Need some help! I'm with an old Wash Huskies fan who claims that his 91' team had more NFL Draft picks than our 91 team

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
And, of course, he claims that the Huskies would've beaten the Canes in 91'. I told him that they didn't play anyone with an elite D that year and we played a couple of teams like that. I think our D's athleticism would've been a shock to their O and our elite speed on the outside on O, would've been too much for their CB's to handle.

Anyway, does anyone know how many players went to the NFL from our 91' team?

Advertisement
Over the next two years the teams had the following:

Miami: 15 draft picks with 2 1st rounders (Leon Searcy, Darryl Williams)
Washington: 17 draft picks with 3 1st rounders (Steve Emtman number 1 overall, Lincoln Kennedy, Dana Hall)

Over the next three years

Miami: 17 draft picks with 2 1st rounders
Washington: 18 draft picks with 3 1st rounders

Over the next four years

Miami: 24 draft picks with 3 1st rounders (Warren Sapp)
Washington: 23 draft picks with 5 1st rounders (Napoleon Kaufman, Mark Bruener)

Last edited:
And, of course, he claims that the Huskies would've beaten the Canes in 91'. I told him that they didn't play anyone with an elite D that year and we played a couple of teams like that. I think our D's athleticism would've been a shock to their O and our elite speed on the outside on O, would've been too much for their CB's to handle.

Do you mean the number of draft picks from the 1992 draft or total number of players that eventually got drafted who were on the 1991 roster?

Do you mean the number of draft picks from the 1992 draft or total number of players that eventually got drafted who were on the 1991 roster?
I mean all of the draft picks eventually went to the league. It didn't have to be just in the 92' draft.

Over the next two years the teams had the following:

Miami: 17 draft picks with 4 1st rounders (Russell Maryland number 1 overall, Randal Hill, Leon Searcy, Darryl Williams)
Washington: 16 draft picks with 2 1st rounders (Steve Emtman number 1 overall, Dana Hall)
Russell Maryland and Randall Hill graduated in 1990. Neither of them played on the 91 championship team.

Advertisement
1992 draft (12 round draft)
Miami - 6 draftees - 2 first-rounders, a fourth-rounder, a tenth-rounder, and 2 twelfth-rounders
Washington - 11 draftees - 2 first-rounders, 3 third-rounders, a fifth-rounder, a ninth-rounder, an eleventh-rounder, and 2 twelfth-rounders
For 1992, Washington wins on quantity

1993 draft (8 round draft)
Miami - 9 draftees - 4 second-rounders, a third-rounder, a fourth-rounder, a sixth-rounder, a seventh-rounder, and an eighth-rounder
Washington - 6 draftees - a first-rounder, a third-rounder, a fourth-rounder, a fifth-rounder, and 2 sixth-rounders
For 1993, Miami wins on quantity, and this is why Miami played in consecutive NC games, while Washington faded

1994 draft (7 round draft)
Miami - 2 draftees - a second rounder and a fifth rounder
Washington - 1 draftee - a fifth rounder
For 1994, Miami

1995 draft (7 round draft)
Miami - 7 draftees - a first-rounder, a second-rounder, a third-rounder, a fourth-rounder, a fifth-rounder, and 2 seventh-rounders
Washington - 5 draftees - 2 first-rounders, 2 fourth-rounders, and a fifth-rounder
For 1995, a push

Miami - 24 picks
Washington - 23 picks

The only year in which Washington had an NFL draft edge over Miami was 1992, the draft right after the 1991 season.

For the record, Russell Maryland and Randal Hill were drafted in 1991, the draft right before the 1991 season.

Just looking at the 1992 NFL draft, Miami had:

2 first rounders (Leon Searcy, Darryl Williams)

Craig Erickson(?) in the 4th round (did he play in some other league for a season before entering the NFL draft?)

Anthony Hamlet in the 10th round

Kelvin Harris and Carlos Huerta in the 12th round

Holy ****, I forgot how long the draft used to be.

1993 Draft was loaded with UM players though.

Ryan McNeil, Kevin Williams, Mike Barrow and Darrin Smith all drafted in the 2nd round

Lamar Thomas 3rd

Horace Copeland 4th

Carlos Etheridge 5th

Gino Toretta 7th

Jesse Armstead 8th (probably the best pro of the entire bunch)

Well, TOC beat me to it but while doing some early 90's draft research, I did find a tough nosed Penn State linebacker who got drafted in the second round by the name of Mark D'Onofrio.

Advertisement
Well, TOC beat me to it but while doing some early 90's draft research, I did find a tough nosed Penn State linebacker who got drafted in the second round by the name of Mark D'Onofrio.

Yeah I think Green Bay

It would have been a great matchup. By far their best team in school history, and arguably the best Pac-12 team of all-time. No exaggeration.

But the 1991 Canes are the greatest college defense of all time, bar none. We held F$U to 16 points at home and they were the best offense in CFB before that game. We also beat a top-10 Penn State team that year. Until the F$U game, the Canes defense did not allow a touchdown in the first half ALL SEASON. The 1991 Canes had the best linebacking trio in CFB history, plus future NFL stalwart CB Ryan McNeil. Sonny Lubick as DC. It doesn't get any better.

Both of us dominated common opponent Arizona, but Wash put up more points (not surprising) at home. We played Zona on the road.

Wash beat common opponent Nebraska 36-21 on the road, in a game that they interestingly trailed 9-21 in the 3rd quarter. Kudos on the comeback. The Canes blanked Nebraska 22-0 in a bowl game that the offensive players and coaches clearly stopped taking seriously at halftime.

Prior to F$U, we only trailed vs. Pedo State 6-3 at one point. Let that sink in.

Advertisement
It would have been a great matchup. By far their best team in school history, and arguably the best Pac-12 team of all-time. No exaggeration.

But the 1991 Canes are the greatest college defense of all time, bar none. We held F$U to 16 points at home and they were the best offense in CFB before that game. We also beat a top-10 Penn State team that year. Until the F$U game, the Canes defense did not allow a touchdown in the first half ALL SEASON. The 1991 Canes had the best linebacking trio in CFB history, plus future NFL stalwart CB Ryan McNeil. Sonny Lubick as DC. It doesn't get any better.

Both of us dominated common opponent Arizona, but Wash put up more points (not surprising) at home. We played Zona on the road.

Wash beat common opponent Nebraska 36-21 on the road, in a game that they interestingly trailed 9-21 in the 3rd quarter. Kudos on the comeback. The Canes blanked Nebraska 22-0 in a bowl game that the offensive players and coaches clearly stopped taking seriously at halftime.

Prior to F$U, we only trailed vs. Pedo State 6-3 at one point. Let that sink in.
All great points! I still stand by my statement that we would've beaten them because of our D - they would've been shellshocked when they faced that D, and also because they wouldn't have stopped Toretta and that group of WR's. We wouldn't have blown them out, but we beat them probably 28-20.

The correct answer is, "Okay, why don't you buy me a beer and tell me all about it?"

They certainly won in the NFL draft busts department!

Advertisement

Why didn’t you just tell him that nothing at UW in ‘91 happens without Miami (and the CFB HOF Miami grad leading the Huskies).

We also had a TD called back on a BS call in the 22-0 game...

Advertisement
Back