New NCAA rule allowing players to sign early

Hstokes1447

Junior
LSU becomes the first school the take advantage of the new rule to allow kids who will be EE's to sign with the school of their choice, any time after Aug 1st of their SR year. This is going to really change the game. I would love to see Miami take full advantage of this rule and get all of the potential EE's locked up now.

The biggest advantage of this new rule is after a kid signs Miami will no longer be limited by NCAA regulations that restrict in-person contact, phone calls, and home visits with that player.

Excerpt from the ESPN article
LSU signed quarterback Brandon Harris of Bossier City (La.) Parkway on Thursday to a financial-aid agreement, one of the first recruits nationally known to have used an NCAA rule interpretation issued last month that allows early-enrolling players to secure their scholarships months ahead of signing day.

Harris, No. 58 in the ESPN 300 and the third-ranked dual-threat QB in the class of 2014, announced the moment on Twitter, saying he was excited to sign a letter of intent with the Tigers.

Full article
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/9941992/lsu-signs-qb-brandon-harris-new-financial-aid-agreement

Advertisement
Great thing for the kids, not so much coaches. All recruits should sign a financial aid agreement if the school sends them one. Probably only the elite recruits will be able to do it. It makes the school honor the scholarship but if the kid changes his mind, he doesn't have to go to that school and doesn't suffer the penalty of having to sit out or the school deciding to not release him from his scholarship.

Great thing for the kids, not so much coaches. All recruits should sign a financial aid agreement if the school sends them one. Probably only the elite recruits will be able to do it. It makes the school honor the scholarship but if the kid changes his mind, he doesn't have to go to that school and doesn't suffer the penalty of having to sit out or the school deciding to not release him from his scholarship.

This.

It's a step in the right direction, but it's non-binding.

That said, I think putting something down on paper makes it psychologically more difficult to "look around" and things like that. Don't sign your name to the financial aid packet if you're not all in.

Tests the kid's level of actual commitment as well.

Want to be a Hurricane? Sign this......

Advertisement
Dont see how this benefits Miami. Nothing like bringing in a kid committed elsewhere on a visit to Miami in January. All of a sudden, a school like Ohio State or Wisconsin doesnt seem so appealing.

Advertisement
These are non-binding correct?? Seems more like a tool for coaches to guage loyalty

In terms of the recruit it is not binding, for the school it is binding. I agree to the second part.

In the sense, that the school cannot rescind the offer?

From the article in the OP

LSU, after receiving Harris' paperwork, is now obligated to honor his scholarship, unlike the scenario for a traditional recruit who offers a non-binding verbal commitment; however, Harris is not tied to the Tigers. He could enroll elsewhere or sign a binding letter of intent with a different school in February.

These are non-binding correct?? Seems more like a tool for coaches to guage loyalty

In terms of the recruit it is not binding, for the school it is binding. I agree to the second part.

LSU, after receiving Harris' paperwork, is now obligated to honor his scholarship, unlike the scenario for a traditional recruit who offers a non-binding verbal commitment; however, Harris is not tied to the Tigers. He could enroll elsewhere or sign a binding letter of intent with a different school in February.

Ah ha, understood. I should have read closer; thanks for explanation.

Advertisement

No worries big man. This is new stuff and I think it is a good start to fixing things with recruiting.

No worries big man. This is new stuff and I think it is a good start to fixing things with recruiting.

IMO, this is awful for recruiting. I really dont see who this benefits besides the superstar who has his picks of schools anyway (up until signing day). No marginal player is going to be offered this option. Why would a school lock themselves into a Plan B guy if he can still walk away? It's going to be big name players locking schools up and then possibly walk away on signing day. Might as well lock both player and school up-- that way everyone benefits and schools might be more willing to offer an underrated guy if they know they have him locked up and can use their efforts on other recruits.

IMO, this is awful for recruiting. I really dont see who this benefits besides the superstar who has his picks of schools anyway (up until signing day). No marginal player is going to be offered this option. Why would a school lock themselves into a Plan B guy if he can still walk away? It's going to be big name players locking schools up and then possibly walk away on signing day. Might as well lock both player and school up-- that way everyone benefits and schools might be more willing to offer an underrated guy if they know they have him locked up and can use their efforts on other recruits.

It is a start to get things in the right direction.

Also a school doesn't have to issue this to a recruit so they can control who actually gets them.

Advertisement

It is a start to get things in the right direction.

Also a school doesn't have to issue this to a recruit so they can control who actually gets them.

Schools will be pressured into issuing these -- "you gave me a scholarship offer but will not let me sign this? School X says i can sign it with them."

Advertisement
Back