New Leader Emerges For 2020 LB Devon Betty

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
At one point last season, it looked as if 3-star STA linebacker Devon Betty was one of the staffs top priorities at linebacker for the 2020 cycle. This no longer appears to be the case as communication between the two has slowed down in recent months.

“One out of ten, I’d say a six in communication. It’s a new coaching staff so you gotta kinda wait and be patient.”

In the limited communication that there has been, the message from Miami and Manny Diaz has been pretty clear.

“Mostly he just wants me to get up there and see around the campus and stuff. Just get used to it.”

So when can we expect this visit to take place?

“Soon, probably. If he contacts me again, I’ll ask him about the visits and stuff. I’ll go, and I’ll probably be up there.”

While Betty’s communication with Miami has been limited, his communication with Michigan has started to pick up, and there is a chance he takes an official visit this spring.

“If anything, I’ll be going to Michigan up in March, but I’m not sure yet, I’m undecided.”

One of the reasons Michigan has made a move with Betty is his connection to former STA teammate and Michigan signee Anthony Solomon.

“[Solomon] actually wants me to come up there with him and play next to him. Coach (Don) Brown said I’d be nice playing next to him, so I’m looking forward to it.”

The good news for Miami is that Betty does not plan on making a decision anytime soon. Should Miami choose to pursue Betty, they will have a good amount of time to catch up.

“Right now I’m just going with the flow of everything. I’m not rushing anything.”

Advertisement
FSU seems to be in the driver's seat for many of the state's top LBs.

Miami loses 3 this year, and who knows what the deal is with Wilder.

You'd think the target is at least 2 this year, probably 3. Where's the focus? All on OOS kids?

Advertisement
FSU seems to be in the driver's seat for many of the state's top LBs.

Miami loses 3 this year, and who knows what the deal is with Wilder.

You'd think the target is at least 2 this year, probably 3. Where's the focus? All on OOS kids?
Wilder will never play here.

Another HS rush end who will never make a significant impact at LB.

We love trying to fit round pegs into square holes with this **** over an over again, and it has yet to work for us.

MRob - Nope
McCord - Nope
McCray - Nope
Mike Smith - Nope
Wilder - Nope
Joyner - TBD
Brooks - TBD

Last edited:
Haven't seen him play live but a 4.92 forty, 4.75 shuttle, and a vert of 28.70 doesn't seem explosive enough for a 6 foot 190 pound LB. He's probably well down our LB board unless he has a monster season.
After reading this, then 100% pass on this kid.

I wouldn't want a 230 lbs LB that runs a 4.9 40, a 190 lbs LB running a 4.9 is out of the question.

We love trying to fit round pegs into square holes with this **** over an over again, and it has yet to work for us.

MRob - Nope
McCord - Nope
McCray - Nope
Mike Smith - Nope
Wilder - Nope
Joyner - TBD
Brooks - TBD

Joyner I am skeptical of. Brooks is an actual LB with LB skills. The rest were all stand up guys who never had responsibility and ran free 90% of the time. Willie Williams another who without his issues, would have been the same type of player.

Advertisement
Joyner I am skeptical of. Brooks is an actual LB with LB skills. The rest were all stand up guys who never had responsibility and ran free 90% of the time. Willie Williams another who without his issues, would have been the same type of player.
You are mistaken.

Brooks never played LB in HS and was a full time edge rusher just like everyone I listed.

Willie Williams was a head case, but a true LB who was an animal in HS.

So far the only HS edge rusher to become a starting LB here was Taveras Gooden.

MRob - Nope (Thanks Golden)
McCord - Nope (Thanks Golden)
McCray - Nope (Thanks Golden)
Mike Smith - Nope (Was serviceable dont disrespect)
Wilder - Nope (TBD but Nope)
Joyner - TBD
Brooks - TBD

Joyner - TBD
Brooks - TBD

There is a common denominator there....

Joyner - TBD
Brooks - TBD

There is a common denominator there....
Mike Smith was serviceable as a back up, but never made a significant impact at LB like I posted.

I don't mean to disrespect any of these players, more so the staff for trying to force these guys into positions they never played before just b/c they were a certain size and speed.

I have played both DE and MLB, and know the learning curve that takes place when making the transition from rushing the passer to having to read and react, shed blocks and locate the ball in a split second.

A lot more goes into playing LB than most realize.

For example, when the ball is snapped, the LBs first read is the OL, to see if they are run blocking or pass blocking. Then you read into the backfield, locate the ball then shed a block and make a tackle if its a run, if its a pass, you drop into your zone or pick up your man or blitz.

All of that is a lot more instinct and thinking than just beating the guy in front of you on your way to the backfield.

All that thinking and not being able to read and react in a split second gets those guys caught in the mess and they never make a play.

MRob was never able to figure it out, so we just used him as a third down rush end like Javon Nanton.

Last edited:
I like Betty and wouldn't mind him in a big LB class...But also cool if they like someone better.

Advertisement
You are mistaken.

Brooks never played LB in HS and was a full time edge rusher just like everyone I listed.

Willie Williams was a head case, but a true LB who was an animal in HS.

So far the only HS edge rusher to become a starting LB here was Taveras Gooden.

He was a DE who played first at South Broward then STA for 2 years. That is where he was COACHED and developed LB skills. STA until about 10 years ago won games against the Dillards of the world because of coaching, not talent, they never had stacked teams, but some guys from the certain Lauderhill hood who were there obviously to play.

Brooks has dropped and played LB type roles. I've seen it with my own eyes. Willie Williams was a replica of Willie Jones who went to FSU. They had no clue how to play DE or LB. They stood up and ran around using their athleticism to make 25 sacks.

Mike Smith was serviceable as a back up, but never made a significant impact at LB like I posted.

I don't mean to disrespect any of these players, more so the staff for trying to force these guys into positions they never played before just b/c they were a certain size and speed.

I have played both DE and MLB, and know the learning curve that takes place when making the transition from rushing the passer to having to read and react, shed blocks and locate the ball in a split second.

A lot more goes into playing LB than most realize.

For example, when the ball is snapped, the LBs first read is the OL, to see if they are run blocking or pass blocking. Then you read into the backfield, locate the ball then shed a block and make a tackle if its a run, if its a pass, you drop into your zone or pick up your man or blitz.

All of that is a lot more instinct and thinking than just beating the guy in front of you on your way to the backfield.

All that thinking and not being able to read and react in a split second gets those guys caught in the mess and they never make a play.

MRob was never able to figure it out, so we just used him as a third down rush end like Javon Nanton.

I get what your saying but we also brought in 3 stud LBs that have all but eliminated Mike smith from having a legit chance other than being a very serviceable backup

Pink and Shaq have been very good LBs in their time here....

I trust that Diaz will get someone else to produce at a similar if not better capabilities going forward

And besides dont forget we use to run a B.S 3-4 defense that needed "rush" LBs in the scheme as the defacto pass rusher... so it would make sense we took guys like McCord, McCray, AQM etc hoping to fill that spot

Advertisement
Joyner is at DE.

I've never been keen on these undersized high school ends being converted to 4-3 linebackers. 3-4 stand up OLB/rush end? Sure. But that's not what we use here. I mean it's two totally different positions and being a 200 lb pass rusher in no way means you'll be able to transition to a traditional linebacker. If you're going for a linebacker, recruit a guy who can read the play, scrape and tackle or stack and dump a blocker. If you're recruiting a guy because he's a good pass rusher, to me that means he's a DE and nothing else.

Advertisement
Back