New OL on radar

Advertisement
Agreed with @HighSeas, this kid is a bargain-bin Denis.
As far as him looking "slow," here's what I could find on him:

Verified Results
From @Lance Roffers 's College Football's Legs Race (Part I):

OG- (Ross Pierschbacher, Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller, Sean Welsh, Saahdiq Charles)

View attachment 77490
Another position group where the testing markers match up very well with what you would expect of what asked of them on a football field. The G group is asked to go up against the biggest and strongest defensive players, so it is no surprise that the Powerball event matches up so well with excellent performance at the P5-level. Again, most All-Conference OL are not sloppy coming out of HS as the average weight of this group was 288 coming out of HS.

He's just outside of the All-Conference numbers in most categories. No verified PB, but his (largely exaggerated) HUDL claims he scored a 44', and even if he's fibbing a little (he definitely is... HUDL also claims he is 6'3" and ran the 40 about .5 seconds faster than he did at The Opening) I bet he's still over 35' since he looks plenty strong on film.

At this point, why not.

Advertisement
What Olineman looks fast?

Is that really a question?

Slow.....within the context of olinemen - there’s guys with good feet and movement skills and those without. The little tape I just watched looked like a kid without good movement skills, slow footed, which is probably why Barry didn’t like him bc he preferred lighter guys with better movement. The video is small on my phone and tough to see. I’ll watch in the monitor later when I’m home.

So while he looks quick at times out of his stance, he looks sluggish in space and pulling and he blocks with a very narrow base. He’s overpowering less talented and smaller guys in the video but I could see better players beating him bc of his technique and balance.

Well this kid is definitely a take over Jonviers but that’s not saying much.

Wouldn’t hurt to bring him for a visit.

I say pass and use the 2 remaining 2020 class spots for grad transfers, then focus on finding quality 2021 oline players.

Go Canes
Yeah bring in 2 vets and croot your a$$ off in the class of 2021 and hopefully we have an very serviceable oline lol

Advertisement
Southaven (Mississippi) DeSoto Central OG
Kenyon McCou 6'3 315 obs projects as guard. Getting interest from Cal, Va Tech and UConn.

Unranked, sent his film to Butch Barry but didn't hear back. Sent it again to Justice and was contacted immediately.

Canes fan since he was young. Mentions all the greats as his idols, in particular Ray Lewis.

One to watch and see what the staff does here...

What was Justice reply?

Is that really a question?

Slow.....within the context of olinemen - there’s guys with good feet and movement skills and those without. The little tape I just watched looked like a kid without good movement skills, slow footed, which is probably why Barry didn’t like him bc he preferred lighter guys with better movement. The video is small on my phone and tough to see. I’ll watch in the monitor later when I’m home.

So while he looks quick at times out of his stance, he looks sluggish in space and pulling and he blocks with a very narrow base. He’s overpowering less talented and smaller guys in the video but I could see better players beating him bc of his technique and balance.

Yeah...you're gonna have to go back and watch it proper cause you're off. Not way off, just ordinary off.

Most of the highlights are him leading the way on power plays with efficient footwork, good hand/hat placement and he generates a lot of torque through his upper body. So he's very functional at executing blocks that require a degree of movement. When he pulls outside you can see his head scanning for defenders which shows how he's cerebral and tough as opposed to dumb, lazy and soft like most Miami linemen.

There are also several highlights of him blocking on the 2nd level on zone plays. He's patient and confident with his assignments and he takes quick choppy steps to stay on balance prior to and through contact.

Is he fast? No but straight-line speed is irrelevant for interior linemen and his movement is highly functional imo. My concerns are that his lower body is underdeveloped and he doesn't have much of a pass set. The criticism of his base is valid as well but he doesn't lean and overextend very often. Most of the time he's synchronized with his feet and hands.

So you give him a year in the weight program and you play him in a spread scheme with quick, defined pass reads and a tempo run game where his run blocking skills and nastiness are a huge asset.

Or you can just go by the stars and offer list and look for reasons not to like the prospect. 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry but Miami needs TACKLES.. MIAMI has like 11 returning OL guys, maybe 2 are Tackles... And that's not trying to be funny, on a serious note!!

LOL at Barry not responding
I've seen this happen before with kids whose names we've sent in. About twenty years ago we sent the name of an Illinois QB to staff. They asked for film right away than decided after looking at it he was not quality we wanted. I had not seen his film but relied on recommendations. Kid ended up a safety at a MAC school.

Other kids the staff hasn't responded. You never know. Maybe Barry evaluated differently, maybe he got too busy with other stuff at the moment, he might have been swamped with work chasing other kids he already evaluated. So, our new coach may have more time and had a clean slate since he's starting from scratch.

The two coaches are really evaluating for two very different offenses. Just trying to be fair.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back