New Adidas UM Uniforms Could Take Que from Student Design

I'd like to see something between Wisconsin and Louisville but with our colors and a varied font. Triple striped sleeves, orange, green and blue with our traditional helmets.

It would be cool to have a "throwback" alternate with the U on the front (similar to Michigan with the M or Wisconsin with the W) and the old-school Sebastian on the helmet.
wisconsin_football_uniforms.jpg

They can have a mix up for the kids so long as the curtains match the drapes. The Duck Commander Bowl mash up was terrible.

Advertisement
I really can't figure out what everyone is *****ing about.
If you look closely at the uni's for the final four teams
they are a DIRECT rip off of Adidas uni's. Nike ain't the
cutting edge that ya'll are making them out to be.

Maybe (maybe!) we just switched to the right horse?
and got paid handsomely to do so.

what's hard is that it really isn't that hard to get a clean, **** look with our colors.

no other school shares our color scheme.

we can be unique without over doing it.

I love these uniforms. It says tradition with a nice modern touch. Too bad it won't happen. Hopefully D$ is right and Adidas moves to a more traditional look.

Not so fast.

I talked to Leo about this, and he said the school liked his design, but Nike had the final say. He did however really lobby for the black cleats and socks. So unless Adidas goes against their designers they nabbed from Nike, I'd have to side with Hurracanes.

Leo's design was beastly.

We shall see. I thought we should have gone this direction from the onset with Nike. Instead, we went 180 degrees opposite.

I think a lot of us would agree with you, but again it seemed like Nike influenced the decision more than the school dictating what they wanted.

Leo's design was all original, home grown, he was a student, and an actual fan of the program. I liked the renewed uniforms, hated the helmets, but would have loved Leo to have designed our uniforms. It was literally a Fubu design, for us by us.

Leo is one of us inside, he's a weapon underutilized.

Last edited:
Who gives a crap about uniforms when the coaching staff is the same buch of losers. Just put Dumbass on the Unis

Advertisement
I love these uniforms. It says tradition with a nice modern touch. Too bad it won't happen. Hopefully D$ is right and Adidas moves to a more traditional look.

Not so fast.

I talked to Leo about this, and he said the school liked his design, but Nike had the final say. He did however really lobby for the black cleats and socks. So unless Adidas goes against their designers they nabbed from Nike, I'd have to side with Hurracanes.

We shall see. I thought we should have gone this direction from the onset with Nike. Instead, we went 180 degrees opposite.

I think a lot of us would agree with you, but again it seemed like Nike influenced the decision more than the school dictating what they wanted.

Leo's design was all original, home grown, he was a student, and an actual fan of the program. I liked the renewed uniforms, hated the helmets, but would have loved Leo to have designed our uniforms. It was literally a Fubu design, for us by us.

I think you are giving Nike too much credit. Nike can push and spin things all they want; however, Miami has the final say on what they want to wear. Look at FSU this past season, fans were outraged with the gold colored numbers and the Maroon looking too purple. FSU called Nike and had them alter the uniforms during the season. Additionally, 5 or 6 years ago, I believe Nebraska fans were furious with the changes made in the Football uniforms by Adidas. Nebraska had them change the uniforms to the original design.

Advertisement
Traditional look, with one crazy alternate per year would be my favorite scenario. Also stop letting the players choose the look, clearly some horrible fashion sense on the team .... Green on green? Away uniforms with Green helmet??

Not so fast.

I think you are giving Nike too much credit. Nike can push and spin things all they want; however, Miami has the final say on what they want to wear. Look at FSU this past season, fans were outraged with the gold colored numbers and the Maroon looking too purple. FSU called Nike and had them alter the uniforms during the season. Additionally, 5 or 6 years ago, I believe Nebraska fans were furious with the changes made in the Football uniforms by Adidas. Nebraska had them change the uniforms to the original design.

You're missing the point, UM didn't take the bull by the horns, they just let Nike handle it. Could UM have changed something? Yes, but they more or less just said handle it.

They had the ability to say to Nike, listen to Leo, he knows this side of things, work with him, and put something together.

FSU on the other hand were more assertive in the process.

Paranos, he's an employee now. His name is Leo Ramos. Works in marketing. Absolutely awesome dude.

That's the same guy I met when I met you and Carter right?

That's him.

Advertisement

You're missing the point, UM didn't take the bull by the horns, they just let Nike handle it. Could UM have changed something? Yes, but they more or less just said handle it.

They had the ability to say to Nike, listen to Leo, he knows this side of things, work with him, and put something together.

Paranos, he's an employee now. His name is Leo Ramos. Works in marketing. Absolutely awesome dude.

That's him.

You are spot on. I'll admit, I'm partial to Nike b/c I rocked them for my high school football team and my frat brother works in their marketing dept for Nike Global and I get hooked up all the time...but he and I was just emailing about this same subject. He said their designers come up w/ ideas all the time, but it's up to the teams to say yay or nay to them. However, some schools are lazy, and they allow all creative control to be handled by them.

Also, word is Nike did up it's offer to us a bit, but Miami was playing hard ball, and being that Miami is not the brand it used to be, Nike bowed out graciously. It really hurt losing us, too, since we were the first, but truthfully we haven't been relevant in some time and apparently the way we approached the deal was as if we were Alabama and FSU all of sudden. In the end, I hope this doesn't hurt us and the money we get helps w/ coaching changes and building better facilities.

Any ideas when the new Uniforms will be unveiled? Since we are under contract with Nike until August 2015, will we have to wait until August to see the new uniforms?

I talked to Leo about this, and he said the school liked his design, but Nike had the final say. He did however really lobby for the black cleats and socks. So unless Adidas goes against their designers they nabbed from Nike, I'd have to side with

That's him.

I'm dumbfounded by this if it is true. This is just one of the many examples why our AD (no offense to Leo) has no vision and leadership to take this program into the 21st century. If I were in charge of this process I would have handled it entirely different. Nike only cares about Nike. Miami has to protect its brand. This explains why we had the bra strap and mustache uniforms the last 8 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There's no telling what the future holds but it doesn't hurt to have an American
at the helm leading global brands for Adidas. He's also a rabid football fan (too bad he's a badger)
so I don't think we are the last school to flip. I'm bummin a bit as my roommate from UM was
in that group for years (Senior VP level) but left for another gig.

Woulda been fun to have a Cane leading the charge. Regardless, everybody needs to calm the
**** down. What they wear is irrelevant. How they play is all I care about.

That's him.

I'm dumbfounded by this if it is true. This is just one of the many examples why our AD (no offense to Leo) has no vision and leadership to take this program into the 21st century. If I were in charge of this process I would have handled it entirely different. Nike only cares about Nike. Miami has to protect its brand. This explains why we had the bra strap and mustache uniforms the last 8 years.

I hope to God we actually have an input on these designs...if we allow Adidas to get all Euro w/ our look, we may be looking like a Rugby team real soon, folks.

Advertisement
Back