Nesta enters portal

It’s got to be a team chemistry issue. There’s been lots of rumors about Nesta not getting along with some guys.

I definitely don’t think it’s a scheme issue. The dude was playing two gap NT in high school and it’s where I’ve always thought he should have been playing. He’s 6’1” 305 so while not enormous he’s more than big enough to split 0tech snaps with Jordan Miller (who btw, is pretty much the only NT on the roster now). Maybe he has delusions of grandeur where he believes he’s Warren Sapp and should be rushing the passer on every play but 2 sacks in 4 seasons say otherwise. I don’t know. He wasn’t a star but he was a solid contributor who played hard at a position we have zero depth. Anybody celebrating him leaving either doesn’t pay attention to the roster or is waaaay to into their feelings over the kid.

Advertisement
I’m hard on Pope b/c, man, he was the #1 WR we wanted!! But yeah, maybe mediocre vs. bust for him; irredisregardless, this class, man. U can’t win with these type of “on-paper” classes that either don’t live up to the rankings or fall apart. SMH. Chit is sad af to revisit these classes. I thought the class of ‘16 was going to be a foundational piece, and from ‘17-18, we were going to take off. All these classes folded w/ the exception of one - two guys/class who held the banner, while the others either flamed out or never lived up to the billing.
Can you say the word in bold again please??? LMAO!!!.... Sorry , that made me do a double take....

It’s got to be a team chemistry issue. There’s been lots of rumors about Nesta not getting along with some guys.

I definitely don’t think it’s a scheme issue. The dude was playing two gap NT in high school and it’s where I’ve always thought he should have been playing. He’s 6’1” 305 so while not enormous he’s more than big enough to split 0tech snaps with Jordan Miller (who btw, is pretty much the only NT on the roster now). Maybe he has delusions of grandeur where he believes he’s Warren Sapp and should be rushing the passer on every play but 2 sacks in 4 seasons say otherwise. I don’t know. He wasn’t a star but he was a solid contributor who played hard at a position we have zero depth. Anybody celebrating him leaving either doesn’t pay attention to the roster or is waaaay to into their feelings over the kid.

In the Power 5, he's pretty replacement level. He's an (on average) 25 tackle, 4 TFL, .5 sack a year iDL. For comparison, that's on the Tito Odenigbo spectrum of production. He was a bit more than that in 2020, to be fair, but I'm not sure he a level up from a Tito type. He's fine and all and I think he's given about as much as he could here, but I don't think there is much more at the P5 level. It is why I mentioned last night in this thread, if he wanted to showcase himself more, he'd drop down to Group of 5, because I think he'd put up some good numbers at that level that might mirror or best what we got from him in 2020.

He's not really a draftable player right now. Might get some camp invites, but he's a pretty run of the mill playertype that the NFL really doesn't use much of anymore.

Advertisement
Undersized nose tackle was not in the plans for the defense that Mario is trying to run , it’s officially Leonard Taylor season.
I think Nesta would have fit more like Jernigan did in Pruitt's scheme. Explosive player but not nearly as consistent as Jernigan was.

Hmmm really? Just now? Wow!! That's something!!

I remember the great game he had against.... er... er..who was that? ...you remember....Oh Maybe it was just my imagination

I hate to lose ANYONE.......BUT I honestly thought he had transferred out of here long ago.

So he's really outta here huh?

Oh Well.:noidea:.....you can't miss who you can't even remember being around

Last edited:
In the Power 5, he's pretty replacement level. He's an (on average) 25 tackle, 4 TFL, .5 sack a year iDL. For comparison, that's on the Tito Odenigbo spectrum of production. He was a bit more than that in 2020, to be fair, but I'm not sure he a level up from a Tito type. He's fine and all and I think he's given about as much as he could here, but I don't think there is much more at the P5 level. It is why I mentioned last night in this thread, if he wanted to showcase himself more, he'd drop down to Group of 5, because I think he'd put up some good numbers at that level that might mirror or best what we got from him in 2020.

He's not really a draftable player right now. Might get some camp invites, but he's a pretty run of the mill playertype that the NFL really doesn't use much of anymore.
It’s not even about being an NFL player. He’s not nearly athletic enough for a guy his size. Maybe he could pad his stats at a g5 school but it won’t change the fact that he’s not quick enough to be a penetrating tackle and he’s not big enough to be a space eater.

I’m more concerned about Miami’s lack of depth at the position because the only guys they have that can play 1 or 0 are Jordan Miller, who hasn’t done much and Allen Haye who hasn’t played at all. Even if they decide to go with an even front defense, they can’t run Taylor and Harrison Hunt out there at tackle and not expect to get shoved around.

I’m happy he was smart enough to hit the portal instead of declaring. We haven’t seen smarts like that here in a long time, if ever.

Good luck to him. Thank you for your service.
Agree with all those sentiments. Still, another local lineman who, in the Fortson tradition, was either over-hyped or unable to live up to what was hoped for here. The potential is still there and maybe he'll still realize it more fully elsewhere.

Advertisement
We don’t even have a DC. How we know what scheme? I’m not calling anyone out, honestly asking
We have one. Leeds keeps disagreeing with everyone saying that. So he’s either being a douche, knows something or knows something and is being a douche by trying to be clever…🤔

Lmao chasing some small bag

Please no more slurping on nestas attitude on here. I appreciate his effort but for what we envisioned when he signed? major letdown
STFU. Everybody bashes kids for leaving and say he sucked blah blah blah. Guarantee If he announced he was returning the same people would say " He's gonna be a beast this year, glad he came back".. We don't know him personally or know what he has going on.. Be better people.

Brethren, I said the same thing. I look for yr 1 to be a bumpy road. We have “pieces”, but as a whole, we have holes. (Pun intended)

That’s why it ****ed me tf off seeing ppl on here saying Manny left Mario w/ talent.

Also, revisiting the esteemed class of 2018 (#8 rated class)

Categories: N/A (b/c they barely or didn’t play b4 transferring), Bust, Mediocre, Decent, Solid, Good, Great:

1. 5* #2 RB Lingard - N/A (Transferred to UF)

2. 4* #1 TE Jordan - Decent Career, Injury filled (NFL)

3. 4* #2 DT Silvera - Decent Career (Transfer)

4. 4* #11 WR Pope - Bust (Transfer)

5. 4* #5 QB Williams - Bust (Transfer)

6. 4* #12 CB Blades Jr - Mediocre Career (maybe retired?)

7. 4* #5 OG Scaife - Mediocre Career

8. 4* #27 WR Hightower - N/A (Transferred)

9. 4* #7 RB Harris - Solid Career

10. 4* #15 S Hall - Bust

11. 4* #21 CB Frierson - Solid Career

12. 4* #8 TE Mallory - Decent Career

13. 4* #12 OG Reed - Bust

14. 4* #19 WR Ezzard - N/A (transferred)

15. 4* #32 CB Ivey - Mediocre Career

16. 3* #77 WR Wiggins - Bust (transfer)

17. 3* #36 OT Campbell - Bust

18. 3* #27 DE Rousseau - Great Season

19. 3* #39 DE Joyner - Bust (transferred)

20. 3* #89 DT Miller - Mediocre Career

21. 3* #113 CB Bethel - N/A (transferred)

22. 3* #2 FB George - N/A (transferred)

23. 3* #14 K Baxa - Bust (transferred)

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes!

moved to tears crying GIF

Advertisement
I know many on here say who cares, but I do. We are trying to build depth and while he hasn't been an All-American, he has been serviceable, and provides depth for a season while we start building the trenches. I would have preferred he stayed one more season. If Mario is looking for bigger guys inside, kick him outside for a season.

If im him i go to Pitt. Him n Kalijah Kancey would be problems.
Or like @DMoney said a pac 12 team he would eat out there.

Yall clamoring for JHH and LT will be in for a rude awakening....BOTH need ALOT of weight room work..JHH more than LT...They both get pushed around alot in the run game. Both are real good pass rushers at an early age..mainly LT with his swim move.

This team will DEFINATELY need portal DTS.

Dont think this has anything to do with Mario considering they likely only had a team meeting or something with the break. He aint had no time to crack the whip...and what scheme he doesnt fit? we dont even have a dc lol
Anyone watching the tape would see he was our best dt last szn.

Can argue best defender, too. These guys are on another planet with this ****. Half the plays the point out to him "messing up" or "taking off" he was asked to slant across 17 gaps or some other stupid ****, and the other half of the time, he actually got there.

Advertisement
Can argue best defender, too. These guys are on another planet with this ****. Half the plays the point out to him "messing up" or "taking off" he was asked to slant across 17 gaps or some other stupid ****, and the other half of the time, he actually got there.
He even got a lot better at getting his head and shoulders turned around when he would shoot a gap and the play was to the other direction. Whereas he would run himself out of plays a lot in 2020, he played under control a lot more in 2021.
So? Our DL was the worst it had been in years, and everyone got fired. Being the hottest girl in the ugly school doesn't make you pretty.

LT
JHH
Lichtenstein
TBD Portal

Will all or most be ahead of Nesta. Smart move by the kid.

Next deflection.
None of those guys play DT in an odd front. Nor do any of them play the 1 technique in an even front.

We desperately need a real NT/DT in the portal now.

He even got a lot better at getting his head and shoulders turned around when he would shoot a gap and the play was to the other direction. Whereas he would run himself out of plays a lot in 2020, he played under control a lot more in 2021.

None of those guys play DT in an odd front. Nor do any of them play the 1 technique in an even front.

We desperately need a real NT/DT in the portal now.

Nor can Nesta. And see "TBD Portal."

Brethren, I said the same thing. I look for yr 1 to be a bumpy road. We have “pieces”, but as a whole, we have holes. (Pun intended)

That’s why it ****ed me tf off seeing ppl on here saying Manny left Mario w/ talent.

Also, revisiting the esteemed class of 2018 (#8 rated class)

Categories: N/A (b/c they barely or didn’t play b4 transferring), Bust, Mediocre, Decent, Solid, Good, Great:

1. 5* #2 RB Lingard - N/A (Transferred to UF)

2. 4* #1 TE Jordan - Decent Career, Injury filled (NFL)

3. 4* #2 DT Silvera - Decent Career (Transfer)

4. 4* #11 WR Pope - Bust (Transfer)

5. 4* #5 QB Williams - Bust (Transfer)

6. 4* #12 CB Blades Jr - Mediocre Career (maybe retired?)

7. 4* #5 OG Scaife - Mediocre Career

8. 4* #27 WR Hightower - N/A (Transferred)

9. 4* #7 RB Harris - Solid Career

10. 4* #15 S Hall - Bust

11. 4* #21 CB Frierson - Solid Career

12. 4* #8 TE Mallory - Decent Career

13. 4* #12 OG Reed - Bust

14. 4* #19 WR Ezzard - N/A (transferred)

15. 4* #32 CB Ivey - Mediocre Career

16. 3* #77 WR Wiggins - Bust (transfer)

17. 3* #36 OT Campbell - Bust

18. 3* #27 DE Rousseau - Great Season

19. 3* #39 DE Joyner - Bust (transferred)

20. 3* #89 DT Miller - Mediocre Career

21. 3* #113 CB Bethel - N/A (transferred)

22. 3* #2 FB George - N/A (transferred)

23. 3* #14 K Baxa - Bust (transferred)

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes!
You give Bama that same class and 3 times the amount of guys pan out.. why? Coaching and development. People cannot sit there and tell me the #8 ranked class was butt because they were all busts!! We didn’t magically choose all those busts and put them together, zero chance! We did not develop them and half transferred because they were not feeling the coaches or whatever their reason was it could have been avoided. Most were used wrong and not put into positions to succeed. It’s quite sad actually.

I’m hard on Pope b/c, man, he was the #1 WR we wanted!! But yeah, maybe mediocre vs. bust for him; irredisregardless, this class, man. U can’t win with these type of “on-paper” classes that either don’t live up to the rankings or fall apart. SMH. Chit is sad af to revisit these classes. I thought the class of ‘16 was going to be a foundational piece, and from ‘17-18, we were going to take off. All these classes folded w/ the exception of one - two guys/class who held the banner, while the others either flamed out or never lived up to the billing.
Coaching and development my guy. They were not “on paper” classes. That means all the worlds experts overrated all these kids and we magically got and put all of them together.. nah we just did not develop them.

Advertisement
Back