ND was probably the last "big game" we played

B Run

Sophomore
Premium
I'm not counting the ACCCG because I think we all knew how that would play out. However after the ND game there was an excitement about Miami football we haven't felt in a long time but I think many still had reservations. The game against Clemson brings the same excitement but this time around different expectations should they win? If Miami indeed does beat Clemson, doesn't even need to be a blowout like ND, are the expectations for us, not the media, that we are officially "back". For the record, I hate when the media asks that every year just because the Canes won their first 3 games. The fans are the best and only true gage on this. I feel not only would a win give us a true sense of the "back" feeling for this season but more importantly beyond this season. Already killing it in recruiting and Manny is the master of the portal. A nationally televised game for the third time in a row for us continues to keep us in the spotlight. Just to be clear, I am asking would your feeling of being "back" just off a win at Clemson feel legit unlike still having reservations after the ND game. I am fully aware they can't lose to Ga Tech again or ***** up the rest of the season.

Advertisement
I'm not counting the ACCCG because I think we all knew how that would play out. However after the ND game there was an excitement about Miami football we haven't felt in a long time but I think many still had reservations. The game against Clemson brings the same excitement but this time around different expectations should they win? If Miami indeed does beat Clemson, doesn't even need to be a blowout like ND, are the expectations for us, not the media, that we are officially "back". For the record, I hate when the media asks that every year just because the Canes won their first 3 games. The fans are the best and only true gage on this. I feel not only would a win give us a true sense of the "back" feeling for this season but more importantly beyond this season. Already killing it in recruiting and Manny is the master of the portal. A nationally televised game for the third time in a row for us continues to keep us in the spotlight. Just to be clear, I am asking would your feeling of being "back" just off a win at Clemson feel legit unlike still having reservations after the ND game. I am fully aware they can't lose to Ga Tech again or ***** up the rest of the season.
If somehow we were able to win this game I wouldn't say we are back necessarily cuz we technically only played like a third of our schedule. We have to approach each game from here on out just like we approached FSU mentally. However a win against Clemson would put us in the express lane as far as getting this thing turned around and competing for top notch recruits. It will also give us a momentum surge unlike we have seen in the last 17 years. I will even say if we keep it close throughout we will still reap benefits in recruiting

Being "Back" means we are relevant again. Is that not what everyone means when we say "we're back"? Everyone has their own ideas of what that is but I measure relevance as playing January football. The Clemson game is big, and if we end up leaving with a win I expect a lot of fans to throw around that phrase but let's put things in perspective a bit. Clemson is just one regular season game of many that we need to win to claw our wy back to the promise land.

Advertisement
We win or play well and lose a close one (especially on the road even with a reduced crowd) and everyone will take real notice. Then it will be about bouncing back and beating good Pitt and UVA teams and keeping this thing going. Then it is continuing to stack talent which we are doing, including finding a good QB solution for next year.

Oh, we beat Clemson, we're back. That's the number one team in the land, or **** close to it. Are we sustainably back, that's a different question entirely. That day, we're considered a contender, that's back to me.
I think back in the early 2000's after we beat #1 FSU in 2000 in the OB was when I felt we were officially "back". Of course it was a different time back then but that is kind of the feeling I am talking about.

Miami will be back when they play hard the whole year and even if they loose, keep games competitive.

There have been other years like 2017, where the team was freaky good in streaks, but then didn't show up, lost focus etc. They need to be mentally tough, year over year, have consistent top 5-10 recruiting classes, and dominate teams they should dominate.

They can't play down to their competition anymore, they need to always be hungry, and they need to be expertly coached.

I love everything I'm seeing, though I have to say, the consistency of the defense has me a touch concerned this year, and yes I know part of that is the scheme, it's boom or bust. I also want to see the offense productive all 4 quarters, even after they make adjustments I don't want to see a quarter with no points scored.

Advertisement
Clemson is a totally different animal then N Lame

We are back when we get to the playoffs consistently and ultimately win #6

Recruiting class 20 and 21 plus few key transfers are elite and should take us there with with the right coaching

Back for Miami is not pulling off a big win, it's consistently competing for national titles year in and year out. That's the standard that's been set and the bar shouldn't be lowered because we're starved for success.

Also, beating Clemson would be the biggest victory this program has had in a long time, but because it's so early in the season I would A. question how good this year's Clemson team is and B. still question if Manny can have the team play at a consistently high level throughout the season.

Advertisement
I don’t want to hear “We are back” but rather “we are on our way!” All of this stuff would be signs of what is to come.

It’s going to take a Herculean effort by someone similar to Edgerrin James against UCLA. I’m getting Miami-UCLA 1998 vibes from this game. We will be a similar large underdog and most around the country aren’t going to give us a shot.

I am not going to say we are back but It is the biggest regular season game in decades in my book.

Clemson has been the Gold Standard of our Conference and the whole country for about 5 years now.

We win this game in Prime Time and we are a Top 3 team and the team to beat not only for the ACC but for the playoffs.

It can be a moment that not only defines a season but also defines the trajectory of the program for years to come.

Advertisement
Back to relevancy? Not too far. Back to the U? Going to need a good string of top 5 classes for that.

This

2000 FSU we were "back"

Clemson is 77-5 in their last 82 football games

They played for a Natty in 2015, won a Natty in 2016, Went 12-2 in 2017, won a Natty in 2018, and played for a Natty in 2019.

They're the #1 team in the country with the best QB prospect of the last 20 years.

We play them at Clemson, where they have won 23 consecutive games, which happens to be the longest home winning streak currently in the country.

They have won 31 consecutive ACC regular season games, which is the longest streak in the history of the conference.

We are 3-0, ranked #8 in the country with the literal current Heisman Trophy frontrunner playing QB, and we just put the worst beatdown on our most hated rival in the 65 year history of the series.

If we go into that building and win, we are ******* back and none of you can tell me a god**** thing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back