New vs. Old Debate: Signing Day

Which Signing Day Structure Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gambino97

Recruit
Call me old school, but am I the only one that dislikes the new structure of signing day (2 signing periods) vs. the old format?

The 1st Wednesday in February seemed to hold some prestige, excitement, but now, with most kids being signed, it just doesnt feel the same. (editor's note: Yes, maybe my view of signing day is a little down because Miami has not exactly been killing it on the recruiting trail LOL). Even the Early signing date in December doesn't feel NEARLY as exciting as past years....

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Speaking of new vs. old, I am ready for a new attitude on both signing days that we aren't going to swing and miss on every big name recruit. I am not at all blaming Manny for this season, as Richt handed off a total piece of crap, but it is time to be able to get excited about recruiting again!

i think the new address's todays players... they want to graduate early enroll in college.
get a semester under there belt, credits toward graduating, getting into weight training, training table
and spring ball..... so after fall camp if they are good enough they can contribute.
kind of a unique head start program

Advertisement
Speaking of new vs. old, I am ready for a new attitude on both signing days that we aren't going to swing and miss on every big name recruit. I am not at all blaming Manny for this season, as Richt handed off a total piece of crap, but it is time to be able to get excited about recruiting again!

This won't change UNLESS we win consistently but I agree

i think the new address's todays players... they want to graduate early enroll in college.
get a semester under there belt, credits toward graduating, getting into weight training, training table
and spring ball..... so after fall camp if they are good enough they can contribute.
kind of a unique head start program

Good points. The new structure is great for players, just for me as a fan, it just does not hold the same allure. I know its not ever going back but just wanted to see where opinions lie.

I think you will probably see changes even more along the lines of basketball in the future.

Early signing period has totally overtaken NSD...Something like 90%+ of the top 300 players have been signed to LOIs since late December. Using the holiday analogy I saw above, Early Signing Period is Christmas. National Signing Day is Taco Tuesday.

I like the first Wednesday in February. Good point on players signing early due to enrolling in January, but as we saw this year coaching changes can have an adverse effect on a decision made prior to the season ending. I guess being let out of the NLI without penalty as some were is the answer.

Advertisement
Ok so I might be mistaken but y’all are talking about the new/ old signings as it pertains to FB. A lot of other HS Sports have always had early signing some in November. I assume FBer’s could sign them also, but bc it was such a big ***king showtime deal they shoes Feb. to sign. Some private schools wanted all their athletes to sign in February. It’s bullshyt, let them sign when they want, and let’s keep it a SIGNING, and not a ***king Coronation.

Call me old school, but am I the only one that dislikes the new structure of signing day (2 signing periods) vs. the old format?

The 1st Wednesday in February seemed to hold some prestige, excitement, but now, with most kids being signed, it just doesnt feel the same. (editor's note: Yes, maybe my view of signing day is a little down because Miami has not exactly been killing it on the recruiting trail LOL). Even the Early signing date in December doesn't feel NEARLY as exciting as past years....

Thoughts?

Yes and I think its dumb for a plyer to sign early given how many things happen with changes between the 2 days

Thoughts?

Why be sorry to see the old way go? We’d sucked at it for years.

Advertisement
I know I use to take every signing day off before the new early signing period. Now I don't even bother because like state above, most classes are now being signed in December.

I sure do miss having that day off to track and watch the recruiting battles, etc.

New school is better but change it up to have a kid be able to change his mind by January 1st because most schools will just play the kids and make coaching changes after they sign

I feel like I recall us hemorrhaging recruits a few years in a row back when it was just one day. I have felt like this has helped us in general. And if we can consistently beat the teams we should beat, this should benefit us.

Advertisement

Thoughts?

I’d prefer not to have a “signing day” at all.

Signing day in college football has become a clown show....with the “top 20 lists,” hat games, edits, etc.

These kids make themselves look like idiots with their recruiting drama, and the adults enable this tomfoolery.

Just let them sign their scholarship papers in private when they show up to campus to enroll.

Old way.

And by that I mean the days before immediate updates via text/ twitter/ online. I loved the excitement of reading the Heralds Sports page the Thursday after NSD to dive into who we got, analysis, where the other local kids went, etc.

Todays way is anticlimactic and I hate the 2 separate dates.

Advertisement
Back