New Transfer QB: Garret Shrader

RangerGranger

Gnome Sayin'?
If we have a spot to fill, this guy would at least fit out system.

"It ends a promising career in Starkville for Shrader who showed the ability to command an offense as a freshman under Joe Moorhead. Shrader was one of the first offers for Moorhead when he took the Bulldog job in 2017 and it was apparent that the North Carolina native was going to be Moorhead’s quarterback of the class and of the future.

At Charlotte Christian School, Shrader became a four-star prospect and the No. 11 player in the state by 247Sports. He threw for 6,818 yards in his career, completing 66% of his passes and 75 touchdowns he added 2,205 yards on the ground and 32 more scores so 9,023 yards of total offense and 107 touchdowns in his career.

The future was bright for Shrader but he was showcased much faster than expected. With starting quarterback Tommy Stevens injured in the middle of the Southern Miss game last season in the second game of the year, Shrader came in and was 7-for-11 for 71 yards.

He made his first-career start two weeks later against Kentucky and was 17-of-22 for 180 yards and 11 carries for 125 earning SEC Freshman of the Week honors. With Stevens’ off and on injury status, Shrader would play in 10 games last year going 88-for-153 for 1,170 passing yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions and 113 carries for 587 yards and six scores."

- https://247sports.com/college/missi...ll-Garrett-Shrader-transfer-portal-153311633/

Advertisement
No, but at 6'-4" and 215 pounds, do you think he would have any problem seeing over the offensive line?
I think he’d be good but not great here. I think TVD has the requisite athleticism to keep the defense honest and if all coaching and sauce accounts are true he’s gonna be a good player. If we bring this kid in he may ditch. Now if the coaches don’t think he’s ready then sure get this kid in here

Advertisement
I think with the scholarship rules up in the air with this extra year it’s tough to take chances on guys like this. I would bet the canes are out of initial counters today as well but someone else here likely knows better.

I do like the idea of getting a dual threat guy with some experience who once he has gone through some offseason training could be 6’4 220-230 dual threat and at worst have a package of plays. A big bodied dual threat has value on any roster.

Advertisement
What if tvd gets hurt kosi grad transfers and king declares? You will be starting Peyton Matocha with 0 reps against Bama. That’s why. You need depth and guys to push each other.
I didn't ask why we need another quarterback. I asked why it's always the portal.

Would much rather recruit a darn good QB out of high school than another one from portal. Need to have one that may play a few years. Also what does lt say about your recruiting if you have to sign one out of portal every year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Do other teams fans write off redshirt freshman as quickly as we do? Of course TVD can’t actually be good, it’s that Matocha just sucks. I can’t wait until we are writing players off before they actually get on campus. Oh wait, y’all already ignorantly tried to do that with Flagg.

Advertisement
Back