New Era

It didn't happen for 10 years. I was refuting your silly point about losing single games in 2015.

So if "baseball" was the reason for losing games against good teams in 2015-16, why did we lose to good teams in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, and 2018?

Advertisement
Bottom line: instead of bringing in more freshmen to fill those obviously open spots, the staff wanted a quick fix and brought in the wrong JUCO guys who wouldn't be around two years later.

I never liked baseball until my senior year of high school, when I started following Miami. That also just happened to be the season prior to my freshman year at Miami, which was 2001. From the 2002-2005 season, I'd wager I went to more games than any student without a direct affiliation with the program. I lived at The Light on weekends.

The beauty of baseball is it's a game of statistics. As a stats junkie with a particular interest in the law of large numbers, I found the nuances fascinating.

That being said, everything you're saying here means absolutely nothing. The sample size is way, way too small. I can appreciate the notion of progress, and hey, that's great. But I'll judge Gino four years in and not four games in.

Because baseball is a game of statistics, it does mean something. There is improvement across the board against a team they dropped a game to on Sunday and a team they could not beat in 3 attempts last year. Not judging Gino in any manner other than we are off to a good start against two teams we were a combined 2-4 last year.

We shall see this weekend. Florida had an awful midweek so that is at least encouraging rolling into Canesvilles. Hopefully, the kids will perform and not let the stage beat too much for them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The freshmen on the 2017 roster were the draft class of 2016 and so they signed in November 2015.

And so on.

By the time Collins, Abreu, etc left in the summer of 2016, the roster was basically already set.

No amount of your ridiculous arguing will change the facts.

Two freshmen got AB's in 2017: Amditis (before his injury) and Baldor. Tell me with a straight face that we were better off in 2018 after giving AB's to Burns, Davison, Batista, Tackett, and Gali than we would have been if we actually brought in more than two position players the year before.

Picolo is back with a vengeance!

The gnome........... Gnome is going to gnome!

Because baseball is a game of statistics, it does mean something. There is improvement across the board against a team they dropped a game to on Sunday and a team they could not beat in 3 attempts last year. Not judging Gino in any manner other than we are off to a good start against two teams we were a combined 2-4 last year.

We shall see this weekend. Florida had an awful midweek so that is at least encouraging rolling into Canesvilles. Hopefully, the kids will perform and not late the stage beat too much for them.

That is absolutely not how statistics work.

Advertisement
Oh really? Is ERA up or down this point last year to this year? How about batting average? Slugging percentage? On base percentage? You ever play the game?

Yes really. The GAME has NOTHING TO DO with the NUMBERS, and you're making yourself out to sound a **** fool.

You're basically flipping a coin twice, having it come up heads both times, and saying most of the next 50 flips will be heads. Or as a better example, we scored 19 runs in our first game, so that means we'll average 19 runs a game on the season. Right?

Every stat you're quoting is HEAVILY SUBJECT to outliers given the EXTREMELY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE of four games. You have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading a stats book before making this sad attempt to discuss it intelligently.

Advertisement
Yes really. The GAME has NOTHING TO DO with the NUMBERS, and you're making yourself out to sound a **** fool.

You're basically flipping a coin twice, having it come up heads both times, and saying most of the next 50 flips will be heads. Or as a better example, we scored 19 runs in our first game, so that means we'll average 19 runs a game on the season. Right?

Every stat you're quoting is HEAVILY SUBJECT to outliers given the EXTREMELY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE of four games. You have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading a stats book before making this sad attempt to discuss it intelligently.

No **** it is a small sample size. LoL, did not know I ran into Bill James. You going to give me regression analysis next? Did you ever play the game or just keep stats?

Advertisement
Well, the sample size just increased. Hopefully, our resident Bill James is punching the numbers right now and reports back. Very nice 5-2 win tonight. Let's take the series tomorrow and broom them on Sunday.

Actually running 1-Tail T-tests for work right now.... Trying to estimate implied deviations and median incremental attribution ....

Advertisement
Back