New Taggart Rumor

Advertisement

All's fair in love and war. College football is big business. There is no easy way to say 'goodbye'—and for players to rip a coach for leaving last minute, when said players will flip on national signing day (burning a school that recruited them for years, planned on their arrival, didn't recruit other players at the position, et al) or kids that will bail early to go pro, when a program was reliant upon them the next year ... it goes both ways.

Had Taggart not done a good job, Oregon would've had zero issue firing his *** and sending him packing just before Christmas. Instead, dude is from Bradenton, was offered a gig at Florida State (after coaching at South Florida for a few years) and is back in his home state.

Sounds like sour grapes from some 17-year olds who are too green to know how the game works.

Taggart had to play his hand wisely; as would any coach in that situation. Things could've fallen apart with Florida State at the last minute—so if he announces that he's going and then is stuck in Eugene, then what? Awkward.

Again, there is no "right" way to do this. People need to grow thicker skin. College Football is high-stakes poker and then some.

Do these things ever end well? If you're non-committal this time of the year ala Jimbo, then end up staying this time of the year,... they hate you for that too. Their coach just left for another Power 5 conference program,...of course they're upset.

All's fair in love and war. College football is big business. There is no easy way to say 'goodbye'—and for players to rip a coach for leaving last minute, when said players will flip on national signing day (burning a school that recruited them for years, planned on their arrival, didn't recruit other players at the position, et al) or kids that will bail early to go pro, when a program was reliant upon them the next year ... it goes both ways.

Had Taggart not done a good job, Oregon would've had zero issue firing his *** and sending him packing just before Christmas. Instead, dude is from Bradenton, was offered a gig at Florida State (after coaching at South Florida for a few years) and is back in his home state.

Sounds like sour grapes from some 17-year olds who are too green to know how the game works.

Taggart had to play his hand wisely; as would any coach in that situation. Things could've fallen apart with Florida State at the last minute—so if he announces that he's going and then is stuck in Eugene, then what? Awkward.

Again, there is no "right" way to do this. People need to grow thicker skin. College Football is high-stakes poker and then some.

You sound ridiculous. Really, saying 17 year old kids need to “grow a thicker skin” after Taggart lies to their faces?

And yeah, there is a right way to do it. Do you see UCF players tweeting about how Scott Frost lied to them? No, because he had actually told most of the seniors he was thinking about leaving and told most people around the program that he had a Nebraska offer.

Taggart also tweeted out days before he was leaving about how he couldn’t wait to continue recruiting, etc., as rumors were flying that he was leaving. Do you know any other coaches who do that? He’s done that at his last three jobs.

The guy is a liar but instead of just playing coy like most other coaches do he goes out of his way to lie to people. Bizarre really.

That lyn’ sack of **** is gonna do the same thing with his recruits at Falling **** U,

Advertisement
Remember Fat Al going silent for a week during the Pedo State HC search? Hindsight is always 20/20 and Oregon may have lucked out by FSU pulling the trigger...Miami probably would have benefitted had Pedo State grabbed Mr. Pillars.

BTW, I heard a lot of "Oregon upped taggerts pay, committed more money to the program, etc, no way he's leaving" narrative last week on boards and such.

Seemed like he jumped ship the second he had a chance. Was FSU's offer that much more? (I know not)

Advertisement
Remember Fat Al going silent for a week during the Pedo State HC search? Hindsight is always 20/20 and Oregon may have lucked out by FSU pulling the trigger...Miami probably would have benefitted had Pedo State grabbed Mr. Pillars.

LOL. Some booster tried to push Folden into the job. At no time did he have any chance. By then, NOBODY on EARTH would hire him as HC unless they wanted to be fired and run out of town.

It makes sense if you've been to Eugene recently, as I have, and spoken to some locals. They think the facilities and money alone have earned supreme status, and that every one of their athletic programs should be viewed accordingly nationwide. Tonight I visited an Oregon message board. They were alternately calling Taggart the most reviled coach in school history, and asking if Oregon can successfully sue him.

I have to say the facilities were stunning. And that doesn't even include the planned major renovation to the Hayward Field track and field venue. I'm surprised the recruiting hasn't been better prior to this year.

It makes sense if you've been to Eugene recently, as I have, and spoken to some locals. They think the facilities and money alone have earned supreme status, and that every one of their athletic programs should be viewed accordingly nationwide. Tonight I visited an Oregon message board. They were alternately calling Taggart the most reviled coach in school history, and asking if Oregon can successfully sue him.

I have to say the facilities were stunning. And that doesn't even include the planned major renovation to the Hayward Field track and field venue. I'm surprised the recruiting hasn't been better prior to this year.
It is always rainy, cold, and cloudy up there. Perhaps that's a major factor, because your right, the facilities are beautiful, and of course you got all of those Nike custom unis rolling in each year.

Advertisement

While some valid points are made, you dont have to lie. there is a way to sell the kid on a school and not lie to their ******* face.

What this shows is that Taggert is a "me" guy. regardless how valid the reason " i.e., going back home, etc", if you jump at the next best thing for you then you not really in it for anyone but you. loyalty is a factor.

You're surprised incredible facilities haven't made Oregon more attractive? I mean, it's not like they're going there to play for someone proven to give a player a great chance at being a millionaire.

Advertisement
If you don't think this will be used against him on the recruiting trail, then you are naive. All will be forgotten in time if he is successful. He can play the dream job but he just screwed over Oregon like Kiffin did Tennessee. It would be one thing if he had a resume as a proven commodity, but right now he just looks like a coach who cannot be trust. I hope our staff runs with this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back