New College Baseball "Shot Clock"

Advertisement
Maybe a new gimmick to help baseballs horrible viewership is a bigger ball and bigger bats? I mean the new age fans loves offense bro. We must make baseball more exciting for the two second attention span fan nowadays.
Yeah I don't like it much when baseball tries to cater to the "casual" fan at the expense of diehards. The chess match between a pitcher and base runner is part of the game.

Maybe a new gimmick to help baseballs horrible viewership is a bigger ball and bigger bats? I mean the new age fans loves offense bro. We must make baseball more exciting for the two second attention span fan nowadays.
one of the worst ideas I have ever heard

Advertisement
I agree with the sarcastic post.

A few years back they decided to change the CFB rule to start the clock after the ball was spotted on an out-of-bounds play (with more than 2:00 on the clock).
Fewer plays/less football. Less 4th quarter come-backs.

”The game was too long” blah, blah, effin blah.
I don’t care if a game is 2 hrs 50 minutes or 3 hrs 10 minutes.
Just sit back (or stand and scream) and enjoy.
I don’t understand the need for the game to be “on the clock”.

On a sideways note:
A few years back they decided to change the CFB rule to start the clock after the ball was spotted on an out-of-bounds play (with more than 2:00 on the clock).
Fewer plays/less football. Less 4th quarter come-backs.

”The game was too long” blah, blah, effin blah.
I don’t care if a game is 2 hrs 50 minutes or 3 hrs 10 minutes.
Just sit back (or stand and scream) and enjoy.
I don’t understand the need for the game to be “on the clock”.
I’ve never heard a real fan say “ these games are too long “ lol

I’ve never heard a real fan say “ these games are too long “ lol
Man, how about those 4 hour, 10 minute FSU/Miami games in the mid-eighties where they were airing it out all game?

Great stuff.
It drove CBS nuts, but it was great stuff.

If you‘ve got somewhere to be, then don’t watch.

Advertisement
Yeah I don't like it much when baseball tries to cater to the "casual" fan at the expense of diehards. The chess match between a pitcher and base runner is part of the game.
The problem is that it becomes unwatchable at a certain point. When the biggest thing people gripe about is how long a game lasts, maybe you should cut down on the stupid crap. Having a pitch clock helps, same with some other minor changes. We get it, baseball should never change, but if you want the sport to survive, it has to adapt.

The problem is that it becomes unwatchable at a certain point. When the biggest thing people gripe about is how long a game lasts, maybe you should cut down on the stupid crap. Having a pitch clock helps, same with some other minor changes. We get it, baseball should never change, but if you want the sport to survive, it has to adapt.
Baseball will always be around. There is no danger of not “surviving”. That narrative is pushed by the people who stand to make the most money off of the sport. If it becomes less and less popular, I’d be totally fine seeing players make 500k a year instead of 40 million and to see MLB teams play in front of crowds of 5,000 in small, intimate ball parks.

Baseball will always be around. There is no danger of not “surviving”. That narrative is pushed by the people who stand to make the most money off of the sport. If it becomes less and less popular, I’d be totally fine seeing players make 500k a year instead of 40 million and to see MLB teams play in front of crowds of 5,000 in small, intimate ball parks.
So, in other words, you're fine with a niche sport. Guess what? If you are in a sport, it might as well be dead if it's niche, unless you can find a very profitable niche. Baseball has a serious problem, the game doesn't resonate with most young people and MLB, unlike the NBA, NFL and NHL refuses to adjust because the baseball purists hold way too much sway in the decision making process.

No one is saying completely overhaul the game, just making it to where you aren't spending 30-45 minutes per inning, and NOTHING HAPPENED. I've been at a game, and you've had innings, where there were no hits, no runs, and a couple of walks, and it took a half hour to get through the entire inning. That's brutal. Never mind the other systemic issues that no one wants to address. Baseball purists are going to protect the game into an afterthought, which would be a **** shame..

So, in other words, you're fine with a niche sport. Guess what? If you are in a sport, it might as well be dead if it's niche, unless you can find a very profitable niche. Baseball has a serious problem, the game doesn't resonate with most young people and MLB, unlike the NBA, NFL and NHL refuses to adjust because the baseball purists hold way too much sway in the decision making process.

No one is saying completely overhaul the game, just making it to where you aren't spending 30-45 minutes per inning, and NOTHING HAPPENED. I've been at a game, and you've had innings, where there were no hits, no runs, and a couple of walks, and it took a half hour to get through the entire inning. That's brutal. Never mind the other systemic issues that no one wants to address. Baseball purists are going to protect the game into an afterthought, which would be a **** shame..
Yep. Totally fine with it. My passion isn't defined by a popularity contest. It's just that the premise that the sport is dying isn't carrying much weight. I saw a study that said youth participation rose almost 22% from the years 14-18. Every franchise is now worth a billion dollars plus. Record revenues the last few years. Players salaries rising. TV contracts breaking records. International appreciation is growing.

Advertisement
MLB said the shift will be banned starting in 2023. I wonder if college baseball follows suit. Imagine telling a football team that they could only play a 4-3 base Cover 2 on every play and every situation?

MLB said the shift will be banned starting in 2023. I wonder if college baseball follows suit. Imagine telling a football team that they could only play a 4-3 base Cover 2 on every play and every situation?
Best way to ban the shift is for hitters to learn to hit to opposite field. Do not need a **** rule

Advertisement
Looking like 1-2 more full time assistants will be added in D1. I wish this was 5 years ago I’d go all in to even be the 5th guy on staff.

They need 1-2 superstar head coaches from small schools who do wayyyy more with less.

Advertisement
Back