New Academic Requirements for rising juniors

Advertisement
2.3 gpa to qualify

Tim, I am specifically talking about being able to qualify as and Academic Redshirt for the NCAA with a 2.0. I know our min is 2.5, but I am wondering if you think the administration will allow lower admission standards but in an additional category (with a lower GPA requirement) to accommodate this new category.

Last edited:
I know that they are going to start flagging kids who have an high number of credits in their senior year. like taking online classes and such. They want them to be able to have an emphasis on being a good student throughout hs instead of just when they know that they'll be able to get a scholarship.

I know that they are going to start flagging kids who have an high number of credits in their senior year. like taking online classes and such. They want them to be able to have an emphasis on being a good student throughout hs instead of just when they know that they'll be able to get a scholarship.

/facepalm

Advertisement
The Reckoning is coming. This is an NCAA mandate, making this the new minimum standard. I would bet you will see a significant amount of kids unable to qualify. Probably at least 10%. They will have to go JUCO or Prep. The only issue with that is that JUCO minimum requirements are raising to 2.5 to qualify D1. I'm not against this because it puts us more on an even playing field. My thinking is that if it's harder to get into every school, academics won't scare kids away as much (as long as we aren't requiring something outrageous, which we might).

This is irrelevant, but when my fraternity started, it was a 2.0 to get in. It was hard to get some guys in. Then we raised it to 2.3, lord it was like every good guy we found, couldn't get in. Eventually, it was raised to a 2.6. Lord, we all the studs had to wait. it was Depressing.

Just wait.

Doesn't this hurt schools with the lower academic requirements in terms of coursework? Shouldn't greatly influence our recruiting, since our academic core requirements to get in was tougher than the NCAA minimum regardless.

Advertisement
This is irrelevant, but when my fraternity started, it was a 2.0 to get in. It was hard to get some guys in. Then we raised it to 2.3, lord it was like every good guy we found, couldn't get in. Eventually, it was raised to a 2.6. Lord, we all the studs had to wait. it was Depressing.

Just wait.

So basically your frat turned into this

326.jpg

**** so any confirmation on what our minimum gpa requirement is? It seems there are different reports in this thread. If this rule is above our requirements with a qualifying score this will really hurt Miami given our recruiting area and the lack of strong school systems in dade.

**** so any confirmation on what our minimum gpa requirement is? It seems there are different reports in this thread. If this rule is above our requirements with a qualifying score this will really hurt Miami given our recruiting area and the lack of strong school systems in dade.

It would hurt everyone with South Florida recruits. The days of kids fleeing for easier schools would be over. If they can't get in here, they can't get in anywhere. It doesn't help up per se, but it isn't going to hurt because those kids just won't play college ball.

as an athlete UMs minimum is not a 2.5 but a 2.0 with a qualifying score.

I thought this was the case because I've seen kids get into UM with 2.25-2.45 unweighted GPAs to play basketball/baseball/football granted the SAT/ACT score was high enough. But as someone on HERE Pointed out to me, It's not that simple. Case by case basis decided by a committee and how hard the coaches try and push to get a kid in.

Coaches might not tell a kid about that process every time.

Advertisement
as an athlete UMs minimum is not a 2.5 but a 2.0 with a qualifying score.

I thought this was the case because I've seen kids get into UM with 2.25-2.45 unweighted GPAs to play basketball/baseball/football granted the SAT/ACT score was high enough. But as someone on HERE Pointed out to me, It's not that simple. Case by case basis decided by a committee and how hard the coaches try and push to get a kid in.

Coaches might not tell a kid about that process every time.

When it comes to athletics the GPAs are weighted but it is only the 16 core classes and starting next year I believe the number of core classes is increased.

Advertisement
Back