New Coach - Year 1

canes1996

Eternal Optimist
Imagine that your favorite coach (whoever that may be) has just been hired. What immediate steps must he take to get off on the right foot?

For me, they include (in no particular order):

- truly allowing the former players access to practice/games;
- a culture that isn't afraid to actually talk about winning games and championships (not "deserving victory");
- physicality to practices (return to making the preparation hard and the games easy).

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
maintain the recruiting class, add a few of his own choices. Win football games.

Advertisement
Whatever side of the ball is his specialty, identify and hire an elite coordinator for the other side. Secondly, an aggressive approach on both sides of the ball.

Just win.

I absolutely agree, but I want the team to play like Hurricanes. I guess what I mean is, the Canes under Golden were 7-0 at one point but anyone with eyes that work could see it was fool's gold. I want to win but I also want a culture that is obsessed with winning (not sure if I'm making my point clear; definitely not disagreeing with you).

Advertisement
I want to see a team that is cohesive and plays with rhythm--plays more on instinct and is not constantly looking over at the sideline for instruction.

Ask DBC, he probably already has all the play calls for the first game already figured out...in his head.

Prioritize defense and running the football

Actually employ a players not plays mentality to the team and recruiting base. Instead of saying it constantly but being full of **** in reality.

Move the culture and mentality towards throwing knockout punches and closing games and not being scared to have high expectations

Advertisement
* I want someone with more passion than process. I want intensity and fire and bravado.

* I want someone who values speed over bulk.

* I want someone willing to be inventive on offense.

* I want someone willing to be aggressive on defense. More river boat gambler, less Riviera Buick peddler.

* I want someone who can use South Florida to our advantage again. Yeah, we're going to miss on some 4 and 5 star kids -- everybody recruits Florida. But what we can do is evaluate better, find underrated athletes, and have the "bottom" half of our class stocked with 3-star South Florida studs.

I want to see a team that appears prepared for every game, win or lose.

I want to watch a play and think to myself "okay, that makes sense" even if it doesn't work or I don't agree with it.

I want to see defensive players set before the snap unless they're intentionally in motion.

I want to cut our penalties in half, specifically false starts, delay of game, and formation/procedural penalties.

I want to be less afraid of 3rd and 17 on defense than 3rd and 3.

I want to see us run the ball effectively and creatively.

I want to see touchdowns in the red zone more often than not.

On occasion, I want everyone in the stadium to know what play we're running and have it work anyway.

I want a moratorium on the word "swagger" until we win at least 10 games.

I want to see us win a bowl game.

Last edited:
Recruit relentlessly in Dade/Broward. Get the right kids in here. Don't take a kid just for the sake of filling up your class, take the right kids. Evaluate kids on film not just off of a UM camp.

Bring an attacking defense with multiple fronts. Simple, not a brain puzzle like the last scheme we tried to run.

A new OL coach.

Uptempo offense. Doesn't have to be innovative or anything, just a spread offense with the initiative to run the ball.

You don't need to do anything crazy here. Its very simple, recruit the **** out of SoFla and don't get too cute on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
For me, recruiting speed on both sides of the ball is key. The Xs and Os stuff would get us to a 9-10 win season, imo, but until we get more speed on btoh sides of the ball, we're stuck at that level. Not that it's a bad thing but the next new coach has to get this team faster. Our back 7 is slow. Need more fast twitch kids like AQM and Grace- kids that pop off the screen.

Change the attitude of this team. I want them to win and if they do lose be incredibly ****ed off and show that are goal is to win National Championships even if it may be unrealistic on paper.

Advertisement
Back