New Unis !! (We hope)

Advertisement
Real ?, b/c I’ve been wrecking my brain over this, but why did Sebastian ditch the pipe? Did we get backlash over it or something?

Early 1990s. And while I share the love @SWFLHurricane has for John Routh, John was the one who lobbied for the removal of the pipe from the Sebastian merch.

FML. So we allowing a University mock Native Americans (FSU), took 1000 yrs to make Ole Miss to get rid of a mascot associated w/ slavery, yet the NCAA jumped on us ASAP of an Ibis w/ a pipe? Pipes r often associated w/ tough, seamen. Anyways, thanks, b/c that’s something that’s bothered me for a min.

Not sure if he was joking or not, but it was not the NCAA. Just provided an article.

It wasn't the NCAA it was a Shalala decision as we became a big time cancer research university. I doubt it ever comes back as long as we focus on that part of the school and use athletics logos for the hospital arm.

And it wasn't Shalala. It happened in the early 1990s, ten years before she took over.

But, hey, never let facts and truth get in the way of a good "Shalala sucks" story...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Early 1990s. And while I share the love @SWFLHurricane has for John Routh, John was the one who lobbied for the removal of the pipe from the Sebastian merch.

I LOVE John to death...a very close friend works with him at Hecht/Tom Kearns HOF.....I've known John many yrs....but what @TheOriginalCane said is 100% true....Will I still love John...Absolutely, just for setting the Boomer Schooner on Fire, and getting a Fire Extinguisher from a local HS...when we weren't supposed to use smoke that game.

And just for the humor of it, some UM students recently proposed giving Sebastian a vape pen where he used to have a pipe...

H-O-L-Y Chit! John pushed this??! Oh Wowzers!!

Advertisement
H-O-L-Y Chit! John pushed this??! Oh Wowzers!!

It's one of those bizarre things. I love John Routh and I know he loves UM. I truly think that he truly thought it was a good idea. I know he loves the impact that mascots have on kids, and if you remember the 1990s, there was a huge push to get smoking taken out of popular culture things like movies and TV shows.

It's only in retrospect that the fans go nuts, as it is very clear when you look at old pictures, whether we have "old Sebastian" gear or "new Sebastian" gear. Then it gets complicated by the Nike issues and the "modern" Sebastians (both the ibis wearing the classic 2001-style jersey, as well as the hated "clam").

****, I might have been OK if we had just gone with a toothpick. Or smoke coming out of his ears. But a corncob pipe should never have been taken seriously by kids. Doesn't Frosty the Snowman have one, and he's a beloved Christmas institution? And Popeye the Sailor Man? He can smoke a corncob pipe AND down an entire can of spinach at the same time.

At some point, I'd love to find out from @SWFLHurricane if John has had any second thoughts on the corncob pipe removal and/or if it makes a difference that some animated characters continue to use the corncob pipe.

It's one of those bizarre things. I love John Routh and I know he loves UM. I truly think that he truly thought it was a good idea. I know he loves the impact that mascots have on kids, and if you remember the 1990s, there was a huge push to get smoking taken out of popular culture things like movies and TV shows.

It's only in retrospect that the fans go nuts, as it is very clear when you look at old pictures, whether we have "old Sebastian" gear or "new Sebastian" gear. Then it gets complicated by the Nike issues and the "modern" Sebastians (both the ibis wearing the classic 2001-style jersey, as well as the hated "clam").

****, I might have been OK if we had just gone with a toothpick. Or smoke coming out of his ears. But a corncob pipe should never have been taken seriously by kids. Doesn't Frosty the Snowman have one, and he's a beloved Christmas institution? And Popeye the Sailor Man? He can smoke a corncob pipe AND down an entire can of spinach at the same time.

At some point, I'd love to find out from @SWFLHurricane if John has had any second thoughts on the corncob pipe removal and/or if it makes a difference that some animated characters continue to use the corncob pipe.
I've never discussed it with him. I was talking with him at the Titanic 3 weeks ago at Ron Frasers daughter's Mini B-Day Party. My buddy Victor (who's on the HOF Committee) works pretty much side by side with him. Not to change the subject, @TheOriginalCane ...Longtime UM Baseball Usher "Hap" died this past week....Loved that guy....

Advertisement
I've never discussed it with him. I was talking with him at the Titanic 3 weeks ago at Ron Frasers daughter's Mini B-Day Party. My buddy Victor (who's on the HOF Committee) works pretty much side by side with him. Not to change the subject, @TheOriginalCane ...Longtime UM Baseball Usher "Hap" died this past week....Loved that guy....

Sad to hear about "Hap". I had heard the name before from a few people (and you know that my former roommate has a Mark Light milkshake named after him), but I usually sat in the student section (and it goes without saying that we had no ushers).

When I was at the UM-UCF baseball game a couple of weeks ago, I started thinking about that one dude who sold concessions in the stands, he had that really slow and loud delivery. "HOT dogs...POPcorn...Boooottled watah..." (and "hot chawcolate" for the cold games). Not sure if anyone else remembers that guy and/or his name.

1648498000510.png

Sad to hear about "Hap". I had heard the name before from a few people (and you know that my former roommate has a Mark Light milkshake named after him), but I usually sat in the student section (and it goes without saying that we had no ushers).

When I was at the UM-UCF baseball game a couple of weeks ago, I started thinking about that one dude who sold concessions in the stands, he had that really slow and loud delivery. "HOT dogs...POPcorn...Boooottled watah..." (and "hot chawcolate" for the cold games). Not sure if anyone else remembers that guy and/or his name.

View attachment 180452
Yeah...my buddy told me Hap had passed....F around and try to get a better seat than what you paid for if you want....Lol....An absolute Mark Light Stadium treasure.....

View attachment 180452
You were roommates with Grandma Debbie? Impressive.

Advertisement

U literally took my two examples out of my head: Frosty The Snowman & Popeyes. It’s not like Sebastian had a cigar or cig in his mouth.

I digress; would love for the pipe to come back, but doubt it would.

Advertisement
Back