New Unis !! (We hope)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just wanted to post this article so ppl don’t think I’m tripping when it comes to apparel & perception.

https://auburnuniforms.com/2021/07/26/under-armour-vs-nike-vs-adidas/

This comes on the heels of UA ******** over a number of schools, unfortunately. AU lost almost $9m on their apparel deal w/ UA, & it’s being rumored that even Maryland, UA’s flagship might bounce. Regardless, it’s a good read & u’ll see an outsider’s perspective.

Just wanted to post this article so ppl don’t think I’m tripping when it comes to apparel & perception.

This comes on the heels of UA ******** over a number of schools, unfortunately. AU lost almost $9m on their apparel deal w/ UA, & it’s being rumored that even Maryland, UA’s flagship might bounce. Regardless, it’s a good read & u’ll see an outsider’s perspective.
Thanks for the article.

I tried to get through it, but it's just not my subject. To be honest, I just want the team to look good and don't really care about the manufacturer. If the manufacturer is important to recruits though, go with the fave. lol

In reading that article, I just kept thinking of celebrities at the Oscar's being asked "who are you wearing?".

Thanks for the article.

I tried to get through it, but it's just not my subject. To be honest, I just want the team to look good and don't really care about the manufacturer. If the manufacturer is important to recruits though, go with the fave. lol

In reading that article, I just kept thinking of celebrities at the Oscar's being asked "who are you wearing?".

Yeah, it was quite lengthy. He goes into a lot of details/subject; it was really the 1st couple of paragraphs that pretty much set up the entirety of the article, regarding quality.

Advertisement

We just need to go back to Nike, not only for perception sake but actual quality.

We just need to go back to Nike, not only for perception sake but actual quality.

I just found it interesting that it’s universally felt that Adidas’ apparel is considered of lower quality. The writer also stated even if Adidas offered more $, it would be in Auburn’s best interest to go to Nike based upon quality, fan gear, and team launch apparel.

I mean if I didn’t know any better, it’s like the guy comes to this thread. Lol. But, man, it’s so sad how many schools UA screwed over. Unbelievable.

I just found it interesting that it’s universally felt that Adidas’ apparel is considered of lower quality. The writer also stated even if Adidas offered more $, it would be in Auburn’s best interest to go to Nike based upon quality, fan gear, and team launch apparel.

I mean if I didn’t know any better, it’s like the guy comes to this thread. Lol. But, man, it’s so sad how many schools UA screwed over. Unbelievable.
Yeah I saw that. Feel like we are in the same boat. Adidas offered us more figure wise but the product is inferior to nike. Almost 2nd tier. Nike’s vapor untouchable template is as elite as it gets when it comes to athletic performance apparel.

Under Armour really really screwed over a lot of schools. I get you can't predict the future but man.
I know Alonzo hinted at Miami returning to Nike at some point. I believe it was the recruit Jack Pyburn who eventually went to UiF, who said Salivea or someone told him Miami is going Jordan brand (I would settle for regular nike myself but whatever).

Yeah I saw that. Feel like we are in the same boat. Adidas offered us more figure wise but the product is inferior to nike. Almost 2nd tier. Nike’s vapor untouchable template is as elite as it gets when it comes to athletic performance apparel.

Under Armour really really screwed over a lot of schools. I get you can't predict the future but man.
I know Alonzo hinted at Miami returning to Nike at some point. I believe it was the recruit Jack Pyburn who eventually went to UiF, who said Salivea or someone told him Miami is going Jordan brand (I would settle for regular nike myself but whatever).

Yeah, it’s either or for, but JB has been the rumor. Miami + JB is much more of a match than UF + JB just b/c of MJ’s history in Miami, & the brand’s collabs w/ Miami’s artist in both the shoe & hip hop industries.

Advertisement

Maryland isn't just the flagship school, it's the alma mater of the company founder. Losing Maryland would be devastating, it would be like Nike losing Oregon...

"Under Armour was founded on September 25, 1996 by Kevin Plank, a then 24-year-old former special teams captain of the University of Maryland football team. Plank initially began the business from his grandmother's basement in Washington, D.C."

Yeah, it’s either or for, but JB has been the rumor. Miami + JB is much more of a match than UF + JB just b/c of MJ’s history in Miami, & the brand’s collabs w/ Miami’s artist in both the shoe & hip hop industries.

@Rellyrell (or @Sgt_Cane if you know), what is the intellectual property relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand? I realize that they are separate companies for branding, but where would things stand on prior issues (Nike's designs from the 1990s through 2015, as well as "the clam" secondary logo and our colorways), as well as current issues (is Vapor technology and gear used across both companies?).

Time to start getting myself prepared. @Rellyrell knows I've been buying Nike almost exclusively now (though I picked up a pair of those Adilette 22s in green, of course).

Advertisement
Not sure if I responded to this post, but I did like it. In this thread, I hit up D$ to provide an explanation of what might’ve taken place in that scenario:

In Nike’s contract, a school has an option to convert apparel allotment into cash allotment. UCLA is struggling right now, financially, due to Covid & UA’s breach of contract. Come next yr, UCLA is going to forgo gear & take the $$. That means replacements & things like that all have to be done in house, b/c they’re substituting supplies for cash. (Part of the reason they’re eager to bounce the Pac-12)

I’m not saying that was the case w/ us, but just knowing who was in charge, it would’ve appeared that way. Truth be told, even though Nike had some horrible, futuristic designs at times, we were always the 1st to receive their latest concepts/tech.

Here’s from 2010, 4 yrs away from not renewing our contract:

And this was from 2014

I believe there’s a lot of things that’s been taken out of context over the yrs. We were Nike’s first, yes, and they treated us as such. To take the time to design new uniforms for a squad takes effort. I’m not talking about adding a plastic shield on a uniform so The U don’t become a V; I’m talking about literally designing from top to bottom, trying to combine history w/ future.

Now, did I personally like some of these concepts?? Hellllll no & u will never see those unis in my repertoire, but the fact is this: Outside of NikeU or UO, no other squad has had more uniforms created for them outside of us. Now, we can debate & say “just keep it simple or traditional” & that’s fine, but that’s not my point; the point is Nike DID care for us & treated us very well, DESPITE how far WE went away from being The U they fell in love w/. That’s like me meeting a hot chick, we vibe, we rock & we get married, then w/in our marriage, she completely stop taking care of herself, refuse to get her chit together, including abandoning our partnership looking to get taken care of w/o helping me grow. Imma love her, but wtf am I supposed to do w/ that?

At the end of the day, Nike still flirts w/ us by re-releasing color ways specifically to our U. They had the same love for UofM, & ironically both UofM & us did the same chit, including thinking the grass was greener w/ the other company.

Speaking of UofM, their players r now getting paid for jerseys w/ their names on them. The authentic jerseys, not some random chit. Lol
Thanks for the like on my post. If what you mentioned about us converting the equipment value to money is true, then that's on how the program was being run, and I get that. Just like you said...look who was in charge, and the mismanagement of the programs that was going on.

However, other than the initial feather uniforms w/the dumbass font, Adidas hasn't really done us wrong. We can debate the all black unis or even the ice unis we wore against Cincy, but our uniforms and equipment now look good and perform pretty **** well. While Nike/Jordan may still be king, Adidas has their own foothold in fashion as well. So it's not like we're wearing something off the shelf from Walmart. And from what I can tell, we've been staying flush with equipment and not had to convert equipment value over to cash, so maybe we learned a lesson there (not gonna give Flake credit there, but we know Radokovich isn't going to do that for sure).

I get wanting to go back to Nike/Jordan as a point of preference for some, but for some (not you Relly) to act as if Adidas has given us a raw deal and hasn't treated us well is just crazy. They started off shaky as I mentioned, but these uniforms for football specifically we have now (and really for all sports) are really good. Adidas has just been used by some as the whipping boy simply because they're not Nike/Jordan, and some dudes can't get past that, which is sad.

@Rellyrell (or @Sgt_Cane if you know), what is the intellectual property relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand? I realize that they are separate companies for branding, but where would things stand on prior issues (Nike's designs from the 1990s through 2015, as well as "the clam" secondary logo and our colorways), as well as current issues (is Vapor technology and gear used across both companies?).

Time to start getting myself prepared. @Rellyrell knows I've been buying Nike almost exclusively now (though I picked up a pair of those Adilette 22s in green, of course).

There’s slight differences to keep the brands separate, but typically it’s w/in the shoes. Like for instance, the Jordan 1’s inspired The Dunks. They **** near look the same, except it’s little details that separate the two in regards to air tech vs. sole tech or lose wings vs. attached wings. In general, they have two different design teams, two different marketing, two different branding ambassadors, one parent company.

B/c of Jordan himself, he has a say so either directly or through trusted folks w/in JB to pick & choose what athlete or team rocks his logo to carry on his legacy. B/c of the select few, quality + availability is more attended to. There was a Cincy Bearcat story about being one of the 1st teams to be JB, & how the players were in heaven w/ the amount of gear, and attention they received, & how that led to better recruiting for the b-ball program (which I think Cincy is having a hindsight 20/20 moment w/ being screwed by UA).

All in all, we’ll get the same tech, but JB tends to be more attentive. My onnnnnnnnnly pause w/ JB is regarding exclusive shoes that’ll come out for us & their availability to fans. Meaning, these robots will flood the market & resell. I’ll beat a kid up for f’ing up my cop on some Jordan 4 Hurricanes! Lol.

Advertisement
Back