2022 New ‘22 offer - Jack Pyburn - commits to UiF

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not wrestling freestyle in that video either. That is folk style wrestling, which may as well be an entirely different sport than freestyle wrestling. I don't think his technique would translate to the BJJ world either. He's winning matches there mostly based on being stronger and a naturally better athlete than his competition. His technique leaves a lot to be desired. His double leg take down shots are lazy and would get his face planted in the mat by any opponent with skill. This kid would be an also ran in any of PA, IA, IL, OH, WI or MN.
With his strength yes he could definitely transition to BJJ with the right teacher he would be more than fine.

I’ve been a practitioner for 6 years, I’ve seen kids who were way smaller, way weaker with no background in wrestling at all become skilled grapplers with a year or 2 of proper teaching. All he would need to learn is how to pass guard from different positions in mount & he’d be good to go, although he’d probably get leg locked quite a bit until he learned how to defend against it.

And of course he would get washed by most Midwest & Northeast wrestlers, that’s literally their culture, those kids from those regions live & breath wrestling like kids in the Southeast live & breathe Football.

I wasn’t saying he can be an Olympic wrestler or even college level, my exact comment was he has a future as grappler if Football don’t work out, which is true, take him to a legit BJJ teacher & they would be more than happy to work with a kid that has his natural strength.

Advertisement
He's not wrestling freestyle in that video either. That is folk style wrestling, which may as well be an entirely different sport than freestyle wrestling. I don't think his technique would translate to the BJJ world either. He's winning matches there mostly based on being stronger and a naturally better athlete than his competition. His technique leaves a lot to be desired. His double leg take down shots are lazy and would get his face planted in the mat by any opponent with skill. This kid would be an also ran in any of PA, IA, IL, OH, WI or MN.
I wrestled in Ohio (Toledo St Johns) and this kid would have decimated me. I wrestled at 138 lbs tho

I wrestled in Ohio (Toledo St Johns) and this kid would have decimated me. I wrestled at 138 lbs tho
Yeah, of course. Big weight difference there. But this kid would get totally decimated by the state place winners in all the states I mentioned, probably across all divisions within those states too.

Advertisement

I'm gonna take a wild swing at this, but based on where his from and that country music...
Do you think he'd fit in? Or is this a case of Mario just turning culture around at the U and saying "I don't care, you work hard and you can play? You're in and if the other guys don't like it then they should work just as hard?"

With his strength yes he could definitely transition to BJJ with the right teacher he would be more than fine.

I’ve been a practitioner for 6 years, I’ve seen kids who were way smaller, way weaker with no background in wrestling at all become skilled grapplers with a year or 2 of proper teaching. All he would need to learn is how to pass guard from different positions in mount & he’d be good to go, although he’d probably get leg locked quite a bit until he learned how to defend against it.

And of course he would get washed by most Midwest & Northeast wrestlers, that’s literally their culture, those kids from those regions live & breath wrestling like kids in the Southeast live & breathe Football.

I wasn’t saying he can be an Olympic wrestler or even college level, my exact comment was he has a future as grappler if Football don’t work out, which is true, take him to a legit BJJ teacher & they would be more than happy to work with a kid that has his natural strength.
Bjj among other sports like that. Smaller weaker guys learn the techniques better. Bigger strong dudes usually lack technique and relay on using strength

Yeeeeeeeeeah, wont get my hopes up here. This kid could literally pull a "Teraz McCrary" on any school he commits to and flip to UF 10min before hes slated to sign his NLI if they call him. And UF knows that too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
if we had 7 of him on our front 7 we'd have the #1 defense in the nation, no more watching our boys get overpowered and plowed over on Run D

Last edited:
Advertisement
Any update on Cactus Jack?
bang bang sport GIF by WWE

So is this kid visiting anywhere this month? He got some big offers, what's his plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back