Ndamukong Suh - Miami Recruiting Story

I’m so sure the Oklahoma football team were spending their Saturday and Sunday nights calmly on campus watching film and making sure they got their full 8 hrs of sleep.
Especially since in those college towns there is no partying or drinking.
No one recognizes them at all so what’s the point of going out.
I mean no free meals or drinks or any special treatment.

Advertisement
Serious football players aren't picking schools based on how much "fun" is likely. This is a fan-driven narrative, much like the magazines/websites who come up with "best party school" ratings. Loser ****.

Serious football players aren't picking schools based on how much "fun" is likely. This is a fan-driven narrative, much like the magazines/websites who come up with "best party school" ratings. Loser ****.
I agree with the latter part of your statement that the #1 party school stuff is loser **** but not the former statement.

When you are saying "serious football player" in this context you are saying a "serious 17-18 year old" there are very few of those today and they can easily be swayed by girls, money, cars etc. It is the very reason coaches try to get "cool cars" and ish on campus for official visits. Any "serious football player" shouldnt be picking a school based on cars etc. but they do.

Advertisement
This story also lends perspective on kids that visit just for the vacation to Miami but really don't have a real interest in attending the school. I fully believe that most kids know where they are going to school as soon as the get the offer that they really want.

Ndamukong Suh was on Ryen Russillo's podcast and shared an interesting story about his Miami visit:

"I went to Miami and had the time of my life. I was in Coconut Grove, eating steaks, going to nightclubs. After I woke up Sunday morning to fly home I was like...I will not be going to school here. I'll have way too much fun. This is not the place for me."

Just thought it was interesting perspective on how all that Miami has to offer can actually work against us sometimes.
My cousin was a highly recruited basketball player in the early 90's. He came on a recruiting visit, and he pretty much echoed the same thing. "Man, I loved my visit to Miami... but dammit, I wanna graduate, some day." Ended up at Clemson.

Plenty of our commits come here for the 'fun'. Manny in particular seemed to really try to sell that aspect of the school.

edit: didn't see the qualifier, 'serious'. We've had a lot of less than serious kids lately on the team.

Advertisement
It wasn't the deciding factor but the fact that there was more to do in Orlando than just "campus life" was definitely a factor in choosing UCF for me.

Ndamukong Suh was on Ryen Russillo's podcast and shared an interesting story about his Miami visit:

"I went to Miami and had the time of my life. I was in Coconut Grove, eating steaks, going to nightclubs. After I woke up Sunday morning to fly home I was like...I will not be going to school here. I'll have way too much fun. This is not the place for me."

Just thought it was interesting perspective on how all that Miami has to offer can actually work against us sometimes.
He’s in the small % of kids who don’t wanna have fun. He must not be lying he went to Nebraska.

My cousin was a highly recruited basketball player in the early 90's. He came on a recruiting visit, and he pretty much echoed the same thing. "Man, I loved my visit to Miami... but dammit, I wanna graduate, some day." Ended up at Clemson.
Another example of making your way into boring country. But that’s why we live in America

The way the culture was he probably wasn’t wrong.

If he came around 01 and saw the culture/practices (And the success) he probably thinks a little different.

Advertisement
I could make a natty team with the guys that almost came here during out down years lol

Not everyone has self control especially at that age …honestly good for him that he recognized it in himself

Advertisement
Consider the context.

Sue was class of 2005. Nevin Shapiro was 2002 - 2010. Larry Coker was 2001-2006.

I suspect that the visits in that time frame were beyond fun and were bordering on Caligula territory.

We all have those friends that are just too much and can only be taken in short doses. Some friends you can hang out with every weekend. Some friends you can only meet in Vegas once a year or they would destroy you. I suspect that the early 2000's visits were the Vegas friends.

Besides, being serious is about more than your ability to handle the temptations. It is about the culture you are stepping into. **** if I want to be triple teamed on Saturday because the entire defensive line was partying all night on Friday and half-assing it in the weight room all offseason. If it were me, I would be more concerned about the partying behavior of the people hosting me.

Consider the context.

Sue was class of 2005. Nevin Shapiro was 2002 - 2010. Larry Coker was 2001-2006.

I suspect that the visits in that time frame were beyond fun and were bordering on Caligula territory.

We all have those friends that are just too much and can only be taken in short doses. Some friends you can hang out with every weekend. Some friends you can only meet in Vegas once a year or they would destroy you. I suspect that the early 2000's visits were the Vegas friends.

Besides, being serious is about more than your ability to handle the temptations. It is about the culture you are stepping into. **** if I want to be triple teamed on Saturday because the entire defensive line was partying all night on Friday and half-assing it in the weight room all offseason. If it were me, I would be more concerned about the partying behavior of the people hosting me.

There were players that came here with a serious attitude, but as soon as they saw other players partying after losses, they fell in line and didn't give AF about winning & losing. Happened to every coach after Butch.

Advertisement
Back