Need insight into the baseball team

why can't NIL make up (and more) the difference between us and state schools?

didn't vandy and stanford make up their disadvantage through essentially a student-body wide fund that will cover tuition for any student who cannot pay to finish schooling?

Advertisement
Monte Lee shouldn’t have been fired by Clemson. The Covid year they were cruising for their 5th regional in a row and then 2021 they took a step back and 2022 they already almost got it turned back around. Then USCE scooped him up right away named him associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.

They went out and hired Eric Backich who had the 2019 year at Michigan but other than that has just been a solid head coach at Maryland and Michigan. He also already whined about Ucf show boating when they got steam rolled by them.

Monte Lee shouldn’t have been fired by Clemson. The Covid year they were cruising for their 5th regional in a row and then 2021 they took a step back and 2022 they already almost got it turned back around. Then USCE scooped him up right away named him associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.

They went out and hired Eric Backich who had the 2019 year at Michigan but other than that has just been a solid head coach at Maryland and Michigan. He also already whined about Ucf show boating when they got steam rolled by them.
now explain extending SMD I mean Gino

Advertisement
If he truly is not collecting money… It does nothing. Just an optics move to instill confidence “hey recruit I’m going no where” But the true test will be this year or next after we have two more mediocre years which this season is looking to be potentially real bad unless some young arms figure it out quick. Will Rad make the move.

I’ll be optimistic and say yes…but I think he will give Gino the option to step down to save face.

didn't vandy and stanford make up their disadvantage through essentially a student-body wide fund that will cover tuition for any student who cannot pay to finish schooling?
Vandy used their education to lure ex MLB players kids to school. I don't know what they did other than that.

If he truly is not collecting money… It does nothing. Just an optics move to instill confidence “hey recruit I’m going no where” But the true test will be this year or next after we have two more mediocre years which this season is looking to be potentially real bad unless some young arms figure it out quick. Will Rad make the move.

I’ll be optimistic and say yes…but I think he will give Gino the option to step down to save face.
how's that confidence looking as he corches it up

This season looks like it might be a real dookie… if Rad has a set of nuts he lets Gino go and brings in some fresh new blood.

Advertisement

Well...this could be good if you really get out and find guys who you can throw outstanding financial packages at. If Gino is let go the coach coming in could go out and hammer the portal and really transform this roster in a hurry.

I am not dumping on Gino either. I do think its time to move on from him. But I wont slander him. I'll question yes but I wont put him down. His family has done a lot and I am sure if he has any self awareness he sees this isnt working all while dealing with the loss of his father who had the same love for this school as he does. Someone who Im sure everywhere he turns he is reminded of him and someone he'd probably love to hand a talk with during tough times.

Advertisement

Well...this could be good if you really get out and find guys who you can throw outstanding financial packages at. If Gino is let go the coach coming in could go out and hammer the portal and really transform this roster in a hurry.

I am not dumping on Gino either. I do think its time to move on from him. But I wont slander him. I'll question yes but I wont put him down. His family has done a lot and I am sure if he has any self awareness he sees this isnt working all while dealing with the loss of his father who had the same love for this school as he does. Someone who Im sure everywhere he turns he is reminded of him and someone he'd probably love to hand a talk with during tough times.

Unless this is setting the stage for more scholarships, not sure how this is a good thing. A 40 man roster in baseball seems unmanageable and will likely benefit state schools even more, no? Now, UF and others will have even more pitching depth, two quality position players at every position, etc.

Is a partial scholarship or walk-on player going to come to Miami to be third on the depth chart?

Unless this is setting the stage for more scholarships, not sure how this is a good thing. A 40 man roster in baseball seems unmanageable and will likely benefit state schools even more, no? Now, UF and others will have even more pitching depth, two quality position players at every position, etc.

Is a partial scholarship or walk-on player going to come to Miami to be third on the depth chart?
Thats going to be the creative piece. It def could bury us. But maybe some NIL, high academic, etc could help. The other piece is I think this is leading to at least a bump in scholarships...maybe 15-18 to start?

Advertisement

My recollection was that the State of Tennessee created additional scholies somehow via academics for all Tennessee institutions, public or private.

I'm not absolving ANYONE... we have issues, at the top for sure, and elsewhere. But AWAY from Gino's evaluation (any mouth-breathers who need to read that again, please do so)...

I just can't get over the inequity of us having 11.7 scholarships for 27 players when our school costs $70k a year while other state schools have 11.7 scholarships for 27 players when their school costs $25k a year.

That's $688,500 more non-athletic scholarship money our players have to find a way to cover, either financially, or via other earned scholarships I guess, than the players at UF, FSU, etc. have to cover.

It's an incredible disadvantage, and until something is done to somewhat even it out, we are going to be playing behind the 8-ball for a long while, regardless who our coach is.

Like Wake Forest? Research their tuition vs ours.Come on we have always had that disparity when we were winning. Rice, Vandy, Wake, Duke, Notre Dame all have tuitions very similar to Miami. That is not the issue.

Like Wake Forest? Research their tuition vs ours.Come on we have always had that disparity when we were winning. Rice, Vandy, Wake, Duke, Notre Dame all have tuitions very similar to Miami. That is not the issue.

Yeah, exactly like Wake Forest, amigo. Wake is having a great first half of a season. Ok. They also won half their ACC games last year and got bounced out of the NCAA's right quick, went 10-22 in the conference in 2021, 1-2 in 2020 (Covid year), 14-16 in 2019, and 13-17 in 2018. One the last five years they've been a bottom half ACC program.

Vanderbilt, ha. The Opportunity Vanderbilt Program has been a game changer for them. Google it. It's literally an example of how a school/program is having to go to extraordinary lengths and expense to compete with their state school rivals. That actually cements my point!

Rice is unranked and playing .500 ball. Duke and Notre Dame aren't ranked and are .500 or worse in the ACC.

Why would you use those three struggling, middling programs as examples? Again, they prove my point.

It's not that complicated, our players have to come up with around 2-3x as much $ as most of our rivals in the aggregate, either through academic scholarships, cash, or loans, etc. It's not a level playing field.

Advertisement
Back