Newberg: Sony, Yearby, Cook article

You guys need to quit with the "they tried their hardest" argument. Al Golden says that Coach D is busting his *** every week, if our D sucks again(God forbid he is back next year), should we keep Coach D again because he "tried his hardest"? Some of you guys need to get rid of this losers mentality. If our current coaches can't recruit elite kids from our own backyard and keep them home, then they should be fired. Especially our defensive coaches cause they sure as **** not showing **** out on the field.

I want to get kids that Bama, LSU and FSU, I'm tired of settling for these "hidden gems" that haven't produce **** and can't even get guys like Shayon and AJ off the field.

Advertisement
You guys need to quit with the "they tried their hardest" argument. Al Golden says that Coach D is busting his *** every week, if our D sucks again(God forbid he is back next year), should we keep Coach D again because he "tried his hardest"? Some of you guys need to get rid of this losers mentality. If our current coaches can't recruit elite kids from our own backyard and keep them home, then they should be fired. Especially our defensive coaches cause they sure as **** not showing **** out on the field.

I want to get kids that Bama, LSU and FSU, I'm tired of settling for these "hidden gems" that haven't produce **** and can't even get guys like Shayon and AJ off the field.

Are the following not elite?

Duke
Howard
Malcolm
Coley
Grace
Chad
Valentine
Yearby
Darling
McDermott

We never...NEVER...kept everyone at home. Settle your *** down. We all want to get everyone, but if you actually thought we were going to get Yearby, Cook AND Michel in once class you've obviously never been through Crootin' before. Ditto Lane/Rudolph/Dixon.

Are the following not elite?

Duke
Howard
Malcolm
Coley
Grace
Chad
Valentine
Yearby
Darling
McDermott

We never...NEVER...kept everyone at home. Settle your *** down. We all want to get everyone, but if you actually thought we were going to get Yearby, Cook AND Michel in once class you've obviously never been through Crootin' before. Ditto Lane/Rudolph/Dixon.
After the 2012 class I thought Al Golden was capable of doing better than 1/6 of those bolded names. I mean Mario Mendoza had a better average. I had made up my mind to stay out of this thread, but seeing that made me even more pist.

There's more to sell than attendance only. History, legacy, name brand, proximity to home (family and friends), weather, academics, family environment with teammates that's already established from previous visits.

If we lose because of an attendance argument then our coaches are bad at their jobs.

Exactly........
Im sorry but can Urban sell weather? Can he sell playing in front of friends and family every Saturday? How about becoming a hometown legend, not of a podunk college or a midwest city like Columbus, but a world class city like Miami? What about the music scene, the culture, the WOMEN? As far as Im concerned these things are a much bigger deal to 18 year old kids than attendance....

Well gee, maybe you should send Golden an email and remind him to mention those things. Do you really think the staff hasnt pointed out EVERY possible thing you can think of to try to convince a kid to come here? In the end, the decision is OUT of our hands!!! You dont know what Urban told this kid. He might have told him he will be the centerpiece of the offense. Urban is KNOWN for bullsh*tting kids and telling them anything they want to hear to land them. The bottom line is all you can do is make your best pitch, and the kid has to decide what he wants to do for his own reasons. And frankly, none of us have a f*cking clue what those reasons are.

Did I say that? There you go again on a tangent that has nothing to do with anything. Im pointing out that just as we have disadvantages we also have many advantages. Of course the decision is out of our hands, but hey last time I checked this is a Miami football message board where we talk about the different things going on with the program, one of them being recruiting. You are right you make the best pitch you can and the kid has to decide, but you are judged on the results. You dont prep for a football game, and then let the game play out, and not get judged by results, do you?

Come on man, a coach very much has a hand in the outcome of a football team. He calls the plays, scouts the other team, prepares the gameplan, makes in-game decisions, so yes, he has much more accountability to how his team performs on the football field. Granted there is only so much he can do, he's not on the field actually executing the gameplan, in college, he's the primary individual that can be held accountable for the team's performance. In recruiting, a coach can offer a kid a scholarship, invite him for a visit, call him on the phone, send assistant coaches to meet with him, and then have one in home visit with the kid and his family. That's it. All he can do is make a pitch. Just like any other coach. He really has no control or hand on the eventual outcome.

The best you can do to evaluate a coach's recruiting is how his players pan out, and how he does overall in recruiting talent, and for the needs of his team. If you have a coach in a talent rich area, at a pretty good program with good resources, who cant land anyone, then I think its indicative that you may have a problem. Conversely, if you have a coach, who's program is struggling, and yet is managing to bring in talent that is out of proportion with what one would expect given the program's success and resources, then you might have a pretty **** good recruiter on your hands. But to judge a coach by individual kids, is silly. Individual kids make their own decisions, and for a multitude of reasons.

If you told me Golden hadnt landed ONE top South Florida athlete, I would say, we may have a problem. But he got the best DTs in South Florida, the best DEs in South Florida. Two of the best RBs in South Florida(and nation). One of the best pure athletes in South Florida. The BEST Offensive Linemen in all of South Florida.. Two of the best LBs in South Florida. One of the best DBs in South Florida, and we are hot on the trail of another. We also got two of the top WRs in South Florida, who some of our rivals were also hot after.

This while being unranked, and going head to head against the team playing for the MNC.

How many times have you heard a recruit say that the reason he chose a school was because he felt comfortable with the staff? According to ur discription of recruiting, it's a robots job of just presenting the program and nothing else. It's nothing like a game. The staff don't present their angle on how the kid will be used and how he will be used differently here than other places. It has nothing to do with connecting with the kid and relating to him more so than the next coach. Recruiting is about changing minds and the best are good at it no matter where they are.

We have a bunch of kids that Bama, LSU, and FSU want. So your post has zero substance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back