New LB Evans on UM's radar

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Canes continued to expand their board at linebacker last month by offering 2020 3-star ATH JaQues Evans, who plays both linebacker and tight end for Dublin High in Georgia. Miami tight end coach Stephen Field was the one that extended him the good news over the phone after watching him practice, saying he saw Evans fitting best as a linebacker at UM.

“It was very exciting to hear the news,” Evans said. “My coach got a call while he was taping up my wrist after practice. Coach Field wanted to talk to me and to hear him say I had an offer brought a smile.”

As a guy that plays both offense and defense, how would Evans describe his style of play on the defensive unit?

“I’m like a drop-end type player I’d say.”

The 6-2 225 pound prospect had a big spring which saw him start to land Power 5 offers from schools such as Tennessee and Arizona State in addition to Miami. It’s clear the Canes have piqued Evans’ interest and he says he will consider them going forward.

“My interest is high, they are one of the schools that I will be looking into,” Evans said of UM. “The football program is very nice from what I’ve seen.”

With a crowded linebacker board right now, one way to standout would be to come visit for Paradise Camp and impress the coaches in person. One such LB the Canes are after includes Evans’ teammate at Dublin in Romello Height, who will be on campus this weekend for an official visit.

“As of now, I don’t know if I can make it to Paradise, but I’m planning to visit soon,” Evans said.

Evans hasn’t really visited many schools yet and is still in the early stages of his recruitment, so a decision isn’t imminent for him.

“I’m not sure when I’ll have a final decision yet.”

Advertisement
Seems to have pretty good instincts and plays well in space. Would've liked to see if he can cover well in the passing game.

Advertisement
No such thing as filled if we want them. Not the way good schools should let it be dictated by players.

We are pushing 1 of Cave/Flagg to commit pretty soon. We'll likely close with 1 more LB after that. Paradise Camp wll be big for guys with fringe type offers. **** we are after his teammate as a linebacker who appears to be coming down

We are pushing 1 of Cave/Flagg to commit pretty soon. We'll likely close with 1 more LB after that. Paradise Camp wll be big for guys with fringe type offers. **** we are after his teammate as a linebacker who appears to be coming down
Sounds like we take both. This staff isn’t about to end up in the old Miami recruiting November’s waiting on whales while Caves and Flagg pass by. Take this commits and keep recruiting whales simpler as that.

Sounds like we take both. This staff isn’t about to end up in the old Miami recruiting November’s waiting on whales while Caves and Flagg pass by. Take this commits and keep recruiting whales simpler as that.

tHAT WAS ALWAYS MY THOUGHT PROCESS...AND WAS CONFUSED BY THE LAST 2 COACHING STAFFS MOVES INTO THAT.

Also we have a need on the OL at Tackle we have offered maybe 10+ of them...the **** cast a wide *** net...it would be crazy how we recruited previously with needs...

There is no reason UM should be using grad transfer cbs or wr's...like EVER. Skill positions should always be stocked to the brim here. I do love KJ osborn though

Advertisement
tHAT WAS ALWAYS MY THOUGHT PROCESS...AND WAS CONFUSED BY THE LAST 2 COACHING STAFFS MOVES INTO THAT.

Also we have a need on the OL at Tackle we have offered maybe 10+ of them...the **** cast a wide *** net...it would be crazy how we recruited previously with needs...

There is no reason UM should be using grad transfer cbs or wr's...like EVER. Skill positions should always be stocked to the brim here. I do love KJ osborn though
100%. I get the transfers since sometimes you have things out of your control (injuries, transfers) but ultimately shouldn’t be a normal thing.

On the line thing I apologize if I don’t fully understand. You’re saying we have offered a lot or need to offer as many as possible (takes obviously)

Sounds like we are lining up some back up options if things get really bad.

Still think it’s Mathis, Cave, Flagg while throwing the world at Flowe down the stretch unless someone falls In our lap

KJ made sense with Cager leaving and at the time we it looked like JT too.

He’s going to be a monster out there this year.

Advertisement
100%. I get the transfers since sometimes you have things out of your control (injuries, transfers) but ultimately shouldn’t be a normal thing.

On the line thing I apologize if I don’t fully understand. You’re saying we have offered a lot or need to offer as many as possible (takes obviously)

I meant casting a wider net.

P[revious staffs would have a need for 2 tackles. Offer like 6, and go with the i'm a "silent" or "i really like your school" and get caught with their d*ck in their hand.

Which is why we had like 3 or 4 grad transfer corner backs...they got played over and over and over and never corrected mistakes.

We have a need at OT this year and Butch Barry is throwing out offers all over the place.(not just locally)..you cast that net your gonna bring in somehting

Miami seems to be using some NCAA 14 type methods at recruiting OT. Basically, getting every guy that fits their qualifications on the board and offering them up...taking whoever wants on board first.

Advertisement
I meant casting a wider net.

P[revious staffs would have a need for 2 tackles. Offer like 6, and go with the i'm a "silent" or "i really like your school" and get caught with their d*ck in their hand.

Which is why we had like 3 or 4 grad transfer corner backs...they got played over and over and over and never corrected mistakes.

We have a need at OT this year and Butch Barry is throwing out offers all over the place.(not just locally)..you cast that net your gonna bring in somehting
Got it. And I love it. Bigger pool equals better shot at a better class. The inverse is proven true by previous staffs.

Advertisement
Back