Nesta Silvera vs. Cardinal Gibbons

View as article
I like his first step and lateral movement, but am concerned about pad level and overuse of bull rush.

What’s awesome about the above noted, the first two can’t be taught and are the most important things being a DL, while the other two can be taught.

100%.
That's why people need to slow down a little bit with all the excitement. He's gonna need to be coached up when he gets here. He's extremely raw and one-dimensional right now... and that one dimension doesn't work on the next level. I've seen film of him at camps getting absolutely nowhere trying that bull-rush stuff against legit linemen. The good news is that the traits he has are uncoachable. He's freakishly strong and explosive and has a nasty demeanor. I think he probably knows how to use other tools but he genuinely enjoys putting his hands on people and moving them.

Honestly the fact that what he needs to work on is pad level and adding more moves to his ****nal is the exact reason for all the excitement IMO. Like you said, a lot of what he has you can't teach. Technique is big for DL, but at the end of the day it's a straight up battle of will, strength, and athleticism in the trenches. Nesta has all of that in spades. He has one of the better bullrushes I've seen from a HS DT prospect. Now add some of Kool's coaching to that and I see him being an absolute menace by his sophomore year

Advertisement
I like his first step and lateral movement, but am concerned about pad level and overuse of bull rush.

What’s awesome about the above noted, the first two can’t be taught and are the most important things being a DL, while the other two can be taught.

100%.
That's why people need to slow down a little bit with all the excitement. He's gonna need to be coached up when he gets here. He's extremely raw and one-dimensional right now... and that one dimension doesn't work on the next level. I've seen film of him at camps getting absolutely nowhere trying that bull-rush stuff against legit linemen. The good news is that the traits he has are uncoachable. He's freakishly strong and explosive and has a nasty demeanor. I think he probably knows how to use other tools but he genuinely enjoys putting his hands on people and moving them.

Yeah, agreed with all the above. During his true freshmen year, the coaches can do one o two things:

1) Redshirt him and work on the above noted and get into the S&C program (since we do have a formidable amount of depth at DT); or
2) Get him in the two deep rotation at NT, but he'd be a guy who would come on late 3rd quarter and 4th quarter and bully tired offensive linemen.

Now the benefits of the first are quite obvious, long term he'll be a GREAT player in all facets of a NT, but we lose depth at the position and he could become disgruntled (I'm going based on the South Florida attitude the board preaches, I know nothing about this, I live in Northern Ontario in Canada).
The cost and benefit analysis of throwing him in there as a true freshmen are, base don the prognosis I gave is, he continues his trend of wanting to bull rush often and let Coach Kul coach him throughout the season at that time and hope to see an improvement.

It'll be interesting how his progression comes along, lots of good traits that he has, prototypical build, great lateral movement, a mean streak, a great first step and good use of hands (which those are absolutely instrumental to being an elite NT overtime), but his mean streak has its negative within the constant bullrush and the pad level thing is the hardest to overcome.

Dude is not redshirting

100%.

Honestly the fact that what he needs to work on is pad level and adding more moves to his ****nal is the exact reason for all the excitement IMO. Like you said, a lot of what he has you can't teach. Technique is big for DL, but at the end of the day it's a straight up battle of will, strength, and athleticism in the trenches. Nesta has all of that in spades. He has one of the better bullrushes I've seen from a HS DT prospect. Now add some of Kool's coaching to that and I see him being an absolute menace by his sophomore year

That's EXACTLY why we should be excited about Nesta. He's abusing good competition on just pure anger and hate. Wait till he gets coached up by the best DL coach in the country.

100%.

That's EXACTLY why we should be excited about Nesta. He's abusing good competition on just pure anger and hate. Wait till he gets coached up by the best DL coach in the country.

When he bull rushed or used this "anger and hate", that's a new technique I haven't seen, I didn't see him abuse anyone, in this clip at least.

100%.

When he bull rushed or used this "anger and hate", that's a new technique I haven't seen, I didn't see him abuse anyone, in this clip at least.

You're right. He's not abusing anyone.

Hit me with that science! Let's overanalyze Nesta into being a marginal prospect because he dominates good competition with no technique.

Advertisement
100%.

Hit me with that science! Let's overanalyze Nesta into being a marginal prospect because he dominates good competition with no technique.

Calm down. I'm just saying he has things work on. Every major prospect has deficiencies and strengths, I've pointed out both. At least you agree he didn't abuse anyone.

As stated before both issues are easily fixable. If he worked on lower pad level, his bullrushes would work significantly more often. Once again as stated before both of those things are coach-able, but the strengths he does have are not coach-able, which is why he's a major prospect.

Fans are allowed to analyze without Miami glasses on, that';s the benefit of being a fan. Ken Norton and RJ McInstosh have there issues as well. That's life of a athlete, always got things to work on.

Calm down. I'm just saying he has things work on. Every major prospect has deficiencies and strengths, I've pointed out both. At least you agree he didn't abuse anyone.

As stated before both issues are easily fixable. If he worked on lower pad level, his bullrushes would work significantly more often. Once again as stated before both of those things are coach-able, but the strengths he does have are not coach-able, which is why he's a major prospect.

Fans are allowed to analyze without Miami glasses on, that';s the benefit of being a fan. Ken Norton and RJ McInstosh have there issues as well. That's life of a athlete, always got things to work on.

And here I was thinking a HS kid has nothing to work on to be great at the college level. Thanks for straightening me out.

And here I was thinking a HS kid has nothing to work on to be great at the college level. Thanks for straightening me out.

Add him to the "cool guy" list. It's the in thing to **** on our own players & recruits.

Add him to the "cool guy" list. It's the in thing to **** on our own players & recruits.
He likes to act like a clinician. Silvera isn't a finished product yet. Well, no ****.

He's a goddam animal though. Give me interior guys who play angry and like to break the other guy's will, and I can get him schooled up on some pass rush moves and technique.

Advertisement

He likes to act like a clinician. Silvera isn't a finished product yet. Well, no ****.

He's a goddam animal though. Give me interior guys who play angry and like to break the other guy's will, and I can get him schooled up on some pass rush moves and technique.
The argument is absurd quite honestly. Some guys have that rare trait blessed by only the football Gods to out will others to victory. Micheal Jordan had it. Ed Reed had it. It's that thing you see in only the best. The 100% knowing they are going to beat you. Not taking no for an answer. Some have more of this then others. Obviously technique helps but not being a total ***** always does to. Some of you wouldn't know tho. Not saying Nesta is all world but he always shows why coach Kool and the rest of College football elite wants him so badly. He's a f#%&!ng beast! Like franchise quite nicely put it. Carry on.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Silvera had 3 sacks and multiple tfls tonight . His stats for this season are incredible....

Nasty Nesta is gonna be a problem for opposing QB’s OL’d and RB’s at the next level.

He plays with bad intentions.

He would fit right in during the eras when Deacon Jones and **** Butkus played.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back