Net Rankings Please Explain

Advertisement
Is there any point to playing a tough OOC schedule with the way NET is set up as long as you're in a good conference? LSU is 21-10, 9-9 in the SEC but have a NET of 17. Their OOC schedule is really, really bad.

Louisiana-Monroe
Texas State
Liberty
McNeese
Belmont
Penn State
Wake Forest
Ohio
Georgia Tech
Northwestern State
Lipscomb

Is there any point to playing a tough OOC schedule with the way NET is set up as long as you're in a good conference? LSU is 21-10, 9-9 in the SEC but have a NET of 17. Their OOC schedule is really, really bad.

Louisiana-Monroe
Texas State
Liberty
McNeese
Belmont
Penn State
Wake Forest
Ohio
Georgia Tech
Northwestern State
Lipscomb
It isn't great, but I wouldn't consider that an awful OOC, and I don't think it's all that different from our OOC schedule. You are missing two of their better opponents in that list with TCU and Louisiana Tech.

It may not be strong at the top (Wake and TCU are the only at large caliber tourney teams), but there are only 4 teams that I would consider awful - UL Monroe, McNeese, Northwestern St., and Lipscomb. Texas St., Liberty, Belmont, Ohio, and Louisiana Tech are all 20 win teams that are rated in the 80-120 range or so (similar to clubs like Syracuse and Florida St.) LSU beat four of those five by 15+, with Louisiana Tech the only one to keep it within single digits at 9.

If you want an awful OOC schedule, Wake Forest is the one to look at.

Not sure how I missed those, but LA Tech, while 18-9, has a NET of 104. It's not a great OOC schedule regardless. Their non-conference SOS is 108. You're right about Wake. Their OOC SOS is 343. Ours is 130.

My point still stands. NET is dumb. I can't believe they take into account defensive efficiency and stuff like that. Do they factor in margin of victory? If so, that's dumb too, since we were up 30 on Pitt and took the foot off the gas. Same with BC.

Not sure how I missed those, but LA Tech, while 18-9, has a NET of 104. It's not a great OOC schedule regardless. Their non-conference SOS is 108. You're right about Wake. Their OOC SOS is 343. Ours is 130.

My point still stands. NET is dumb. I can't believe they take into account defensive efficiency and stuff like that. Do they factor in margin of victory? If so, that's dumb too, since we were up 30 on Pitt and took the foot off the gas. Same with BC.
Sports are relying on these bs metrics and analytics instead of using your actual eye balls. It’s an excuse for these selection committees and analysts to not watch all the teams/games and make an excuse to why certain teams made it and others didn’t.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back