Highlights New Football Facility and Parking Garage before Gables Council 12/9

Stolt this from the CaneSport article.

1-1024x668.jpg

Advertisement
Didn't know we were starting a softball program, about time.

We are going to try to get it done in the next year or two, it will be good for Title IX. There are a couple of TV contracts involved (ACCN, ESPN), so it will be good for both UM and the ACC to provide the additional team and the additional content.

I (and a bunch of other posters) were told that the primary hurdle to be crossed is the field, then an announcement could be expected after that. Jenn Strawley is leading the efforts (don't hate, appreciate).

We are going to try to get it done in the next year or two, it will be good for Title IX. There are a couple of TV contracts involved (ACCN, ESPN), so it will be good for both UM and the ACC to provide the additional team and the additional content.

I (and a bunch of other posters) were told that the primary hurdle to be crossed is the field, then an announcement could be expected after that. Jenn Strawley is leading the efforts (don't hate, appreciate).
are you suggesting the softball team wouldn't share with men's baseball?

are you suggesting the softball team wouldn't share with men's baseball?

It is my understanding that there are various elements of men's baseball fields and women's softball fields that are not identical. On the other hand, I have ASKED the question as to whether any of the current Mark Light renovations are intended to make that facility more multi-use oriented.

No definitive answers yet. If the Light goes to full artificial turf and the fences are movable, that would be a good indication to me that we are prepping the field for double-duty.

Scheduling could be interesting, as UM tends to have more than 50% home games for baseball.

I do know that Dan talked about not "needing" to increase seating capacity, while at the same time talking about protecting some seating areas from the elements.

Some key comments and takeaways from the article.

---Arquitectonica is on the case. FANtastic. I have no doubts that any Coral-Gables-proposed changes will rapidly and efficiently be worked into revised plans.

---Building is 7 stories, garage is 8 stories. The building is 1 story taller than what I had expected, and I think this is now (officially) the tallest parking garage on the UM campus. Clearly, the new garage will be serving the new "Millenium" dorms, even though the announcment and plans are timed to go with the football facility.

---The "dining component" in prior discussions was confusing. Looks like there are two separate bits. An "athletics" dining component (not sure which building that will be in" as well as a "public" dining component (much smaller) which seems to be in the garage ground floor.

---Seems like there will be a new-new bridge built over the canal (probably enclosed) which connects the new building to the IPF. This will probably be connected down where the IPF is expected to be expanded, since they are talking about a connection to BOTH indoor (IPF) and outdoor (Greentree) fields.

---Fourth floor connection between garage and football building - smart, very smart. Probably going to put all the "reserved" parking on the 4th floor for the coaches, players, etc., and then the rest of the building will be for students and faculty.

---Seventh floor - this looks like a lot of the media-oriented stuff. With two podcast rooms, I envision a new home for @DMoney and @Peter Ariz . However, those rooms do NOT look large enough to hold a sofa, so Arquitectonica will need to revise the plans immediately.

---Fourth floor meeting rooms - since football has BY FAR the biggest teams among UM team sports, these rooms are going to open up a LOT of extra space in Old Hecht, allowing for renovation (short-term) and re-purposing of space for other sports (long-term).

---First and second floors - if you look at the plans, the locker rooms will definitely be two stories tall. Very cool. Other schools can "renovate" existing spaces (I'm looking at F$U's overhyped and underdelivered rollout from last year), but these bad boys are built for the long-term.

---NOTICE: the "Hurricane Room" on the second floor. I don't know what will be put on the walls, but I already love the design.

---Floors 3, 5, and 6 are apparently top-secret, and obviously intended as such by Mario...

---Gotta love "scooter parking" on the first floor. Hope they name that area in honor of Vinnie Testaverde, amirite @SWFLHurricane ???

---If the first floor doesn't seem to include dining, then it is definitely going in the parking garage building.

---This plan **** WELL BETTER include some of those picnic-table-sliders. I want to see those sliders ALL OVER CAMPUS. Even the law school needs those sliders. Come on, Dan, I want to see sliders from one end of campus to the other end...

Advertisement
Some key comments and takeaways from the article.

---Arquitectonica is on the case. FANtastic. I have no doubts that any Coral-Gables-proposed changes will rapidly and efficiently be worked into revised plans.

---Building is 7 stories, garage is 8 stories. The building is 1 story taller than what I had expected, and I think this is now (officially) the tallest parking garage on the UM campus. Clearly, the new garage will be serving the new "Millenium" dorms, even though the announcment and plans are timed to go with the football facility.

---The "dining component" in prior discussions was confusing. Looks like there are two separate bits. An "athletics" dining component (not sure which building that will be in" as well as a "public" dining component (much smaller) which seems to be in the garage ground floor.

---Seems like there will be a new-new bridge built over the canal (probably enclosed) which connects the new building to the IPF. This will probably be connected down where the IPF is expected to be expanded, since they are talking about a connection to BOTH indoor (IPF) and outdoor (Greentree) fields.

---Fourth floor connection between garage and football building - smart, very smart. Probably going to put all the "reserved" parking on the 4th floor for the coaches, players, etc., and then the rest of the building will be for students and faculty.

---Seventh floor - this looks like a lot of the media-oriented stuff. With two podcast rooms, I envision a new home for @DMoney and @Peter Ariz . However, those rooms do NOT look large enough to hold a sofa, so Arquitectonica will need to revise the plans immediately.

---Fourth floor meeting rooms - since football has BY FAR the biggest teams among UM team sports, these rooms are going to open up a LOT of extra space in Old Hecht, allowing for renovation (short-term) and re-purposing of space for other sports (long-term).

---First and second floors - if you look at the plans, the locker rooms will definitely be two stories tall. Very cool. Other schools can "renovate" existing spaces (I'm looking at F$U's overhyped and underdelivered rollout from last year), but these bad boys are built for the long-term.

---NOTICE: the "Hurricane Room" on the second floor. I don't know what will be put on the walls, but I already love the design.

---Floors 3, 5, and 6 are apparently top-secret, and obviously intended as such by Mario...

---Gotta love "scooter parking" on the first floor. Hope they name that area in honor of Vinnie Testaverde, amirite @SWFLHurricane ???

---If the first floor doesn't seem to include dining, then it is definitely going in the parking garage building.

---This plan **** WELL BETTER include some of those picnic-table-sliders. I want to see those sliders ALL OVER CAMPUS. Even the law school needs those sliders. Come on, Dan, I want to see sliders from one end of campus to the other end...
Lol....it should be named..."Vinny Testaverde Crash Test Site"....

Shoutout to @TheOriginalCane for his amazing in-depth updates of the progress being made and the future plans. Also kudos for the incredible detail, just outstanding.

What blows me away are a couple of things. First the sheer volume and scope of work that’s going to be done and secondly the relatively short period of time in which it’s going to be done.

It sounds like most of this is going to be completed within the next couple of years. I think most of you know that projects like this sometimes take much longer than just two years. It’s astounding.

What complicates matters at a campus like the University of Miami is the density. There just isn’t a whole lot of room, so you have to get creative with space, and because it’s Coral Gables, you’re not going be able to build up too high either.

I don’t know how many of you reading this have actually been on campus, but what makes the University Of Miami campus unique, is that you can easily walk from one end of campus to the other in a relatively short period of time. I’ve never measured the distance, but I think if you ran around the campus in a circle it might be a 5K. I’m not too good at visualizing distance measurements but it’s a small campus when you compare it to other colleges.

Shoutout to @TheOriginalCane for his amazing in-depth updates of the progress being made and the future plans. Also kudos for the incredible detail, just outstanding.

What blows me away are a couple of things. First the sheer volume and scope of work that’s going to be done and secondly the relatively short period of time in which it’s going to be done.

It sounds like most of this is going to be completed within the next couple of years. I think most of you know that projects like this sometimes take much longer than just two years. It’s astounding.

What complicates matters at a campus like the University of Miami is the density. There just isn’t a whole lot of room, so you have to get creative with space, and because it’s Coral Gables, you’re not going be able to build up too high either.

I don’t know how many of you reading this have actually been on campus, but what makes the University Of Miami campus unique, is that you can easily walk from one end of campus to the other in a relatively short period of time. I’ve never measured the distance, but I think if you ran around the campus in a circle it might be a 5K. I’m not too good at visualizing distance measurements but it’s a small campus when you compare it to other colleges.

Agree on the "volume/scope" point. This is essentially "Richter Library" going up in a parking lot in 2.5 years from start-to-finish.

I'd imagine everyone is going to have to take the shuttle to get to the Wellness Center for the next 2.5 years. Or park on the back side by the IM Fields and walk.

Also agreed on the size of campus. I always loved it. Easy to navigate, and you'd always see people you knew.

Agree on the "volume/scope" point. This is essentially "Richter Library" going up in a parking lot in 2.5 years from start-to-finish.

I'd imagine everyone is going to have to take the shuttle to get to the Wellness Center for the next 2.5 years. Or park on the back side by the IM Fields and walk.

Also agreed on the size of campus. I always loved it. Easy to navigate, and you'd always see people you knew.

Yeah it was hard to get away from people if you wanted to. Break ups were kind of messy.

Advertisement

It took abt 10/15 walk to get from the towers to all classrooms. Compare that to some campus that require a 15 bus ride. Campus is extremely dense and small

That's it...I'm breaking up with you...I've simply had it...I wish you well on your future endeavors...............15 mins later....
Hey!!!!...How ya been??...Long time, no see....

Could be worse. I never lived in the Towers, I only lived in Eaton and Mahoney/Pearson, where they had loooooooong hallways. So you'd frequently have to walk past people in the halls that you had broken up with...

Good times...

Advertisement
That's it...I'm breaking up with you...I've simply had it...I wish you well on your future endeavors...............15 mins later....
Hey!!!!...How ya been??...Long time, no see....
I remember a 15-minute quickie in the pit by the then Art Dept building turn into a two-year “look at your receipt“ encounter everyday I was on campus.

It is my understanding that there are various elements of men's baseball fields and women's softball fields that are not identical. On the other hand, I have ASKED the question as to whether any of the current Mark Light renovations are intended to make that facility more multi-use oriented.

No definitive answers yet. If the Light goes to full artificial turf and the fences are movable, that would be a good indication to me that we are prepping the field for double-duty.

Scheduling could be interesting, as UM tends to have more than 50% home games for baseball.

I do know that Dan talked about not "needing" to increase seating capacity, while at the same time talking about protecting some seating areas from the elements.

Bro, the dimensions of a women’s softball field & men’s baseball field are night and day.

Advertisement
Bro, the dimensions of a women’s softball field & men’s baseball field are night and day.

Agreed. Which is why I have asked about what is happening with the Mark Light renovations.

I don't think it is realistic or likely that we could play both sports on the same field, but we don't have a ton of available acreage either.

Advertisement
Back