New Stadium At The Port

Lauderdale

Redshirt Freshman
The proposed Beckham Group stadium at The Port could be the U's last opportunity in the foreseeable future to move closer to campus. The 25,000 seat proposal is just too small it has too have at least 40,000 seats, some luxury loges and club seats.

I would hope University of Miami fans, employees and alumni convince the politicians in Dade County and the City of Miami that they must insist on this if there is to be a stadium at The Port. We were essentially thrown out of the Orange Bowl so a $2 billion dollar baseball only stadium could be built at taxpayer expense. Now what could be the most expensive piece of real estate in Miami is being proposed to be given to a private company without bidding.

The proposed stadium has to be a little larger to accommodate football, perhaps an annual NCAA bowl game, concerts and other special uses. A small 25,000 seat stadium is just too small and a soccer only stadium is very questionable given the true value of the land.

Advertisement
I for one would like to see us part of the Beckham deal...

Even for just one game (like Thurs. night)...

194.gif

Advertisement
i heard our fine mayor saying this morning that the port was a very viable location and that all of the apparent negatives are red herrings. not sure if he was posturing, but there was no doubt in his remarks that it is a favored and viable location.

one other point, there is master plan that was developed for that part of the port to build condos and an office park. it has never been intended for actual port use because it is very shallow.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back