiming that Duke is more talented than we are.

I'm going to stand by my belief that recruiting is a results game, not a "try hard" game. You can try day and night, but if you're not pushing the right buttons or the recruit is turned off to you and turned on by something something else is pitching, then you lose. There are no merit badges for trying hard.

I agree that recruiting is a results game, and we have a consensus top 5 class that's addressed all of our needs. I don't think it's a failure if we "only" get 1 of 3 elite South Florida RBs.

There is a need for Cook or Michel, which is what DMoney has preached from the jump, even before Yearby flipped to us. Cook and Michel are stark in contrast in both physical stature and skill set to Yearby. We need what one of those two can bring. This goes well beyond the "just be happy we got one out of the of three" or "we have a top 5 class" logic. A Cook or Michel-type back is not a luxury at this point, even with Yearby, IMO. We need one of those guys.

Maybe the Franchise should apply for the head coaching position,if qualified, and that way we never miss out any recruits. I am sure he would have a 100% ratio and out work all of the coaches on Al's staff. I bet he would never lose a game except when he is parting the Red Sea.

Typical productive post from this dried up *** towel.

I understand that you can't force a kid to sign. And I'm pretty sure that fsu (if that's where Cook winds up) won't have a gun to his head when he signs with them and neither will UGA with Michel. Recruiting is sales.

Sometimes, a salesman gets outsold by another salesman. Urb did it with Johnnie ****face. Walked into Al's backyard and took a guy who practically lived on UM's campus he was here so often. And it seems like others might do it with Cook and Michel. Key is not allowing that to happen too often with too many of the super blue-chip guys in your backyard, or else you wind up with UM fans claiming that Duke is more talented than we are.

I'm going to stand by my belief that recruiting is a results game, not a "try hard" game. You can try day and night, but if you're not pushing the right buttons or the recruit is turned off to you and turned on by something something else is pitching, then you lose. There are no merit badges for trying hard.

I agree that recruiting is a results game, and we have a consensus top 5 class that's addressed all of our needs. I don't think it's a failure if we "only" get 1 of 3 elite South Florida RBs.

It's a very good class, but that doesn't excuse losing local super blue-chippers. I'm a demanding guy. I understand that others aren't as demanding. I just don't want to hear fans continuing to lament our talent disadvantage and to act like we have no business on the same field with teams like fsu. I'm sick of death struggles with feeble ACC teams and getting our asses kicked by decent ACC teams.

We aren't out-scheming anyone. The only way we are going to beat a team like fsu that is taking the super blue-chippers from our backyard and super blue-chippers from elsewhere too is to stop allowing them to take guys like Cook from under your nose. If we lose Cook it's a crime. If we lose him to fsu, it's murder.

Coley basically moved into Cook's house, to the point that his grandma was complaining. Does that mean Coley doesn't appreciate Yearby?

This is the University of Miami. Home of Edgerrin James, Ottis Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee and Frank Gore.

Don't give me two 180-pound backs and tell me I'm spoiled. I want a 200+ pound horse that can run, catch and break games open. Somebody that looks like a future Pro Bowler. There have been three prospects with that profile the past two years. We need at least one of them.

Exactly. We need some bucks. We have the jitterbugs. Now we need some bucks. Since when did it become a crime around here to sign more than 1 great RB?

Everyone here wants to sign Cook/Michel. I just don't think it's a failure if we don't. We got Yearby, and I liked what I saw from Gus last year. His feet were better than I expected.

Advertisement

Everyone here wants to sign Cook/Michel. I just don't think it's a failure if we don't. We got Yearby, and I liked what I saw from Gus last year. His feet were better than I expected.

Losing equals failure in my book. And if we don't sign Cook or Michel we lost out on them. Hence, we failed.

Its more than just a simple statement that we missed out on Cook/Michel. Unfortunately Collins gets lumped into this whole situation. As D$ said, we need an elite 200+ pound horse in our stable and there have been three in our local area the past two years, and missing out on all of them just stings. Collins' situation was ****ed up, no doubt, but we still lost him. Now you couple that with losing a life long Miami fan like Sony and Cook, a kid from one of our main feeder schools.......
Im sorry but if failure is too strong of a word, give me another word. I do know that it should be looked at as unacceptable.

Maybe the Franchise should apply for the head coaching position,if qualified, and that way we never miss out any recruits. I am sure he would have a 100% ratio and out work all of the coaches on Al's staff. I bet he would never lose a game except when he is parting the Red Sea.

:eekeyes:

:ibisroflmao: dorito and Goldman must share the towel.

Advertisement
Guess that means you are not qualified to carry Al's jockstrap or his job. Just another message board loudmouth.

I wont blame the staff if we lose Cook...Have you seen the difference in our depth chart/recruits and theirs? I know great players aren't supposed to be afraid of completion but they have 3 guys that will be seniors next year (IF none leave) and 1 mediocre recruit at RB. We need that home town draw to even up the picture....

I wont blame the staff if we lose Cook...Have you seen the difference in our depth chart/recruits and theirs? I know great players aren't supposed to be afraid of completion but they have 3 guys that will be seniors next year (IF none leave) and 1 mediocre recruit at RB. We need that home town draw to even up the picture....

They also got the #2 RB in the state last year in Green and Pender who was a consensus top 50 national kid has been reinstated.

duke is probably gone after his next year due to injuries a tailback can suffer. Crawford is not a miami caliber starting running back because he is on the smaller side and slow at the same time. Gus edwards is a big back. After next year Cook and yearby would take the reigns with edwards as the big back and powell would be the athlete on offense who would play multiple positions.
Fsu running backs; Karlos williams is not leaving this year yet, or wilder. They have 2 studs freshmen running backs in supposedly the next big thing at fsu Mario Pender(his grades are good now) and ryan green who was also a great back coming out of highschool( ryan green is my cousin but he goes to fsu.... so you know how that goes. Dont let anybody fool you fsu has more depth at running back than we do by far. Next spring duke and yearby would be rehabbing meaning we would only have 3 healthy backs on the roster with crawford, edwards, powell and if we add cook 4. Cook has a chance to start by the end of the spring with duke and yearby rehabing their injuries.

Advertisement

They also got the #2 RB in the state last year in Green and Pender who was a consensus top 50 national kid has been reinstated.

I hope our coaches remind Cook about that , lol. Not knowing, the situation looks wide open up there.

I hope our coaches remind Cook about that , lol. Not knowing, the situation looks wide open up there.

For sure, Cook's best chance of playing early is right here. They are stacked for next year and then the following year Green will be a junior and Pender, who BTW is kinda like our own Eddie Johnson, too much goon for his own good, is gonna still be a junior. The person to watch is Pender if he can get his **** together, the kid is a mega stud. It was him and Duke as 1a and 1b in the state that year til Duke went unconscious in the the playoffs.

duke is probably gone after his next year due to injuries a tailback can suffer. Crawford is not a miami caliber starting running back because he is on the smaller side and slow at the same time. Gus edwards is a big back. After next year Cook and yearby would take the reigns with edwards as the big back and powell would be the athlete on offense who would play multiple positions.
Fsu running backs; Karlos williams is not leaving this year yet, or wilder. They have 2 studs freshmen running backs in supposedly the next big thing at fsu Mario Pender(his grades are good now) and ryan green who was also a great back coming out of highschool( ryan green is my cousin but he goes to fsu.... so you know how that goes. Dont let anybody fool you fsu has more depth at running back than we do by far. Next spring duke and yearby would be rehabbing meaning we would only have 3 healthy backs on the roster with crawford, edwards, powell and if we add cook 4. Cook has a chance to start by the end of the spring with duke and yearby rehabing their injuries.

To also add to that, Gus has size but he is more of a finesse back. I feel like Yearby, even at his size will be our best in between the tackles runner.

Advertisement
Im a bit behind but why did Yearby get the bulk of the carries and yards if Cook is that much better....or is he?

BTW, FSU can still get Joe Mixon as they did get his last visit....

Im a bit behind but why did Yearby get the bulk of the carries and yards if Cook is that much better....or is he?

Yearby plays full time RB. Cook play RB, Special Teams and full time DB.

If they don't there not selling one of the "wants" of Cook, opportunity to play early, also he would have the opportunity to be a "program changer" Those things can happen for him at Miami, not so much at FSwho.

Yearby is a better in between the tackle running back than cook

Advertisement
Back