New Miami Adidas Ultraboost🔥

I hear you, my friend. I'm definitely not trying to knock the fans of the band. Everyone likes what they like.

But man...I've tried...if I told you the number of times I've heard "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones" and "Box of Rain" and "Friend of the Devil" and "Sugar Magnolia" and "Truckin"...****, I can probably quote you lyrics (and many of the lyrics are very poetic, I'd never deny the talent and the inspiration of the 1960s on so many singer-songwriters). I grew up in the 1970s when all the white kids on my schoolbus outvoted the black kids and the busdriver had to play the album rock station, so I've heard quite a few Grateful Dead songs.

And I had numerous friends at UM who were Deadheads ("In the Dark" came out in the summer after my freshman year). I assure you, my dislike of the music is not based on a bias, I've listened, I've tried to like it. My jokes about "sellout hippies" are more a product of what I've observed from the 1990s and beyond, I just think it's comical, but that's separate from me not liking the music.

Finally, my comment on the long jam songs is my feeling on every band's music. I love the Allman Brothers, but I'm not a fan of an album-side-length "Mountain Jam" (though I MIGHT make an exception for "Whipping Post", which is a stunningly great song). I was not a fan of the 27 minute version of "Dazed and Confused", though Zeppelin is one of my favorite all-time bands and I love the studio version of the song. I could MAYBE live with Skynyrd turning a 9 minute studio "Freebird" into a 14 minute concert version. I love Rush. I love Genesis. I love Yes. But I'm otherwise not a fan of turning a 3 minute song into a 30 minute song.

That's all. Much respect to all the Deadheads, I would never question your enjoyment, I would never question your fandom. I'd love to join the club, it looks like a helluva good time. But the music doesn't move me, though I've given it every chance to do so.
Totally get it... if you went to that side of the catalog and reached the same conclusion, you dug in, you explored, and it's not your cup of tea. My dad is the same way... though used more floral terms to give his thoughts. He saw The Who a bunch, Floyd, Petty, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, and down the list. Absolutely could not get into the Dead.

Advertisement
336477404_175463225248197_2375550438566834245_n.jpg

I can get some cool shoes from my alma mater.

I'll be honest... I put American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on the record player ALL THE TIME. As much as Europe 72. Probably because the songs on them lend themselves to the Dead's version of being great for the studio and those songs are not the big jam vehicles anyways.

See, and here's what is interesting. I've heard those two albums the most, and they had some concise songs. I think that ONE song on those two albums broke the six minute mark (barely). And if you put a gun to my head, those are the two albums I actually WOULD play, those songs are well-constructed and say some interesting things, even if they aren't my favorite songs.

It's nice to discuss this with you, as opposed to some jackhole who keeps overusing the word "ignorant" to be critical of those who don't share his or her particular opinion. And there are certainly ways to capture the "live" feeling on a "studio" album, as the Dead proved in 1987.

To give another example, I've purchased a couple dozen live Springsteen CDs, now that he has been releasing stuff from the Archives. I try to get shows from different tours, and I end up hearing a lot of them played on his Sirius channel (especially when driving between ATL and ORL). But the Springsteen "long songs" in concert are basically the "long songs" from the albums. Rosalita. New York City Serenade. Jungleland. Drive All Night.

And I love the history of certain shows. Bruce going to London for the first time. The shows in 1976 and 1977 when he was contractually prohibited from releasing a new album. The No Nukes shows. The "Bruce falls in love" times during the Born in the USA tour. The "Bruce falls out of love" shows. The "band is back together" shows. Danny dies. Clarence dies.

But the E Street Band isn't doing jazz-style improvs. Not too many guitar or drum solos. Clarence kept the sax solos tight and amazing.

Anyhow, just my two cents. Not trying to win an argument or anything, just honestly explaining why the Dead doesn't move me the way it moves you. All respect, all love, it sucks for ANY OF US when we realize we'll never be able to see "that band" play live again. I'm actually thinking about catching KISS live one more time, for old times. But we've lost a lot of great ones over the past few years. Sad.

Them kix hurt my eyes dog. I dang shore caint wear em postum huntin. Ever critter in da swamp wood see me comin

Advertisement
Touch of Grey? It's funny you say that, because in the Dead community, it's a lightening rod song, and that's being generous. A lot of people loathe it as their solitary, fleeting attempt at commercial music (which is actually unfair). I don't think you will find a legitimate fan of the band that would call it their best song. Most wouldn't put it top 25 or 50 tbh. I don't judge anyone, music is a highly subjective thing, and I certainly have my favorites, but it's generally an instant way to discern whether someone really knows anything about the band and it's music. Touch of Grey barely registers with Deadheads.

So if you go back to the origins of Touch of Grey, they played it live for years before they even bothered to go into the studio to record and release it, let alone shoot that wacky video. It debuted in 1982, became a live staple, and wasn't even recorded and released until 1987 where it became their biggest commercial radio hit.

That's a key thing that uninformed people who are ignorant to the band's history don't know. Most bands record an album in the studio, multi-track it, dub it, get it fully produced, and then go try to replicate it as best they can on the road. Or ****, they even write it in the studio.

The Dead are a live band, period. They wrote their songs, and worked them out in real time, live on the road with their audience, not in the studio. You can even often hear the songs change a great bit over the first year or two they played them. Their music is meant to be heard live, especially since there is so much improvisation. Contrary to ignorant opinion, they don't as much "stretch out" a studio song on the road with exploratory improvisational jams sometimes, no, that's what the songs ARE, they have to simplify them to fit on the record! It's in reverse. You have no idea how influential they've been, to so many famous artists across all genres. Their ability to go out on a high-wire with no net each night, often without a set list, and bring it home is legendary, and they've been compared to great historical jazz musicians many times because of it. They will play 4-5 shows without repeating a song. Here is Don Was (musician and famous producer of The Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, Jackson Brown, STP, Van Morrison, Ziggy Marley, etc etc) and Taylor Hawkins (drummer for the Foo Fighters, of course) talking about their influence for example:

The Dead were a terrible fit for the studio, and they've all said as much, they tried to avoid the studio as much as possible, didn't care that much about releasing studio records, but did it anyway, because its what you do. I don't know a single legitimate fan of their music who ever bothers to play one of their studio records. Ever. I sure don't. They hated the studio. I play the live shows. The albums are really only used as ways for new people to maybe get introduced, before they quickly move on.

Back to Touch of Grey - it was a really nice little catchy sentimental song that played well live. Then once it got MTV'd, Heads started to roll their eyes at it and dismiss it. Interestingly enough, as it's aged, and the band has aged, and ****, I'm not even of that generation, but I am sure aging like all of us too, it's kind of circled back to being that nice little song with some relevant sentimentality, telling us it's going to be ok and it's ok even when it's not, especially the way the last few decades have gone here on Earth, with not just the band, but maybe most of us experiencing adversity and also losing people.

"We will get by. We will survive."

"Every silver lining's got a touch of grey."

Music Moments with CE, every Tuesday morning. Tell your friends. :)

It’s lost on these people. 90% of them think Poison is the greatest band ever. Complete horse****.

Advertisement
Totally get it... if you went to that side of the catalog and reached the same conclusion, you dug in, you explored, and it's not your cup of tea. My dad is the same way... though used more floral terms to give his thoughts. He saw The Who a bunch, Floyd, Petty, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, and down the list. Absolutely could not get into the Dead.
Meet me in St Augustine in 7 days

It’s lost on these people. 90% of them think Poison is the greatest band ever. Complete horse****.

It's ok. I don't judge. And I like a lot of different music. It's hard to really understand from the outside. Unless you're on the bus, have had the live experience, understand some of the lyrical, musical, and actual history, and what the band has meant to Americana, have really gone down the rabbit hole, you can't really comprehend the scene and the music, even if you like listening to them and enjoy the songs.

It's why they, and so many others involved, are so concentrated on keeping the music alive, and making sure the next generation keeps it going. It's bigger than the band.

Whether it's Dead & Company, Phil and Friends, JRAD, DSO, or so many others that keep it going, it's not going anywhere.💀🌹

Advertisement
Advertisement
Billy strings is gonna be a hard ticket to get at a decent price
Panic? You all have Billy Strings coming through next month too. Great live show, a good one to get up close at.
I saw Billy Strings last weekend. He is amazing. I am getting ready for Jazzfest next month. I love that Panic made St Aug an annual thing.

Advertisement
Back