New 2022 DL target Schwartz has NFL pedigree, looking to stay in-state

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
One of Miami Hurricanes defensive line coach Todd Stroud’s newest targets on the recruiting trail is 2022 Bolles (FL) DE Hayden Schwartz, a young pass rusher on the rise that has a unique pedigree.

“[Stroud] was talking about how even though these past couple years they’ve been struggling, with these classes and their recruiting, they’re going to be really good these next couple years,” Schwartz said. “And he was just talking about how their campus and their school is just the best of the best. He was also telling me how he liked my aggression, my violence, and how I don’t give up on the play.”

Like many recruits his age, the 6-4 250 pound prospect has his eyes on someday getting drafted into the NFL.

The difference? He has the embodiment of his dream living at home with him every day, as his father, Bryan, was a second-round pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995 as a linebacker and played for the team for the next 5 years.

“It’s pretty awesome because I’m around him every day and he’s been [to the NFL], so he knows what to coach me up on,” Hayden said of his father. “My dad’s like my personal coach in a way - he just taught me how to never give up on a play and to consistently keep pushing and always keep my aggression up.”

It’s clear family is important to Schwartz, which is why he says he’d prefer to play football in college closer to home if he is able.

“My family is all here, my parents want to come to all my games, so I’d like to stay in the Florida area,” Schwartz said.

Although Schwartz has never been to the Miami campus, he has been to the South Florida area, and cited some of the things he feels has him interested in possibly playing for UM.

“It’s just a certain vibe to it, it’s kind of beachy and light, I just like it,” Schwartz said of South Florida. “Then for football, I feel like Miami’s defense is always good. And then just how the culture is, especially when you’re watching a game and there’s a big play, everyone’s all hyped up and stuff, the Turnover Chain. I just love the culture there. I know they’ve struggled these last few years, but it’s still Miami. I’m excited to have a chance to play there.”

Penn State, NC State, WVU, and Maryland are some of the Power 5 schools that have recently entered the race for Schwartz, who has a positive outlook on where his process can go from here.

“I feel like I’m in a good spot right now,” Schwartz said of recruiting. “It’s died down a little bit in the past month, last month it was like back-to-back-to-back offers. But I’ve been enjoying it, I like it. It’s fun reaching out to coaches and talking to them. I’m honestly content with what I have right now, but I’m open to whatever other school that comes in down the line.”

Louisville and Georgia Tech are two other schools that have taken the time to build a strong bond with Schwartz thus far, while one of his most recent visits before the quarantine was to Wake Forest, a program he identified as being similar in layout to Bolles.

“I really liked the campus and how it’s a smaller school and everything is really close,” Schwartz said of Wake. “Where I go to school, it has a really similar feel in that everyone is connected. Especially with the football facilities, everything feels like it’s right there and you can always be around your teammates.”

As a sophomore in 2019, Schwartz made the move from linebacker to DE, recording 49 tackles, 15 TFL, 8 sacks, 2 FR, and 2 FF. After adding more weight over the offseason to better hold up in the run game, Schwartz says he’s worked a ton to retain his athleticism for his junior year in 2020.

“Obviously our football program has us doing their stuff, but I also do training with one of my teammates, we go to the same trainer. We’ve just been lifting, weight training, trying to keep my agility. Last year during the season I was 215-220, I’m now up to 250, so I need to keep up my footwork, my quickness, and explosion. In game scenarios, just working on timing turning my head, coming off the ball, improving in pass rushing, small technique stuff. Last year, I was new to the D-Line, so I’d just go out there and go. I just want to add more to my skill set and my game.”

Advertisement
Sounds like a smart and good kid. I love it when they understand that staying homes is important for families to stay close to one another. There’s nothing wrong with leaving, but you’ll lose that closeness and it never returns. Thoughtful

always keep my aggression up .

This young man is taking ownership and his father is priceless in his formation , these words above says all I need to here a Kevin Krein (alumni) type of DE.

We should be in hot pursuit of this young man.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
aL7LLuZ.gif

Dad was a no fuss killer Lb for the Jags when he played here. Always enjoyed his workman type effort. If Hayden plays the same way he’d be a steal at DT. Kid seems to play just like Pops.

Advertisement
The DL class for 2022 is nasty in state. I'm not sure who else we are looking at that's definitely play DT but I like this kid. Plus I think we'll land 2-3 stud DEs next cycle. If we get a season in this year and we're good recruiting can be even better in 2022 than the best case scenario for this 2021 class. I know, I'm getting ahead myself.

This will sound racially insensitive but so what.
I’ve always felt that for A white guy to play football at UM he pretty much has to be a bad ***. The UM football team has historically had a “black” culture and certainly larger than life, bad-*** black stars; Irvin, Lewis, JB, Winslow, Lamar Thomas, Sapp, Highsmith (the dad), just to name a few. That’s not an easy culture for a white guy to step into comfortably unless he is tough which is why our white stars have also been bad asses; Morgan, Medearis, Olsen, Winston, Romberg.
if a white gus wants to play ball at UM and he isn’t scared off by the culture, more power to him. I want that young man Because he’s likely a tough white guy.

This will sound racially insensitive but so what.
I’ve always felt that for A white guy to play football at UM he pretty much has to be a bad ***. The UM football team has historically had a “black” culture and certainly larger than life, bad-*** black stars; Irvin, Lewis, JB, Winslow, Lamar Thomas, Sapp, Highsmith (the dad), just to name a few. That’s not an easy culture for a white guy to step into comfortably unless he is tough which is why our white stars have also been bad asses; Morgan, Medearis, Olsen, Winston, Romberg.
if a white gus wants to play ball at UM and he isn’t scared off by the culture, more power to him. I want that young man Because he’s likely a tough white guy.

Bar Milo says hello

Advertisement
Back