New Miami QB offeree Garbers speaks on his interest in UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With prior offers from only Oregon State and San Jose State, 2020 Corona Del Mar (CA) 3-star QB Ethan Garbers has flown a bit under the radar when compared to other highly-rated QB prospects in his class. However, his recruitment just got a little more interesting today, as Garbers received a Miami offer from Jon Richt this morning after the QB coach visited his high school.

“Coach Jon Richt came to my school this morning and extended the offer after we talked,” Garbers said. “I felt great and I’m just thankful that the University of Miami believes in my abilities.”

In preparation for missing on a QB in 2019, Miami has been evaluating a host of 2020 QB’s in recent weeks, and it was Garbers that was first up to land an offer. The relationship with Garbers is also brand-new, as the Canes just began contact only 2 days ago.

“I started talking to [Jon Richt] on Sunday, then he let me know he was coming out to see me,” Garbers said. “He said with them having to virtually no 2019 guy, it would be a great opportunity for me to play as a freshman.”

Now with the offer in hand, Garbers says he will attempt to plan a UM visit.

“I have a decent amount of interest in Miami and I want to try and get out there, but I don’t know when,” Garbers said.

Something that draws Garbers to the Canes is how Mark Richt uses his QB’s. Garbers has actually been following Richt’s career for a while now, even back when the head coach was at Georgia.

“The opportunity to play as a freshman is intriguing and also being a Georgia fan growing up, I always liked coach Richt and his style,” Garbers said.

At 6-3, 190 pounds, Garbers is coming off a monster junior season for Corona Del Mar in California, throwing for 4,137 yards on a 67% completion percentage and tossing 55 TD's to only 8 INT's. West Coast Power 5 schools such as Washington, Washington State, Utah, Oklahoma State, Cal, and UCLA have also begun to take interest with the circulation of his junior film, but have not yet offered.

“I felt great about my junior year and I’m ready to get back to work and get better for next year,” Garbers said.

As his recruitment is still in the early stages, Garbers is in no rush to make a decision, and is in the process of determining the criteria for which he will evaluate potential suitors.

“I have no idea of a decision or what I’m looking for in a school yet, just going to play everything out,” Garbers said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Aim small, miss small I guess. Is Garbers Jon's one and only for 2020? Or are we also counting his cousin to get to two?

With prior offers from only Oregon State and San Jose State, 2020 Corona Del Mar (CA) 3-star QB Ethan Garbers has flown a bit under the radar when compared to other highly-rated QB prospects in his class. However, his recruitment just got a little more interesting today, as Garbers received a Miami offer from Jon Richt this morning after the QB coach visited his high school.

“Coach Jon Richt came to my school this morning and extended the offer after we talked,” Garbers said. “I felt great and I’m just thankful that the University of Miami believes in my abilities.”

In preparation for missing on a QB in 2019, Miami has been evaluating a host of 2020 QB’s in recent weeks, and it was Garbers that was first up to land an offer. The relationship with Garbers is also brand-new, as the Canes just began contact only 2 days ago.

“I started talking to [Jon Richt] on Sunday, then he let me know he was coming out to see me,” Garbers said. “He said with them having to virtually no 2019 guy, it would be a great opportunity for me to play as a freshman.”

Now with the offer in hand, Garbers says he will attempt to plan a UM visit.

“I have a decent amount of interest in Miami and I want to try and get out there, but I don’t know when,” Garbers said.

Something that draws Garbers to the Canes is how Mark Richt uses his QB’s. Garbers has actually been following Richt’s career for a while now, even back when the head coach was at Georgia.

“The opportunity to play as a freshman is intriguing and also being a Georgia fan growing up, I always liked coach Richt and his style,” Garbers said.

At 6-3, 190 pounds, Garbers is coming off a monster junior season for Corona Del Mar in California, throwing for 4,137 yards on a 67% completion percentage and tossing 55 TD's to only 8 INT's. West Coast Power 5 schools such as Washington, Washington State, Utah, Oklahoma State, Cal, and UCLA have also begun to take interest with the circulation of his junior film, but have not yet offered.

“I felt great about my junior year and I’m ready to get back to work and get better for next year,” Garbers said.

As his recruitment is still in the early stages, Garbers is in no rush to make a decision, and is in the process of determining the criteria for which he will evaluate potential suitors.

“I have no idea of a decision or what I’m looking for in a school yet, just going to play everything out,” Garbers said.

Wow!!! sounds like the kid is just dying to commit!

Fu*k me.

next!

Advertisement
“I have a decent amount of interest in Miami,” Garbers said.

Hilarious to see such unbridled enthusiasm from this kid upon hearing from Jon Richt. At least he's honest.

I just did an eval on him last month. He's a good QB. He has some really good talent around him, so that helps (2 targets over the 6-4 range). His offer sheet will get much bigger in the spring/summer period.

As a fan my only concern is, does he fit the offense that the fans want to run.

"At 6-3, 190 pounds, Garbers is coming off a monster junior season for Corona Del Mar in California, throwing for 4,137 yards on a 67% completion percentage and tossing 55 TD's to only 8 INT's. West Coast Power 5 schools such as Washington, Washington State, Utah, Oklahoma State, Cal, and UCLA have also begun to take interest with the circulation of his junior film, but have not yet offered."

Want. He may not be ready to play as a freshman, even based on his potential of playing as a freshman, which isn't happening at Miami and with Richt. But those stats show at least he makes good decisions with the ball and his film isn't bad. The type of kid you should be able to sit and develop for a couple of years.

Advertisement
First time I’ve seen his film. Has all the tools, nice height, pocket presence, knows when to climb the pocket, clean mechanics.
Only down thing I see in his film is I don’t see the big time arm strength. Maybe that’s why he’s a 3 star with the huge numbers he’s put up.
Loooks similar to Luke Falk. A player Leach had at Wash st.

This would be a great offer if it was a 2019 guy who Jon discovered late to try an salvage his failures getting a QB this year.

Advertisement
Welcome to the Jon Richt QB coaching era, by the end of 2022 we will be running the wilcat full time because we ain’t going to have a qb on the roster

Advertisement
Back