new OC, timing, learning new playbook

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
are we making too big a deal of this? I think Mario knows what type of system he wants, is certainly recruiting the maulers up front for a more physical style of play, etc. Does the new OC basically take the old Gattis playbook and verbage to ease the players into a newer system eventually? And by newer system, I don't mean air raid or anything like that. It could mean just tweaking some plays, adding some others, but basically keeping it similar. So the onus would be on the new OC to adapt to what the players already are familiar with, use the same terminology, but just start tweaking, and of course calling plays that have a better flow with what's going on.

I think the main knock I had on Gattis was his complete lack of feel for the game and the questionable play calling. But I think in better hands the offense he was trying to implement could be effective. The Michigan style offense is a playoff type of offense, at least the past couple of years. Certainly could work here with the right players that Mario seems to be recruiting.

Advertisement
Players aren't really missing anything yet. If they had the same playbook that carried over from the previous year they could be in it fine tuning. A new coordinator doesn't get much time to install until spring practice as they're pretty exclusively in class and weight room right now. Not much football is being talked about in February and little to no face time with position coaches and coordinators.

What is being missed right now is the staff working to get on the same page. Putting together your line calls and blocking technique to match the playbook and scheme to the OL, RB coaches learning how they want their running lanes coached and how the scheme designs it, WR coach learning route concepts and nuances, etc.

That is less of an issue if you bring in guys familiar with each other or if the system is a match to the concepts you already teach. Mario and Mirabal have their way of doing things on the OL that they don't make exception for the scheme.. the scheme makes an exception for them or it isn't a fit. Even Daboll made minor tweaks to his system at Alabama to fit the way they coach OL and still uses it to this day in the NFL. So not portraying that as a bad thing..

Players aren't really missing anything yet. If they had the same playbook that carried over from the previous year they could be in it fine tuning. A new coordinator doesn't get much time to install until spring practice as they're pretty exclusively in class and weight room right now. Not much football is being talked about in February and little to no face time with position coaches and coordinators.

What is being missed right now is the staff working to get on the same page. Putting together your line calls and blocking technique to match the playbook and scheme to the OL, RB coaches learning how they want their running lanes coached and how the scheme designs it, WR coach learning route concepts and nuances, etc.

That is less of an issue if you bring in guys familiar with each other or if the system is a match to the concepts you already teach. Mario and Mirabal have their way of doing things on the OL that they don't make exception for the scheme.. the scheme makes an exception for them or it isn't a fit. Even Daboll made minor tweaks to his system at Alabama to fit the way they coach OL and still uses it to this day in the NFL. So not portraying that as a bad thing..

this is helpful. I got the sense that we needed to have someone by a certain time or else couldn't have a fruitful Spring practice or something along those lines. I guess the main key is the staff gelling before anything else.

Advertisement
Football is about knowing what play to call (art and preparation) and beating the man in front of you (physicality and preparation). If it's complex and takes a long time, you're doing it wrong and Mario made the wrong hire anyway.

are we making too big a deal of this? I think Mario knows what type of system he wants, is certainly recruiting the maulers up front for a more physical style of play, etc. Does the new OC basically take the old Gattis playbook and verbage to ease the players into a newer system eventually? And by newer system, I don't mean air raid or anything like that. It could mean just tweaking some plays, adding some others, but basically keeping it similar. So the onus would be on the new OC to adapt to what the players already are familiar with, use the same terminology, but just start tweaking, and of course calling plays that have a better flow with what's going on.

I think the main knock I had on Gattis was his complete lack of feel for the game and the questionable play calling. But I think in better hands the offense he was trying to implement could be effective. The Michigan style offense is a playoff type of offense, at least the past couple of years. Certainly could work here with the right players that Mario seems to be recruiting.
Relax. All that matters is that Mario gets it right. Both guys will be in place to start spring ball. If the new OC is an NFL guy from a playoff team that would explain the delay.

Advertisement
Relax. All that matters is that Mario gets it right. Both guys will be in place to start spring ball. If the new OC is an NFL guy from a playoff team that would explain the delay.

I am asking if we are making too big a deal of this. Does that sound over reactive to you?

Exactly right.
The OL still has zone steps, pulls, 3-5-7 drops, the receivers still have similar routes, the running back still has their footwork, and QB has the the same throwing mechanics and foot work.
It's more or less just the verbage (this might not even be a big deal if Mario had his own verbage and it carries on) and the OC getting a feel for the players and knowing what to call and who to rely on.

This is why we need a oc who runs a simple playbook. Throw some wrinkles in for aTm, fsu and Clemson but otherwise just let them line up and play. Our ol with the talent infusion should have no problems going head to head with any team on schedule outside Clemson IMO

Oc has to involve Tvd in the scheme and play to his strengths. If Tvd plays even close to as well as he performed in 21 with a mediocre or above d then 8 wins should be the floor imo

This is why we need a oc who runs a simple playbook. Throw some wrinkles in for aTm, fsu and Clemson but otherwise just let them line up and play. Our ol with the talent infusion should have no problems going head to head with any team on schedule outside Clemson IMO

Oc has to involve Tvd in the scheme and play to his strengths. If Tvd plays even close to as well as he performed in 21 with a mediocre or above d then 8 wins should be the floor imo
After your idiomatic post, saying TVD should be helping to decide the OC, I just came here to coronate you as “da penga”

Advertisement
I am asking if we are making too big a deal of this. Does that sound over reactive to you?

I think that the answer is it depends. It would be a big deal the delay is because Mario is flailing to find his replacement. But if this is because the NFL is driving a dominoes game of OC hires, then it's entirely rationale and defensible.

If the new OC just cuts the 25-30 seconds of staring at the sidelines every play so the offense can get some kind of a rhythm that alone will be a great Improvement…

After your idiomatic post, saying TVD should be helping to decide the OC, I just came here to coronate you as “da penga”
It’s not idiotic.

Mario hired a offensive Doritos and all you girls are triggered by Shannon hire. This is a leader and a qb not the whole team but yea let’s Mario make oc hire with a smaller group of opinions than the Gattis hire

🤦‍♂️

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back