New 2021 DB offeree Dunn has basketball tie to UM, will be in Miami area this weekend

Advertisement
The Miami Hurricanes have sent out an abundance of 2021 offers in recent weeks, but an intriguing name on that list is South Warren (KY) 3-star ATH Jantzen Dunn, who has also received offers from Oklahoma, WVU, and Tennessee in the new year, and also has a connection to Miami athletics.

“Coach (DeMarcus) Van Dyke and coach (Blake) Baker called me. They were telling me a lot about their defensive staff, how it was a great fit for me, and they wanted me to come check it out,” Dunn said. “It was exciting getting the offer, especially since my dad played basketball up there. I liked them when I was growing up.”

Jantzen’s father, Mitchell Dunn, was a guard on the 1994-95 Miami Hurricanes basketball team, averaging 8.1 pts, 2.4 assists, 3.1 rebounds, and 1.2 steals per game that season. Jantzen says his father had a strong reaction when he found out UM had extended the offer.

“It was the most excited that he’s ever been,” Jantzen said of his father Mitchell. “He was really happy for me and he was proud to tell me that my hard work really paid off. It was just a really proud dad moment for him and I was happy for him.”

The 6-2 175 pound athlete is a two-way player on the high school level, but most programs are recruiting Dunn to play as a defender.

“I play both offense and defense in high school, but in college I’d like to play DB and that’s where most schools are recruiting me, including Miami,” Dunn said. “My tape is mostly DB, and I play safety, corner, and receiver. I like corner better, but I’m in love with all three and I can play all of them. Corner, I feel like you can be up in their face more and be more aggressive, I like being in the opponent’s face. Safety is a little more laid back and it’s more about giving help.”

A visit to Miami could be coming as soon as this weekend for Dunn, as he will be in the area during UM’s junior day event for a 7-on-7 tournament and is hoping to stop by campus.

“They just have a history of really good football. I’d love to be a part of the program and help them rebuild to what they were before,” Dunn said of UM. “I’m actually coming up to Miami this Saturday, I have a 7-on-7 tournament, so I’m hoping I'll have time to see some of the coaches.”

Speaking of recruiting trips, Dunn recently took a visit to Tennessee last weekend after landing an offer from the Vols, and he seemed to enjoy his time in Knoxville.

“I liked what they told me about their coaching staff,” Dunn said of Tennessee. “Their coaching staff is amazing with how many players they’ve put in the NFL alone. They have a really good DB coach and head coach (Jeremy) Pruitt was also a DB coach too. Definitely the facilities are crazy, I love their dorms. But that’s only one school I’ve visited so I’m trying to get around and see if I like anything better.”

As of now, Dunn is planning on getting to see a few more schools during the spring, narrow down a top list, and make his decision during the summer months.

“I want to get it out of the way so I can focus on my craft and my senior season,” Dunn said. “Definitely will be looking at the coaching staff, I like the schools that will put me in a good position to play the position that I love. I take dorm rooms into consideration. I’d like to have a good set up with some privacy.”

While coaches and facilities will be priorities for Dunn in looking for his school of choice, he says distance from home is not likely to be a factor.

“I’m actually originally from Atlanta, Georgia, I moved to Kentucky in 9th grade,” Dunn said. “I’m not really a homesick type of person.”

During his junior campaign, Dunn felt he tangibly improved his game while helping lead South Warren to a 10-2 record in 2019.

“I think I did pretty good,” Dunn said. “I completed a lot of the goals that I was trying to accomplish, and I’m proud of myself because I went through the whole summer before and worked my butt off. It’s just nice to see that hard work really pay off.

“I had a certain amount of yards I wanted at receiver, at least 300, and I hit that. I had about 360 yards, 15 catches, 6 TD’s, which was up from 2 catches last year. I really exceeded my goals and I was really proud of myself for that. Also, defensive tackling – I don’t know exactly how many tackles I had, but I know it was a lot more than sophomore year. I just think it’s really important for me to climb and improve each year going through life and it’s important for me to take my experience and try and advance.”

What parts of his game will he be focusing on during the upcoming offseason?

“Most definitely going to be working on a lot of coverage and some man-to-man stuff,” Dunn said. “Going to be working on my footwork, my routes, just everything that is involved with what I play to get prepared for the college level.”

Throws his body around....I'll take it..
Very little fear too!!

W/ so many south florida cbs ducking us we must land a 6'2 'cane legacy that runs a 4.55 w/ a 4.15 shuttle and 40 inch vertical. Have to stop losing these battles

****, I hadn't looked at his speed numbers just his highlights. Just saw these and checked 247, and they verified the times. This kid is a horse. How on earth is he a three star?

Advertisement
Don’t think he’s a take at OSU at the moment they big fish hunting at every position & getting majority of the targets. If they miss out on a DB higher on their board and he gets the green light he’s committing.
He fits the mold in what osu look for athletically at db which is elite athletes on the backend. Sign me up for Dunn with Miami. Good to see he doesn’t have Kentucky in his lists of teams in it for him too

Don’t think he’s a take at OSU at the moment they big fish hunting at every position & getting majority of the targets. If they miss out on a DB higher on their board and he gets the green light he’s committing.
Bingo. We can't beat out OSU head to head for a db they covet so we gotta hope they land other big fish first. But I wouldn't be surprised if we're running 2nd right now which hopefully turns into 1st via default.

an ohio state + texas writer CB'd him to OSU earlier this month FWIW. But that was before Devonta Smith and Jakailin Johnson, corners, committed there.

Looks like OSU is about to land Kamar Wilcoxson who is a db who decommitted from UF and they have two safety commits. That's 5 DBs already, so we'll see who serious their interest is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
If Ohio taint even took the time to receive his film and throw out a preliminary offer it means he’s semi legit at the very least. Want. I could care less about Oklahoma. They wouldn’t know a defender if it bit em in the ***

I think the fact his pops played ball at Miami puts us in a very good spot.

Our toughest competition will be between Oklahoma (who has other targets they're after at CB & S) & Tennessee.

Tenn has been a thorn in our side in these types of matchups, if we can get him down for a visit once recruiting reopens & continue to build the relationship I think we can pull him.

But it's always gonna be a tough battle to get a Kentucky kid to turn down Tennessee even if he's a legacy.

an ohio state + texas writer CB'd him to OSU earlier this month FWIW. But that was before Devonta Smith and Jakailin Johnson, corners, committed there.

Looks like OSU is about to land Kamar Wilcoxson who is a db who decommitted from UF and they have two safety commits. That's 5 DBs already, so we'll see who serious their interest is.

That’s exactly why he doesn’t have the green light at the moment, if Wilcoxson decides to go elsewhere which ain’t happening at this moment it’s Dunn’s. OSU pressed the decommit on Wilcoxson or he was losing his spot he has a time frame to commit or he’s losing it as well. OSU only taking two more DBs and one is Grimes out of Virginia he has a spot no matter what/whenever they might switch it to only taking one more DB depending how other positions fill out in their recruiting class. I know a HC that knows Dunn’s HC up here in Kentucky. Don’t sleep on Tennessee here they are a legit threat.

From Steve Wiltfong, 247, interview today:

The programs still in the thick of it for the four-star Dunn includes Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee and USC.

“I was very cautious with my decision,” Dunn told 247Sports. “Just talking to the coaches and feeling how they’re feeling about me and just showing the determination that they actually want me and they need me and stuff like that.”

In March, Dunn got a chance to visit Louisville and then Ohio State before the Coronavirus has the NCAA impose a mandated recruiting dead period.

“Louisville I love the campus,” Dunn started in. “I have a great relationship with all the coaches. All the coaches follow me and I’ve had a conversation with all of them too. When I went on the visit they were very welcoming. They showed me around the whole place. They talked about the academics and where you can study and get that individual learning in. I just felt home there and it’s home. It’s really close.
“We also talked about some defensive schemes and went over what I’d be doing if I attended that school which is really good for me. It’s like playing free safety. Just that Cover 3 type stuff. A lot of stuff we actually do as a team for South Warren Coach (ShaDon) Brown showed me and they actually do at Louisville too which is very convenient.”

Ohio State has seen some movement on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

“I felt very welcomed there,” Dunn said. “I have a good relationship with Coach (Matt) Barnes and Coach (Kerry) Coombs and also Coach (Ryan) Day. I talk with them almost on a daily basis. When I went to the spring practice I also learned a lot about their defense. We also looked at the guys in my position, the nickel, linebacker/safety. As we all know they’re a top-tier team. I love the way they play and I feel I can really succeed as a defensive player over there.”

Dunn had to cancel his April official to Oklahoma which would’ve been his first time in Norman.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to make it over there this summer and check it out,” Dunn said. “I have a good relationship with the whole defensive staff and also the head coach. I’d say I have one of my best relationships with them also. I feel like they have a really good program. I feel like they can be better on the defensive side. They have new coaches and they’ve improved on their defense a whole lot and that’s why I’m considering them a lot. Coach (Roy) Manning seems like a good coach.”

Dunn has also been able to make it over to Tennessee and swing by Miami.

“When I went on my Tennessee visit, one of the different things with them they went over defensive drills and they went over practice and game film with us,” Dunn explained. “They asked us questions and tried to see what we know football wise and I liked it. Coach (Derrick) Ansley also went over defensive stuff with me. I feel they’re a really good program. I also feel I can succeed there and get early playing time.”

“Miami I went over there and they have a really nice facility.” Dunn’s father played basketball for the Hurricanes. “Coach (Mike) Rumph he played in the NFL and I feel like he would develop me as a player. I really don’t know much about Miami’s football team or last year’s season but from what Coach Rumph told me they can really develop me from past players he’s developed.”

Georgia Tech and USC are two schools Dunn looks forward to learning more about.

“Atlanta that’s my home town and I lived in Atlanta and I also have a good relationship with all the coaches. I was raised in Atlanta but never been to Georgia Tech. Hopefully I can made it down there.

“USC I had a good talk with the safeties coach, Coach (Craig) Naiver, he went over some stuff he did at Texas and showed me some of the players he coached up that came in early and succeeded and even won the Thorpe Award which was really impressive to me. Coach (Clay) Helton talked to me about the academic scale and how good the education is.”

Dunn said there are now favorites among the seven.

“I’d say guaranteed right now for sure official visits Oklahoma and Louis
ville,” he added.

Advertisement
**** I figured when he said dorms were important that we had a leg up on top of his pops connection.

Advertisement
Bradenton (FL) IMG Academy DB Kamar Wilcoxson is a recent Florida decommitment.

And the Hurricanes are pushing hard to try and get into his picture.

“I just talked with coach (Mike) Rumph and (Ephraim) Banda,” Wilcoxon said. “I’m talking with Miami a minimum of three times a week. They’re recruiting me hard.

“They tell me I can be another big player in the State of Florida, play with Avantae (Williams).”

While Wilcoxson says “there’s a decent shot for Miami” because “that’s where I’m from, so that’s home,” he also says it’s Ohio State that’s atop his list right now.

“They’re really thin at corner and coach (Kerry) Coombs, the way he develops players is second to none,” Wilcoxson said.

So maybe it’s not surprising that Wilcoxson says UM’s chances really will ride on the coaches.

“Miami really just has to prove to me that coach (Mike) Rumph can develop (players),” Wilcoxson said. “We have to have a sit down, long conversation about that. I want to hear about the players he’s developed.”

He says there’s no timetable on making a new commitment and regardless he says he’ll take several visits.

“Miami is one I plan on visiting,” Wilcoxson said, adding “When I feel a place is home, then that’s home.”

“I just talked with coach (Mike) Rumph and (Ephraim) Banda,” Wilcoxon said. “I’m talking with Miami a minimum of three times a week. They’re recruiting me hard.

“They tell me I can be another big player in the State of Florida, play with Avantae (Williams).”

While Wilcoxson says “there’s a decent shot for Miami” because “that’s where I’m from, so that’s home,” he also says it’s Ohio State that’s atop his list right now.

“They’re really thin at corner and coach (Kerry) Coombs, the way he develops players is second to none,” Wilcoxson said.

So maybe it’s not surprising that Wilcoxson says UM’s chances really will ride on the coaches.

“Miami really just has to prove to me that coach (Mike) Rumph can develop (players),” Wilcoxson said. “We have to have a sit down, long conversation about that. I want to hear about the players he’s developed.”

He says there’s no timetable on making a new commitment and regardless he says he’ll take several visits.

“Miami is one I plan on visiting,” Wilcoxson said, adding “When I feel a place is home, then that’s home.”
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a convo between him & Rumph

Miami really just has to prove to me that coach (Mike) Rumph can develop (players),” Wilcoxson said. “We have to have a sit down, long conversation about that. I want to hear about the players he’s developed.”

giphy.gif

Yea that ones done.

Advertisement
Back